2010 Mazda6

Picked up a white Mazda6 at Port of Columbus Airport in Columbus, Ohio Thursday afternoon, dropped it off this afternoon. White w/ charcoal cloth interior. Put about 250 miles on it driving from Columbus to Cleveland (went to the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame and Museum) then down to the family farm in Tuscarawas County and back to Columbus..

Nothing really to complain about...plenty of power for a 4cyl, quiet, smooth. Comfortable, good outward visibility. Reasonable controls. No steering wheel adjustment, though I was able to adjust the seat to my liking. No MP3 jack that I could find. Didn't like the red lit gauges at night. Turn signal control was counter-intuitive. Was getting great gas mileage, I think.

Good steering feel, didn't feel too nose heavy..drove it on some windy backroads in Stark and Tuscarawas counties..

Felt solid, bigger than I thought it would be.

This is the 4th midsizer I've driven this year (2 Fusions and a Malibu previously), and it seemed comparable to the others I've driven.

As an aside, I met C&G's own 66Stang for some good Thai and good conversation in Columbus.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

The steering wheel tilts & telescopes in the new 6, many people just have trouble finding the lever underneath.

As for the MP3/Aux jack, Mazda puts a 3.5mm headphone plug under the center console lid with a power port, then a 2nd power port at the base of the center stack.

Great car, I've sold several & never had anyone less than impressed after a drive. Had a younger couple on Saturday browsing 3's, then wanted to try to the Altima. Asked if they had ever looked at the new 6 yet. "Walked past them, I think." Drove a new 6 i Touring Plus, then drove a new Altima 2.5S, identical colors, similar equipment. The 6 was $2k less. Afterwards the 6 was the winner again, both for looks, the interior details, how it was quieter with a lot less engine noise, and "not as...adult...fresher...".

Nice car. They feel softer & quieter at first than most expect from a Mazda, but the "zoom" comes out if you push it. My only complaint remains they need to update the electronics, with things like a USB port standard & a less clunky Nav on top end models so equipped.

One car the styling kind of reminded me of, at least the greenhouse and rear quarters is the current Ford Mondeo. Though I've only seen the current gen Mondeo in photos and not in person. I like the front fenders, and the curve around the hood down below the grille...nice that it doesn't have the current smiley Mazda face.

It does have one of the notorious black C-pillar triangles, but it's well executed..they should have put a tiny window there, IMHO.

It's a car that seems very competent but didn't leave a big impression on me other than that it was very competent, polished and quiet.

Didn't have the factory nav, but did have the Hertz Neverlost Navteq external unit..worked really well, showing little obscure township roads out in the E. Ohio hinterlands...

i test drove a 6 a few months ago and I felt that its probably the most balanced midsizer / fewest flaws of the whole pack right now.

that is because each entry in the midsize class has one or two or three things that really keep it from being a default sort of choice.

the mazda is not overwhelmingly good in any one area, yet it does not seem deficient really in any areas.

I don't much care for the interior, especially in black, its fairly morose in that color. The design of it is just offputting....however not so much as to be a deal breaker to me.

Some folks do not like the exterior. I like it a lot in some colors, and in others I don't like it. It looks nice enough so that the styling is not an issue for me.

Dynamically it just seemed like its the midsizer that has the most issues sorted out. It's quiet, ride and handling are a nice balance. The car is spacious and the powertrain is not behind the curve too much. It has the NVH edge and polish to it that is keeping the Sonata from being an A grade car right now.

The only midsizer that immediately struck me as more engaging and a better drive was the Passat. The Passat is probably the most sorted out midsizer, but there's the rub. The Passat is tighter inside, and its interior is not really super duper for this class either IMO. And of course the Passat cannot be had near as cheap as a 6.

I saw plenty of new 6's in the 17,2, 18,3 20k price range on lots recently. And i ask WHY DO PEOPLE BUY ACCORDS AND CAMRY'S? I even liked my 900 mile Altima some that i rented back in Jan. and still I think the Mazda6 is a better car after just a test drive.

THe first four cars I would shop to buy in this segment right now are the 6, Malibu (GM fan and I like the styling even thought the inside has some cheap and the powertrain could use some extra oomph and refinement), Sonata (and prob Optima) and lastly the Legacy. The Legacy and 6 are a draw for me mostly but the Legacy has a couple of intangibles (CVT, AWD) that would sway me, price independent. The great deals on the 6 right now though, you'd think it would be a no brainer for most folks just commodity car shopping.

Mazda must have a $h!ty marketing department because its a car that should be selling A LOT better than it is.

PM called it the best midsizer in a comparo test it did awhile back.

Edited by regfootball

Picked up a white Mazda6 at Port of Columbus Airport in Columbus, Ohio Thursday afternoon, dropped it off this afternoon. White w/ charcoal cloth interior. Put about 250 miles on it driving from Columbus to Cleveland (went to the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame and Museum) then down to the family farm in Tuscarawas County and back to Columbus..

Nothing really to complain about...plenty of power for a 4cyl, quiet, smooth. Comfortable, good outward visibility. Reasonable controls. No steering wheel adjustment, though I was able to adjust the seat to my liking. No MP3 jack that I could find. Didn't like the red lit gauges at night. Turn signal control was counter-intuitive. Was getting great gas mileage, I think.

Good steering feel, didn't feel too nose heavy..drove it on some windy backroads in Stark and Tuscarawas counties..

Felt solid, bigger than I thought it would be.

This is the 4th midsizer I've driven this year (2 Fusions and a Malibu previously), and it seemed comparable to the others I've driven.

As an aside, I met C&G's own 66Stang for some good Thai and good conversation in Columbus.

did Stang hurl when he saw your Mazda with the smiley front?

did Stang hurl when he saw your Mazda with the smiley front?

The way it was parked you couldn't see the front end. :)

It's not as bad up front as other Mazdas, doesn't have the happy fish look of the 2 or 3... that reminds me..I saw a green 2 in Ohio.

Off topic.... I was over in Ohio around the same time, Thursday to Saturday, just southeast of Columbus. Chris and I were exploring Hocking Hills and were through various towns including Lancaster, Circleville, Athens, etc.

Fun...I haven't been down in that part of Ohio in 15 years or more..I'm most familiar w/ the state routes and backroads north of I-70, east of I-77, and southeast of the Canton/Akron area east to the Ohio River..

Friday I drove I-71 up to Cleveland to the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame (the day started out rainy in Columbus, but was sunny, windy and cool on Lake Erie), then went down to Kent and then on to the family farm outside New Philadelphia for a couple days...got my '87 Mustang GT out (my brother had his '82 GT out) Saturday for some driving around the New Philadelphia and Sugar Creek (Amish country) area..beautiful fall weather. I'd like to have had the whole week to play.

Fall is a great time for backroad tours in Ohio, IMO.

Mazda must have a $h!ty marketing department because its a car that should be selling A LOT better than it is.

PM called it the best midsizer in a comparo test it did awhile back.

People just don't know about it. Now that I've been selling Mazda's for a while, other than the CX-7, 3 and even the Tribute, people aren't really clued in to the Mazda line until we show them.

This is especially true of the 6. Look at the Altima and others, then see and drive a 6. It's hard to pass up. Sold one to a best friend who had only had Honda's before, sold them to ex Altima customers, and so on. It isn't marketed, but the quality/finish/style/features & performance sell it right away. The looks especially do, as does the SPACE inside and in the trunk, in the latest ones.

Add in the fact you can get a new i Sport model in the $17-18k range, i Touring with dressy features for $20k or under and Mazda still has 0% for 60 months, they're an instantaneous easy sell.

Not perfect, as I wish the electronics were a little more up to date and the front seats a little better shaped, but the 6 just isn't lacking in ways almost every other car in the class is. You need to look at and drive one, if you haven't.

the 2 has been getting good reviews. its way lighter than the fiesta so it has more zing to it....even with a '4 speed'

Fun little car, for sure. Our main issue is that, for the discounts and such available on the 3, you can get a slightly bigger and more impressive package overall for almost the same dough--well, with a lot more space. People like the look & tiny size, but naturally still gravitate to the 3 unless they really want that smaller package & aren't incentive hungry.

Edited by caddycruiser

I've mentioned before, I have driven the 6 and think its the most 'balanced' of the midsizers.

but Mazda has screwed the pooch on in cabin tech. they don't apply bluetooth liberally and I am not certain if they have USB and how sophisticated their NAV is on the 6. they lack telematics too.

Major 'yes' though on the 6 being superior to the Accord. The 6 is what the Accord wanted to be. If you are a previous Accord fan, I would say the 6 would feel right to you. I had an Altima for a 1000 mile rental this past January and while it was an ok car, i could tell from a short test that the Mazda had its act together more.

Mazda really has a problem with the styling. Its not 'bad' but its kind of on a styling ship that has already sailed. The Altima had its own unique style identity that still is popular even if its dated. The 6 is is mish mash of rice and aero and roundness that either gets lost or doesn't connect with a lot of people. And then the interior is just offbeat and slightly creepy.

FOr me, the 6's biggest dynamic problem was that the rpm was just too damn high on the four cylinder at cruising speeds (manual trans).

If MAzda came out with a new powertrain like a 200hp 6 speed auto that delivered Sonata mpg, and behaved well, AND had a thoroughly redesigned interior it would be criminal to not see it sell more.

The Passat is the only 'midsizer' i can think of that is sorted out more on the cheap versions, but it lacks room and costs more. I liked the Altima but would not buy one as a first choice. I like the Malibu but it had a couple flaws. The Fusion is tight now but is boring to me. I could justify buying a 6 because what you get for what you pay is amazing right now. The Subaru Legacy is the car I would take over the 6 because of the good CVT, better mileage, better styling, nicer interior, and AWD.

People just don't know about it. Now that I've been selling Mazda's for a while, other than the CX-7, 3 and even the Tribute, people aren't really clued in to the Mazda line until we show them.

This is especially true of the 6. Look at the Altima and others, then see and drive a 6. It's hard to pass up. Sold one to a best friend who had only had Honda's before, sold them to ex Altima customers, and so on. It isn't marketed, but the quality/finish/style/features & performance sell it right away. The looks especially do, as does the SPACE inside and in the trunk, in the latest ones.

Add in the fact you can get a new i Sport model in the $17-18k range, i Touring with dressy features for $20k or under and Mazda still has 0% for 60 months, they're an instantaneous easy sell.

Not perfect, as I wish the electronics were a little more up to date and the front seats a little better shaped, but the 6 just isn't lacking in ways almost every other car in the class is. You need to look at and drive one, if you haven't.

Fun little car, for sure. Our main issue is that, for the discounts and such available on the 3, you can get a slightly bigger and more impressive package overall for almost the same dough--well, with a lot more space. People like the look & tiny size, but naturally still gravitate to the 3 unless they really want that smaller package & aren't incentive hungry.