3M Headlight Restoration

Myself and a friend put a 3M headlight restoration kit I got when I bought my brakes to work today. I'll let the photos speak for themselves.

Before:

U1167777.jpg

After:

U1167793.jpg

Before:

U1167776.jpg

After:

U1167791.jpg

Before:

U1167778.jpg

After:

U1167794.jpg

U1167779.jpg

U1167781.jpg

U1167782.jpg

U1167787.jpg

U1167789.jpg

U1167796.jpg

Short of buying a brand new headlight these things are as could as you could possibly hope for. The 3M works amazingly. I went a step further and put 3M ScotchGuard on the lens. This will protect it keep it from yellowing again. The driver's side already had it applied a couple years ago and still looks new.

3M rocks!

Be sure to check back in after 6mo-a year & let us know it held up. :) I went a different route with restoring my headlights, which were downright nasty. Sanded the UV protection layer off, smoothed to 1000 grit, cleaned, and added a few layers of high temp clearcoat. Looks great over a year later.

The 3M kit is fairly similar, as 3 of the four steps involve using sanding discs.

I thought about adding clear coat to it, but opted instead for the Scotchguard...which is a UV protectant that also protects the surfaces from scratches and chips.

If It does haze up at all I will redo it and then add clear coat, followed by Scotchguard. :)

Thanks! For whoever does this or any sort of headlight restoration: make sure you put something back on the lens to protect it. You've taken off the UV protective coating and now you need to put something back on so it doesn't yellow quickly. I went with 3 M Scotchguard. High-temp clear coat is another idea.

• 10 months later...

While buying some items as a congrats gift for my step-son's '98 Regal LS purchase, we picked up this kit for the headlights:

meguiars-heavy-duty-headlight-restoration-kit.jpg

Product Description: Meguiars Heavy Duty Two Step Headlight Restoration Kit

THE headlight solution for severely degraded headlights.

Meguiars Heavy Duty Two Step Headlight Restoration Kit proves that a strong solution can be easy to use. This plastic headlight kit includes everything you need to sand and buff plastic headlight lens covers back to their original clarity. Use Meguiars Heavy Duty Two Step Headlight Restoration Kit on headlights, taillights, and other hard plastics.

Meguiars Heavy Duty Two Step Headlight Restoration Kit is designed to eliminate the worst cases of headlight degradation, yellowing, oxidation, and scratches. In addition to the products included with Meguiars Headlight & Clear Plastic Restoration Kit, this heavy duty kit also includes Unigrit sanding discs to clear up the cloudiest lenses.

Meguiars Unigrit Sanding Discs are included in 1000 and 3000 grits. Dampen the 1000 grit sandpaper and use it on the most severe oxidation. Then follow up with the 3000 grit sandpaper, also dampened, to refine the headlight surface. The included Unigrit Hand Pad makes it easy to hold onto the sanding papers.

Next use Meguiars PlastX, a proven clear plastic cleaner and polish. PlastX safely removes fine scratches, cloudiness, oxidaton, and yellowing from uncoated plastic surfaces. (Any protective film applied by the factory to your headlights is likely gone if they have oxidized. Therefore, you can safely use Meguiars Headlight & Clear Plastic Restoration Kit.)

Meguiars PlastX Clear Plastic Polish contains fine diminishing abrasives that break down as you polish. These abrasives safely smooth away surface scratches and oxidation to improve the clarity of clear plastics.

Apply Meguiars PlastX with the included Meguiars buffing pad. This soft textured pad polishes clear, hard plastics without scratching. The backing plate and bit are built onto the pad. Simply tighten your drill’s chuck around the bit securely.

After polishing, use the included Supreme Shine Microfiber Towel to wipe off the headlights. Next apply Meguiars Headlight Protectant to each headlight to block out UV rays and keep restored headlights looking like new.

Meguiars Heavy Duty Two Step Headlight Restoration Kit works on even the most degraded headlights. This proven system is easy to use and restores the appearance and proper function of headlights. Your safety and your vehicle's resale value depend on it!

Kit Contents:

1000 Unigrit sanding disc

3000 Unigrit sanding disc

Unigrit hand pad Drill-operated Easy-buff pad

4 oz. PlastX

4 oz. Headlight Protectant

Supreme Shine Microfiber Towel

Do you think this is just as good as the 3M kit?

While buying some items as a congrats gift for my step-son's '98 Regal LS purchase, we picked up this kit for the headlights:

meguiars-heavy-duty-headlight-restoration-kit.jpg

Do you think this is just as good as the 3M kit?

I would imagine it is. Meguiar's usually makes good stuff. I have a non-Heavy Duty Meguiars kit in the garage, but in the end, I simply put new headlights in. It seems like the Pontiac headlights get checks in the plastic, rather than actually getting cloudy, at least on B-villes and GPs.

Yeah, the Buick is definitely cloudy. I read the owners manual last night and see that the headlights are held in by two clips and the cable for the headlight power. It should be easy for me to do this then since I can take them out of the car completely and not have to tape up the hood/fenders. I like Meguire's products and feel this should have as good of a result as Dodgefan's 3M kit gave him.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a follow-up...

Took advantage of a lazy Labor Day off and among other little around the house projects, I used the Meguiar's HD Headlight Restoration Kit on my step-son's '98 Regal LS. After removing the headlights out of the car and replacing the two DRL/turn signal bulbs (one was dim compared to the other, replaced both since the package came with two), I restored the headlights. Here are some pictures, for your enjoyment:

PASSENGER - BEFORE:

IMG_20110905_161901.jpg

PASSENGER - AFTER:

IMG_20110905_192325.jpg

COMPARISON - PASSENGER HEADLIGHT 'RESTORED', DRIVER HEADLIGHT NOT:

IMG_20110905_192318.jpg

IMG_20110905_192331.jpg

IMG_20110905_192325.jpg

Very satisfied with the kit, easy to use and the results are much better than I expected. Did notice as I removed the headlight units that the rubber gasket sealing the lights is dry-rotted and as such there is some interior damage (cloudiness) that can't be repaired. As I plan to hit some junkyards in the fall, I'll keep an eye out for Centurys and Regals and look for better condition lights to buy & swap out.

Edited by GMTruckGuy74