Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

A tale of two 455s

This was a post-'70 thing, a nod towards increasing fuel economy. Pontiac did it too after '70 (2bbls on the largest displacement V-8s), tho it was not common. Instead, smaller motors became standard- the '70 Cat had the 350 standard for the first time- a 'lil' motor instead of the usual 389/400.

Yup, the 2V carb sitting on top of all those cubic inches.

Friend of mine had a '69 Caprice with the 396 & 2V carb. My '71 Newport had the 383 V8 & 2V. My granny's '71 Marquis Brougham had the 429 V8 & 2V (and a 10.5:1 compression ratio!).

A good friend of mine had a '71 Custom Cruiser and he assumed it had a 4V carb on it--until he took the air cleaner lid off and spied that dinky little carb down in there. I still remember the look of dismay on his face to this day.

I went to an Oldsmobile show a few years back and there was a '69 88 convertible with a 455 2V under the hood hooked to a 3-on-the tree-tranny. That had to be a very rare combination.

Edited by NeonLX

A carb is pretty easy so swap out... adn then you have a real moster. Still muhc better years for GM than today.

The lack of the B-body nevermind big-block V8s available in avarage sedans is sad.

I went to an Oldsmobile show a few years back and there was a '69 88 convertible with a 455 2V under the hood hooked to a 3-on-the tree-tranny.  That had to be a very rare combination.

I might be able to shed a bit of light on this subject although I believe it was a '70. A member of the Illinois Valley Olds Club the late Bill Lawerence wanted to buy an 88 'vert but the sticker showed and added cost for the automatic. He complained and complained until they were able to locate a manual for him. I believe he was able to research it and find that there was only 3 ever produced in this fashion and the transmission had FORD truck roots. Also to help identify the particular car you saw I believe it was blue with a white top and white interior. I remember feeling bad for Bill as he drove that car in the convoy to Lansing for the 100th Olds anniv. - We drove through Indiana in stop and go traffic... Imagine having clutch-foot in that car...

I might be able to shed a bit of light on this subject although I believe it was a '70.  A member of the Illinois Valley Olds Club the late Bill Lawerence wanted to buy an 88 'vert but the sticker showed and added cost for the automatic.  He complained and complained until they were able to locate a manual for him.  I believe he was able to research it and find that there was only 3 ever produced in this fashion and the transmission had FORD truck roots.  Also to help identify the particular car you saw I believe it was blue with a white top and white interior.  I remember feeling bad for Bill as he drove that car in the convoy to Lansing for the 100th Olds anniv. - We drove through Indiana in stop and go traffic... Imagine having clutch-foot in that car...

Yup, that was the car! It was at an Olds meet in Madison, WI many years back--Maybe even back in the early '90s. I couldn't remember if it was a '69 or '70 but the three in the tree, coupled to a 455 2V, definitely sticks in my mind.

Thanks for filling me in on the details!