Ford U.S. Sales Rose 6 Percent in August

Link: http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?...8&make_id=trust

FORD'S U.S. SALES ROSE 6 PERCENT IN AUGUST

Overall, Ford Motor Company's U.S. sales totaled 288,429, up 6 percent compared with a year ago.

Car sales up 22 percent as Ford Mustang, Ford Five Hundred and Mercury Montego continue to pace car revival.

Truck sales equal to a year ago as record F-Series and crossover utility sales are neutralized by lower sales of traditional sport utility models.

Land Rover dealers report record August sales as new LR3 and Range Rover Sport boost sales 78 percent

Ford announces fourth quarter North American production plans.

DEARBORN, Mich., September 1 - Ford Motor Company reported higher vehicle sales in August, benefiting from its strengthened lineup of cars and crossover utilities and continued strong sales of its F-Series truck. It was the third month in a row the company posted higher sales.

Overall, U.S. consumers purchased 288,429 new vehicles from Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Jaguar, Land Rover and Volvo dealers in August, up 6 percent compared with a year ago. Car sales surged 22 percent reflecting strong sales of the new Ford Mustang, Ford Five Hundred, and Mercury Montego as well as the Ford Focus. August truck sales were equal to a year ago as record sales of the F-Series truck (90,388) and higher sales of crossover utilities (up 52 percent) were neutralized by lower sales of traditional sport utility models.

On a year-to-date basis, Ford sales are up 1 percent with cars up 5 percent and trucks down 1 percent.

"In 2005, new products have helped us achieve significant inroads among car buyers and in the growing crossover utility market," said Steve Lyons, Ford group vice president North America Marketing, Sales and Service. "These segments likely will continue to attract buyers in an environment where gasoline prices are rising. We're optimistic we can achieve further gains with the introduction of three all-new mid-size cars - the Ford Fusion, Mercury Milan, and Lincoln Zephyr - and the Mercury Mariner hybrid utility vehicle."

All of these products are set to debut in October. In addition, the redesigned Ford Explorer and Mercury Mountaineer will be introduced in October.

"There's no question that demand for traditional sport utility vehicles has been affected by rising gas prices as well as significant changes in buyer demographics and product offerings," said Lyons. "Still, the traditional utility segment is large and we have a strong reputation and share in this segment. The features and value incorporated in the new Explorer and Mountaineer will strengthen our position."

Overall, sales of traditional sport utility vehicles declined 33 percent in August. Land Rover was a notable exception as the all-new LR3 and Range Rover Sport models resulted in record sales and a 78 percent increase compared with a year ago.

Ford's F-Series truck continued its record setting pace. August sales for America's best-selling vehicle were 90,388 - a record for the month. Year-to-date, F-Series' sales total 625,047, up 5 percent from a year ago.

North American Production
The company plans to build 830,000 vehicles (245,000 cars and 585,000 trucks) in its North American assembly plants in the fourth quarter 2005. In the fourth quarter 2004, the company produced 829,000 vehicles (225,000 cars and 604,000 trucks).

In the third quarter of 2005, the company plans to build 730,000 vehicles (210,000 cars and 520,000 trucks), unchanged from the previously announced plan.

While it is a little better than the Charger/300/Magnum did, it is still a far cry what what the Taurus alone was doing for them for a couple of years.

[post="8170"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Planned capacity for the Fusion is like 300,000 units.

The Five Hundred plus Fusion sales will more than make up for lost taurus sales.

No car will be a huge volume leader anymore, at least until we rid the planet of those ghastly Camrys and Accords that the boomer loser crowd loves so much.

Freestyle + 500 + Montego = 22156

Add Taurus and Sable to that and that's not at all shabby chic.

And GM does well with the Impala/Malibu combo, although it takes lots of cash on the hood to move em. Edited by regfootball

the 500 and Freestyle + Montego sold over 22,000 units!!!!!!!!

HOW IS THAT A FAILURE??????? like some auto journalists say?

22,000 UNITS!

[post="8167"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Probably because the just-launched '06 Impala (14500 units) is already selling better than the 500, and is doing so without employee pricing.

Yeah, the 500 and Fusion will make up the sales numbers, but since they're pretty different vehicles, the costs wont be spread out as much so they wont be as profitable.  And good luck getting rid of the CamCordimas, they're like herpes.

[post="8182"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

the 500 and Freestyle and fusion were cheap to design and build since its mostly the Volvo S80 and Mazda6 already. Those cars cost less to design and build than you think.

BTW, Mazda 6 is up 60% and Mazda 3 continues to sell well. I am amazed at how the Mazda6 is increasing. The car had been out on the rest of the planet for like 2 years before it got HERE, and is already a tired desgin, but it has lots of rebate support now from Ford and its a great value now.

Lesson, value still sells. Edited by regfootball

So basically the only way Ford can sell a car is if someone else does all of the engineering.

[post="8191"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Considering the bang up press the Fusion is getting this month in the buff books, I'd say its not at all a bad idea. Ford put a nice front end on their car and made it an equal to the Accord. GM puts a killer fish face on their car (Malibu) and other foibles and it takes almost 2 years for it to ramp up to popularity.

Besides, it sounds like Opel and Daewoo are doing most of GM's engineering now these days.....so I'm not sure what your point is there. I'd rather have Volvo and Mazda engineering my cars than Hyundai, or Daewoo, or Chery or whoever GM has doing for them now. Thankfully GM is finally going global now, its a good thing we're not shipping all those pushrod v6's, bench seats, and rear drum brakes off to Europe. If we did, there'd be a revolt. Edited by regfootball

Probably because the just-launched '06 Impala (14500 units) is already selling better than the 500, and is doing so without employee pricing.

[post="8181"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

those impala sales were still mostly 05's dude. and fleets. i know my friend would give away his left and right nut TODAY if his company would offer him a 500 as his company car. Instead I have to listen to him moan about how they took away his Taurus and gave him a current style MALIBU. If Ford did dump 500's into fleets, they could easily double their figures.

The 06 Impala does deserve to sell well though, it will likely push 300k a year. I hope those come more at the expense of Camrys though. Edited by regfootball

No, go read the GM press release if you don't believe me, 14.5k 06 Impalas were sold (plus some 05s which made the total number more than 14.5k).

Chevrolet's high volume car, the new Impala, is off to a strong start with more than 14,500 sales of the 2006 model in August.

No, go read the GM press release if you don't believe me, 14.5k 06 Impalas were sold (plus some 05s which made the total number more than 14.5k).

[post="8215"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

yeah that's good, but it needs to do about 20,000 + a month to match what the 05 sold.

what made ME sick was that like 47,000 accords sold last month or some ridiculous figure. Damn, we need to blow up Honda. Edited by regfootball

yeah that's good, but it needs to do about 20,000 + a month to match what the 05 sold.

what made ME sick was that like 47,000 accords sold last month or some ridiculous figure.  Damn, we need to blow up Honda.

[post="8226"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

It's called ramp up. Not every dealership has their '06 Impalas in. Once the MC hits. It's going to do wonders.

I'll admit. I hate the design (and have said that from Day 1) however if it sells and makes GM money.....more power to them!

Whats amazing about the Impy is that they seem to be flying off lots. Part of the reasons dealers dont have them is ramp up, the other part is that they seem to be sold within a couple of days. Has anyone else noticed this? The dealers will get 4-5 in one day, park them up front and the'll all be sold in a couple of days. Same with the HHR. I cant say that about Ford, the bumbling idiot of the car industry.

Whats amazing about the Impy is that they seem to be flying off lots.  Part of the reasons dealers dont have them is ramp up, the other part is that they seem to be sold within a couple of days.  Has anyone else noticed this?  The dealers will get 4-5 in one day, park them up front and the'll all be sold in a couple of days.  Same with the HHR.  I cant say that about Ford, the bumbling idiot of the car industry.

[post="8241"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Ford's holding its own, considering how badly Jacques Nasser starved the car side of Ford for any new models for like 5 years. The Focus came out in 2000, the Taurus was 96/2000. Aside from that was the Crown Vic. Ford is not putting out sizzling product.......they are trying to Toyotafy themselves. Five years was too long without Ford getting any new cars.

Ford should just be Ford Trucks, completely dump the car side of the business. Let Mercury and Lincoln get sedans, coupes and wagons, Ford can be their GMC. Mercury can get the Focus(Tracer perhaps?), Milan (add a wagon), Montego and that minivan thing and Lincoln can go above that. Ford can have the Escape, Explorer, Expedition and F-series.

Whats amazing about the Impy is that they seem to be flying off lots.  Part of the reasons dealers dont have them is ramp up, the other part is that they seem to be sold within a couple of days.  Has anyone else noticed this?  The dealers will get 4-5 in one day, park them up front and the'll all be sold in a couple of days.  Same with the HHR.  I cant say that about Ford, the bumbling idiot of the car industry.

[post="8241"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I think that has a lot to do with car people like us who know a new model is coming and who order one in April and May and get some of the first ones built. Last time I was at my dealer in June I asked a sales guy to give me a call when the first Impala arrived and it turned out they had a list of 4 or 5 people who had asked to be called when they new model arrived. They called me a few weeks back and I went over that night and 2 of the 3 they received had been sold, they were still there and I was able to check them out but they were sold that 1st day.

what made ME sick was that like 47,000 accords sold last month or some ridiculous figure.  Damn, we need to blow up Honda.

[post="8226"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I think that considering the Impala just started arriving to dealerships this month for the most part that 14.5k sales is pretty damn good. The 500 already had a full stock and had EPP. The 05 Impalas had huge rebates too.

14.5k in less than a month with VERY limited supply is pretty damn good if you ask me. Also, considering that GM usually rolls out the higher-end models first, that means that a lot of them were probbaly LTZs and SSs, not the volume LS and LT models. My dealer still hasn't gotten any but a $31k SS.