I'm being discriminated...

... for driving domestic.

I was talking to my friend yesterday, and he starts explaining how Chinese people should not be driving an American, and I should switch off from my Pontiac on my next car. He says it's a matter of reputation and it's destroying mine.

:blink::stupid:

sigh... This perception thing will never end.

has he ever drivin a chinese car? I can imagine buick is ALOT better for them.

Has he ever been in your G6? Its one of the better pontiacs ive driven besides the GP GXP.

smack him one time for me! THATS AN ORDER!!

Yes, a few of them.

They just insist that I should be driving an import, for the heck of it.

And then on to the usual claims that import punks give out, e.g. how domestics are outdated, inferior quality, HP/L (interesting enough this was given by a guy who drives the Si, and he claims he knows so much about cars. He's into modding and ricing, and doesn NOT admit it's rice), etc...

They're hopeless.

I've never understood why Chinese are so addicted to Japanese cars. After all, Japan was no friend of theirs during WWII. If it wasn't for the Americans, Beijing would be filling with grass and weeds while most Chinese would be in labor camps.

Many times I have had Asian customers walk onto the lot and demand to know why they should buy an North American car....I want to mutter something about loyalty to the country that is hosting them, but I don't. I just sigh inwardly.

I've never understood why Chinese are so addicted to Japanese cars.  After all, Japan was no friend of theirs during WWII.  If it wasn't for the Americans, Beijing would be filling with grass and weeds while most Chinese would be in labor camps.

Many times I have had Asian customers walk onto the lot and demand to know why they should buy an North American car....I want to mutter something about loyalty to the country that is hosting them, but I don't.  I just sigh inwardly.

My friend said it was a "reputation" thing, as I said in the first post. I asked him why, but he couldn't give a reason. Then he went on and said I'm the one of the only two American car drivers he know. The other one, being a Pontiac Wave, he says it's not American (well it is, in a way).

This is the thing I don't understand. What does American cars have to do with the reputation??

I was talking to my friend yesterday, and he starts explaining how Chinese people should not be driving an American, and I should switch off from my Pontiac on my next car. He says it's a matter of reputation and it's destroying mine.

:blink:  :stupid:

I'm half-Chinese on my mother's side and I get the same thing. I kindly respond I live in this country, they do too...what's their excuse? That pisses some people off and honestly? I love it.

I don't understand the 'reputation' bit, too. Far as I know, I can't buy a Chinese-built car yet here in the states. You guys getting a special allocation of shoddily-built Cavalier knockoffs up there, Toni?

:blink:  :stupid:

So, buy a GM car with final assembly at the Oshawa plant and tell your douche bag friend(s) your are driving Canadian (where's that Canadian flag icon when you need it?)

But hang onto the G6 if you like it!!! Hey, do you know how much CRAP I had to endure growing up in Southern California because I chose to drive a Cutlass Supreme?

Let's not go there! Hang in there!

I don't even think it's a patriotic thing either. I'll probably be laughed at even harder if I drive a Chinese-built car.

All they're trying to say is my car is crap and how imports are better. And is not like they will consider buying one to be concerned. I just don't get the part where me driving an American is labeled as wierd, and where did the "Chinese or Hong Kong people should not be driving domestic" thing came from.

It does seem like alot of Hong Kong people (especially wealthier immigrants) are a bit of a show-off, and think cars aren't cars if they aren't imports. I hate that friggin attitude. And I agree, this is slightly the fuel that burns my hate for imports.

Edited by ToniCipriani