Can't wait to see Josh's take on this :rolleyes:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was going to type that I won't even acknowledge your smart ass remark.

Then I realized it would mean I actually acknowledged it.

So, here is my acknowledgement to your smart ass remark.

As my good friend JoCaine says in his latest tune "Simple Man" which you can check out on his MySpace page: "Money don't make the man, the man makes the money."

Captain Rick has hardly made a cent.

Guest buickman

The Call Was Made:

Leadership Structure

Jim Dollinger

Sunday, February 12, 2006

Waterfalls begin as raindrops

Avalanches begin as snowflakes

Bankruptcies begin with poor decisions

General Motors' current difficulties are the direct result of decades of poor decision making. Many blame Roger Smith for today's troubles. Certainly Mr. Smith made very costly mistakes. He invested roughly $40 Billion on technology such as robotics. F. Alan Smith (no relation), who was chief financial officer, claimed that for the same amount we could have bought Toyota and Honda. Now the reverse is true, they can buy us! Yes, Roger Smith had failings, he attempted to replace human relations with automation, and in hindsight that was foolish.

These days, poor decision making continues. Spinning off GMAC, cutting wages and benefits, alienating dealers, and disastrous marketing can all be squarely blamed on a lack of leadership at the top. In order to reverse course, the shareholders and Board of Directors must focus on the Corporation's leadership structure. GM is far too large for any one person to occupy multiple positions of responsibility. The Chairman should be a financial expert who creates the long term vision and direction for the company. This individual needs to be separate from the President who is in charge of world wide operations. Under said President should be an executive with primary responsibility for North America, and this individual needs to be a "car guy". Currently General Motors has one man, Mr Wagoner, who is attempting to carry out all three of these tasks. It is easy to see why he is doing a lousy job at each of them. GM does need to restructure, but at the very top where it matters most. It is impossible for one person to function effectively as Chairman, President, and Chief Operating Officer.

Once a realignment of leadership occurs, GM has a chance to rebound in the marketplace. That resurgence will begin through implementing better decisions. We must go back to the basics of selling cars and the best way to accomplish positive results is to place one person firmly in charge of just North America and hold that person accountable. The future viability of GM and the good of our country hangs in the balance.

Of course this is the board that has perpetually allowed things to spiral to point where the company needs to sell it crown jewels. What do we really expect? I'd be curious to learn how much GM stock the board owns.

One thing I *will* say about the Detroit News that makes them classier than most newspapers I see today, they actually identify the author and provide contact information for him/her at the end of the article. Contrast this with most who have not balls and identify the author as "Staff" or no identification at all. The Detroit News will get my vote everytime.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article...NEWS11/60404007

Sounds like this pretty much erases any chance of him resigning in the near future. The board supports him.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic...UTO01/604040392

Of course this is the board that has perpetually allowed things to spiral to point where the company needs to sell it crown jewels. What do we really expect? I'd be curious to learn how much GM stock the board owns.

One thing I *will* say about the Detroit News that makes them classier than most newspapers I see today, they actually identify the author and provide contact information for him/her at the end of the article. Contrast this with most who have not balls and identify the author as "Staff" or no identification at all. The Detroit News will get my vote everytime.

"Staff" usually means the original article has been reworked to some extent by one or more people without consulting the original author, but not enough for the last writer(s to take credit for the whole thing. It's not a matter of avoiding identification, but more about not taking credit for work you didn't do.

The Call Was Made:

Leadership Structure

Jim Dollinger

General Motors' current difficulties are the direct result of decades of poor decision making. Many blame Roger Smith for today's troubles. Certainly Mr. Smith made very costly mistakes. He invested roughly $40 Billion on technology such as robotics. F. Alan Smith (no relation), who was chief financial officer, claimed that for the same amount we could have bought Toyota and Honda. Now the reverse is true, they can buy us! Yes, Roger Smith had failings, he attempted to replace human relations with automation, and in hindsight that was foolish.

These days, poor decision making continues. Spinning off GMAC, cutting wages and benefits, alienating dealers, and disastrous marketing can all be squarely blamed on a lack of leadership at the top. In order to reverse course, the shareholders and Board of Directors must focus on the Corporation's leadership structure. GM is far too large for any one person to occupy multiple positions of responsibility. The Chairman should be a financial expert who creates the long term vision and direction for the company. This individual needs to be separate from the President who is in charge of world wide operations. Under said President should be an executive with primary responsibility for North America, and this individual needs to be a "car guy". Currently General Motors has one man, Mr Wagoner, who is attempting to carry out all three of these tasks. It is easy to see why he is doing a lousy job at each of them. GM does need to restructure, but at the very top where it matters most. It is impossible for one person to function effectively as Chairman, President, and Chief Operating Officer.

Once a realignment of leadership occurs, GM has a chance to rebound in the marketplace. That resurgence will begin through implementing better decisions. We must go back to the basics of selling cars and the best way to accomplish positive results is to place one person firmly in charge of just North America and hold that person accountable. The future viability of GM and the good of our country hangs in the balance.

BM - You are an idiot.

Good bye.

Damn, I think that's the first time I've heard anyone say GM needs more people in management.

Like I said before: To all the Wagoner bashers, when the Camaro lights the world on fire, and the Enclave, next CTS, new Saturns, and just about everything else that comes out from 2007-2010 help to restore GMs image and perhaps return it to profitability, I just hope you give credit where credit is due.

Damn, I think that's the first time I've heard anyone say GM needs more people in management.

Like I said before: To all the Wagoner bashers, when the Camaro lights the world on fire, and the Enclave, next CTS, new Saturns, and just about everything else that comes out from 2007-2010 help to restore GMs image and perhaps return it to profitability, I just hope you give credit where credit is due.

Oh, I will. And if those products do not, I'll laugh.

What about the malibu, impala, G6, Lacrosse, or any mainstream cars that were supposed to help GM?

The Call Was Made:

Leadership Structure

Jim Dollinger

the spin doctor is out for the prowl. your writing has all the depth of a teenager, not surprising since your content/research is like blowing smoke at me.

What about the malibu, impala, G6, Lacrosse, or any mainstream cars that were supposed to help GM?

they came before a design and product revolution overcame the halls of GM through the help of Lutz. When you first see sketches or prototypes of the next Impala you will beleive.

Guest YellowJacket894

The Call Was Made:

Leadership Structure

Jim Dollinger

General Motors' current difficulties are the direct result of decades of poor decision making. Many blame Roger Smith for today's troubles. Certainly Mr. Smith made very costly mistakes. He invested roughly $40 Billion on technology such as robotics. F. Alan Smith (no relation), who was chief financial officer, claimed that for the same amount we could have bought Toyota and Honda. Now the reverse is true, they can buy us! Yes, Roger Smith had failings, he attempted to replace human relations with automation, and in hindsight that was foolish...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If this is journalism, then LSD must cure cancer and tumors.

Exactly, turbo. I specifically mentioned MY2007 because it represents the first fruits of the Wagoner/Lutz combination.