Rendered: Two-Door Chevrolet Cruze Hatchback

Cory Wolfe

Rendered: Two-Door Chevrolet Cruze Hatchback

Cruze_3door_Side-thumb-717x477.jpg

By Ed Hellwig | September 21, 2010 | Photo Illustration: Theophilus Chin

Next week, the Chevrolet Cruze hatchback will make its world debut at the 2010 Paris Auto Show. It'll have four doors and likely use the same drivetrain lineup as the sedan version that's been on sale in Europe for some time now.

As usual, the announcement included a note about sales of the hatchback in the U.S. Specifically, it said that there wouldn't be any sales in the U.S., at least not yet. This comes as a bit of a blow to those who see the Cruze as GM's best shot yet at a true import fighter. Sure, sedans always sell better than hatchbacks here, but if GM expects the general public to start buying smaller vehicles, why not give them a broader selection of such vehicles?

And that brings us to the car you see here...

Since the four-door Cruze hatchback looks pretty good, we figured we would draw up a two-door hatch to see what it might look like. Not bad, eh? Compare this to the 2012 Civic Coupe we spotted recently and the Cruze certainly looks more muscular, if not taller and more conventional in its shape. With the right hardware, we don't see any reason it couldn't compete with the Civic Si and the Volkswagen GTI.

That's a big "if" though, given the drivetrains we're going to get in the standard Cruze sedan. The standard engine puts out 136 horsepower, while the turbo engine offered as an option only bumps the power to 138 horses along with a boost in torque to 143 pound-feet. Not bad for a 1.4-liter engine, but certainly not in the same league as the Honda or the Volkswagen. Then again, GM has built some pretty powerful 2.0-liter engines recently. The turbocharged and direct-injected four-banger in the Cobalt was a pretty healthy setup that produced 260 hp. Drop that into the Cruze hatchback and it would leave the Civic and GTI in its wake. Only the upcoming Focus ST would have a chance. Focus versus Cruze for the hatchback title? Sounds like a good matchup.

-------------------------------------------

I must say. If GM had the balls to actually make a GTI fighter and VW continues to cut off its balls and do to the GTI what it did to the Jetta... I might be compelled to buy one.

I like it. This is an area where I wonder if the "New GM" is the same as the old one in that they won't offer it because it might be considered to much of a "risk". I hope the new management realizes that a vehicle like this isn't made to be their bulk seller, but rather it should be done to attract attention to the product line so that enthusiast speak highly of them, which is what will ultimately help sell more product.

Should we put bets on the new GM taking chances on something like this or are we all thinking the same thing?

Horrible! It needs to look more like the cobalt coupe. This thing is a joke. No offense to the artist because the chop is top notch. This is more of a 3 door than a coupe and what we really need is a true coupe.

Reading > you

This was never called a coupe by the artist or anywhere in the article. It's called a two-door hatchback (it's a 3-door like the Astra).

As much as I hate to say it, this looks better than a Cobalt coupe. The trunk opening on the Cobalt is so small that it's hard to access the surprisingly huge trunk. It really should have been a hatchback anyway. The car in this chop simultaneously looks mature and sporty, and makes the sedan look terrible. It could stand some tweaking of the quarter window, but I'd gladly take it as is. All I need is some fishing line and some Goo Gone to remove the CRUZE badges from it. I still hate that name.

As muchas I hate to say it, this looks better than a Cobalt coupe. The trunk opening on the Cobalt is so small that it's hard to access the surprisingly huge trunk. It really should have been a hatchback anyway. The car in this chop simultaneously looks mature and sporty. I'd gladly take it as is.

I completely agree. Give me a nice metallic paint and that white trim interior on an LNF-powered 3-door hatchback SS (preferably with a 6-speed, but I could settle to row 5), and I would literally buy this without thinking twice or looking back.

I like it. GM is working on a two/three door Cruze currently. Look for it at the Detroit auto show in January. It will go on sale in about a year from now. If it looks like this car I might be tempted to buy one.

Got a source for that?

As far as the chop goes, nicely done. However, given the choice I would rather see the new Astra 3-door get sold here. Would be nice if we could get both. :)

Got a source for that?

As far as the chop goes, nicely done. However, given the choice I would rather see the new Astra 3-door get sold here. Would be nice if we could get both. :)

Seconded on the source part. If there is confirmation of GM doing what I said in my last post within the next year, I will buy an $800 beater until then to make due and wait it out until I can sign for this.