The State of our Infrastructure

Let's share stories about the state of the infrastructure in the state you live. In this case I'm going to point out the state of bridges in Massachusetts (and some in NH near the border).

As of 2008, there were 543 bridges that were structurally deficient "due to years of neglect" in Massachusetts. The state was forced to initiate an emergency rehabilitation and/or replacement program to get these bridges back up to code. Link

Here's example of just what I have personally seen/see every day (except the bridges opening up).

In Methuen they had to do major structure renovations to the the bridge which goes over 213, and had to close the whole bridge down to do it. Several years ago a bridge which crosses over the Spicket River in Methuen collapsed and they had to rebuild it.

In Lawrence they had to redo part of the structure on the 114 bridge, and now they are working on redoing the 28 bridge (which has been in terrible shape for years).

In Tyngsboro they closed down the iconic open, braced rib bridge for repairs. The bridge is in such poor shape their are holes in it where you can see the river below. They erected one of those temp bridges next to it.

tyngsboro_1.gif

Supposedly it's finally being renovated.

In Lowell they performed renovations to the School Street Bridge a few year ago. Meanwhile, the University Ave Bridge was closed several times during my Senior year due structure concerns. It was completely closed down at one point to preform emergency repairs. Apparently a temp fix while they build a whole new bridge.

university_ave_1.gif

The orange barrels are a new feature, as recent inspections have determined that the steel on one side of the bridge is too damaged to hold the weight of passing vehicles, including the city bus and emergency vehicles. This is the side from which I am taking the pictures.

Once the UMass students cross this terrifying span, they must pass over yet another treacherous bridge, though fortunately this one is much shorter. As long as you don

uml_1.gif

uml_2.gif

Here's an example of a permanent temporary fix - the Rourke Bridge. This span was hastily erected over 20 years ago on behalf of Wang laboratories, a large regional electronics/computer manufacturer who have since become defunct:

rourke_1.gif

They're also the bridge which connects 38 to 110. It's undergoing major structural repairs, but the bridge is partially open because it can't be closed completely.

On I495 they are doing huge bridge work replacing the bridges which cross over Billerica. On Route 2, which itself is horrible inadequate for the amount of traffic around Leominster, the I190 junction, and Fitchburg, they have the bridges which cross over Gardner partially closed down while they preform extensive repairs.

In Athol they had to close down the R32 bridge which connects Athol to Orange (and had to squeeze in a narrow temp bridge) in order to repair and resurface it. It's been closed for at least a year. It's finally partially opened while they work on the South side of the bridge.

This isn't MA but worth mentioning:

In Salem, NH they had to close down one of the bridges to preform structure repairs and resurfacing. They had to replace one of the bridges that crosses I93, and they're working to either replace or repair/renovate another 4 bridges that connect or are part of I93.

And that's just what I've personally seen.

Within the past few weeks there have been four incidents with 3 bridges involving slabs of concrete collapsing. I can't remember the other two, but the big one was the I93 bridge near Medford. These were large enough to severely damage several cars.

hole2pix.jpg

"Officials said the two holes that opened 25 feet apart were not the typical spring potholes bemoaned by New England drivers, but were caused by something far more serious: the decay of concrete and steel attributed to years of postponed maintenance."

Yeah, there's nothing wrong with our bridges.

MA looks like an infrastructure sh!thole, I agree.

Here in Jersey, things aren't nearly this bad- crews are CONSTANTLY dwaddling over road work.

I firmly believe some scenarios are 'over-graded' tho, there's definitely opportunity to play things over safe. Yes- I also firmly believe that's a real thing.

The one bridge I was quite familiar with over a span of many years was a steel overpass, road traffic over a RR line.

Build right about 1913, it was closed to (the very infrequent) car traffic circa 1990, then demolished about 8 yrs later and replaced with a concrete monstrosity instead of being repaired.

I was underneath this bridge numerous times, the contained areas of corrosion penetration were easily repairable, and the decking needed to be replaced.

Instead I have no doubt the replacement cost millions.

Sometimes I think fear -and misguided faith in the 'new'- drives too many of these decisions.

MA looks like an infrastructure sh!thole, I agree.

Here in Jersey, things aren't nearly this bad- crews are CONSTANTLY dwaddling over road work.

I firmly believe some scenarios are 'over-graded' tho, there's definitely opportunity to play things over safe. Yes- I also firmly believe that's a real thing.

Your area of Jersey must have a better track record than ours out towards the shore.

We have had a series of bridge upgrades in the last 10 years... but before that, it was pretty dire. Even today, the bridges that make up Ocean Drive in Cape May are pretty awful. Beesley's Point bridge has been closed down for about 4 years now...

I worry more about the small bridges... ones that you barely notice you are driving over. I've seen quite a few of these from underneath and its scary. Just because they slather the top with some asphalt, they aren't necessarily safe.

For example... there are the bridges on Rt 559 near Weymouth furnance. They covered them with asphalt... but to view the one bridge over the sluice way from the side... you can see where they propped up the banks of the bridge abutments with sandbags... then just paved over it! And the other bridge over the main river has collapsed into the river at least twice in the last 15 years. They recently fixed it... but its a rare type of bridge, protected on the national register, IIRC... and driving over it is an adventure. The lanes are crooked, too narrow with little guardrail. And whatever is below the fresh asphalt must be a disaster, as the new asphalt always rips up in a short time.

They are constantly lowering weight limits or lanes to keep the bridges from being overstressed. Or temporarily closing the whole bridge... happened to the 9th Street bridge into Ocean City a couple times recently.

Sometimes I think fear -and misguided faith in the 'new'- drives too many of these decisions.

I generally agree... but in some areas of the northeast, its called for... the bridges are disasters.

Drive over the Brooklyn Bridge late at night and observe the roadway sag... its kinda scary.