GM Wins Big as China Passenger-Vehicle Sales Jump

GM Wins Big as China Passenger-Vehicle Sales Jump 19 Percent in 2005

Date posted: 03-16-2006

SOUTHFIELD, Mich. — General Motors is the top manufacturer in China and the Hyundai Elantra is the top 2005 model, according to a new report by the statistical research firm R.L. Polk.

Polk, which measures new-vehicle registrations, found that passenger-vehicle sales in China reached almost 3.8 million vehicles last year, up 19 percent from 2004. General Motors leads the automakers with a 14.2-percent share of the Chinese auto market, followed by Volkswagen at 13.3 percent. Polk said Nissan's passenger cars grew a whopping 58 percent to move into 8th place in the China market with a 4.1-percent market share.

Hatchbacks accounted for the strongest growth of all segments in the Chinese market, increasing by 36 percent in 2005, with segment leader Chery QQ accounting for 84,700 new vehicle registrations, an increase of 110 percent from 2004.

What this means to you: Widely respected Polk is providing some of the more accurate stats on the China market — more trustworthy than the typical ones generated by the Chinese government.

Link: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=109651

What this means to you: Widely respected Polk is providing some of the more accurate stats on the China market — more trustworthy than the typical ones generated by the Chinese government.

Yeah... let's highlight and emphasize the reporter instead of what was reported... sheesh. :rolleyes:

This would have been a nice opportunity to give GM a prop or two. <_<

Interesting to see GM making strong progess around the world while toyota is struggling with the same.  One wonders how 10 years of this might change the automotive landscape.

We can only hope that the buying public hears about this and starts dumping their non GM junk. This is a sign of things to come boys, I can feel it. There will be no competition in China in 5 years if this keeps up. Bankruptcy is going to plague the rest of the industry when they realize they can't keep up with GM innovation and leadership. They might as well hand over their plants and opertaors now (Just dump the cheapo trash cars in the recycler, don't need that junk).

And as far as buyers, all these blind foolish morons who buy non GM vehicles are going to have to step up and support or get the hell out of the country. They don't belong here. :angry:

We can only hope that the buying public hears about this and starts dumping their non GM junk. This is a sign of things to come boys, I can feel it. There will be no competition in China in 5 years if this keeps up. Bankruptcy is going to plague the rest of the industry when they realize they can't keep up with GM innovation and leadership. They might as well hand over their plants and opertaors now (Just dump the cheapo trash cars in the recycler, don't need that junk).

And as far as buyers, all these blind foolish morons who buy non GM vehicles are going to have to step up and support or get the hell out of the country. They don't belong here.  :angry:

Hi Rick. I didn't know the CEO of GM was posting here on Cheers and Gears. :lol:

And as far as buyers, all these blind foolish morons who buy non GM vehicles are going to have to step up and support or get the hell out of the country. They don't belong here.  :angry:

The average margin on Chinese Auto purchases has gone from up to $5,000 to approximately $150, according to a reecent article I read...

...I don't know if GM should be hanging their hat on that.

I'm assuming you're just an irrational GM fan, rather than a total space case, but the reality is that noone knows what's going to go on in China.

It's much more likely that your fellow Americans in the UAW will be unemployed and Chinese labor will be producing many more GM products for US consumption in 5 years rather than GM dominating the Chinese market.

As consumers become increasingly car savvy and product choices increase, GM's achievements in China are still up in the air. They can't rely on selling last-generation Centurys and Buick-badged Daewoos forever.

The Daewoos are very size-approriate for that country and they never sold redone Centuries. They had Regals and make all the jokes you want, they are meaningfully different even in this country and especially the Chinese Regal.

The Daewoos are very size-approriate for that country and they never sold redone Centuries. They had Regals and make all the jokes you want, they are meaningfully different even in this country and especially the Chinese Regal.

I thought the Regal was a redone Century?

And, true, many other manufacturers sell equally bad stuff there, like this elegant Mark II Jetta. Ohh-yess... :yes:

Posted Image

I thought the Regal was a redone Century?

Our Regal/Century was co-developed as 1997.5s. I'm assuming, but with good reason, that the Chinese Regal is an offshoot of the American Regal due to its bucket seating arrangement like our Regal had along with the tighter Gran Touring-style suspension and lowered ride height.

And, although the Sail and those Buiwoos aren't that appealing, I think China is ready for anything after homemade cans like the Geely Charming Auspicious Lion Cub Duet or whatever and license-built 1980s VWs. There are probably more Santanas in China than in a record store. *ba-dum-cha!*