Porsche 911 Caught!

NOS2006

Today on my way home from work, I saw two Porsche 911s testing out in the wild. Both vehicles were completely camo'd, but I was only able to get two shots. Once the cars saw me trying to snag a picture in rush-hour traffic, they kept their distance and got over as soon as they could to turn off.

From what I could tell, it looked like there was some LED work done to the front fascia. There were bright white LED running lights somewhere around the split at the top of the front bumper, under the headlights, and the turn signals were also LEDs. In addition, the side air inlet on the cars were either a silver or brushed aluminum color, but it was hard to tell the exact color since there was some sort of net covering them.

As you can see in the pictures, the trunks/spoilers had pretty bulky covers on them, so it's hard to say whether or not the stereotypical Porsche wing was the same design as normal.

In addition, the headlights had some sort of cobweb looking cover on them, so my guess is that the headlights are somewhat modified as well. And the exhaust pipes seemed rather small, so I'm not sure if these mules were running one of the four cylinder engines that Porsche has confirmed to be working on.

post-177-0-69938300-1296258550.jpg

post-177-0-02106400-1296258558.jpg

The side inlets are actually photo-realistic stickers they put on the sheet metal. All the 911 prototypes have them.

OEMs have started doing more and more of that sort of camouflage lately.

They also put semi-transparent stickers over the headlights and tailights to cover the real design. They will go as far as printing out an old headlight design to stick over the new one.

I got the new issue of Road & Track in the mail Friday..has illustrations of the new 911 that are supposed to be fairly accurate. Looks good, clearly an evolutionary design. I believe it's not an update of the 997 (which was an update of the 996) but a new platform, etc. I like the evolutionary approach Porsche takes..the 911 always looks like a 911, regardless of the generation.

A 4cyl version would be interesting, and not unprecedented--the 912 had a couple runs in the past..

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar