GM Lordstown lossing a shift

Guest buickman

WAKE UP AMERICA!

"RED INK RICK" MUST GO!

HOW MUCH LONGER WILL WAGONER BE ALLOWED TO RUN RAMPANT?

Once again I warn that unless GM drastically changes their marketing, this company is headed for a certain appearance in bankruptcy court.

Steve Harris, newly hired back to run GM's PR department, has had Wagoner in every possible medium promoting his capabilities. The Board of Bystanders issued a statement of support. Even Jack Smith was quoted as remaining confident in Wagoner. In spite of their spin, the decline will continue until it's too late for pensions, health care and the dealer distribution system.

Buickman

WAKE UP AMERICA!

"RED INK RICK" MUST GO!

HOW MUCH LONGER WILL WAGONER BE ALLOWED TO RUN RAMPANT?

Once again I warn that unless GM drastically changes their marketing, this company is headed for a certain appearance in bankruptcy court.

Steve Harris, newly hired back to run GM's PR department, has had Wagoner in every possible medium promoting his capabilities. The Board of Bystanders issued a statement of support. Even Jack Smith was quoted as remaining confident in Wagoner. In spite of their spin, the decline will continue until it's too late for pensions, health care and the dealer distribution system.

Buickman

:unsure:

???

Guest buickman

What they're doing now works?

Ads should detail features, benefits, and lifestyle. There are campaigns and programs significantly less expensive and far more effective which would bring increased sales, lowered expneses, and greater profits. It's really that simple. The only obstacle is one corrupt executive with a 39th floor office.

Buickman

I had a somewhat-disappointing experience with a Cobalt LT Coupe rental car recently in Nashville......could this be indicative of what consumers are seeing out there...?

It had 18K miles on it. The good points? The 2.2L Ecotec is powerful and very smooth. This two door, even in yellow, was VERY attractive and eye-appealing.

The negatives? Well, I've already carped on the cheap interior trim and cheesy center-stack controls.....but there were NUMEROUS fit-and-finish gaffews such as the passenger-side inside (chrome) door handle that was stuck in the "open" position. The DOOR wasn't open...just the handle was cockeyed....also, the action of the driver's side door handle was chintzy, cheesy, and felt like it would fall off when you used it to open the door.

Also, the silver trim around BOTH doors' power window switches was already worn off in many places (after just 18K miles.)

This Cobalt had a sunroof that, even closed, creaked and groaned anytime you traversed bumps.

There was a constant "rasp" from the exhaust even at mild throttle openings that became very annoying quickly....(is this Chevy trying to instill a "sporty 4cyl exhaust note?")

The 4-speed auto dropped the powerful Ecotec into a chasm from 1st to 2nd....resulting in a sluggish feeling running through the gears....when actually this is quite a powerful little engine with a strong first-gear launch and decent top-gear highway performance.

The worst? The suspension was downright clunky and unrefined over any bump larger than a "botts dot." When driving over freeway expansion joints, the structure clunked and jiggled sending rattles and jolts through the steering column and seat. This really did not bode well for what was supposed to be a quite-stout structure.

I wouldn't have been AS critical of the Cobalt if not for the Focus rental I had the previous week in Atlanta. The Ford's 2.0L Duratec L4 was in no way comparable to the excellent Ecotec and was a sluggish drone in comparison.

In every other way, however, this "older" Focus totally outshone the Cobalt with a much tigher-feeling structure and suspension, a slop-free (and electric-free) steering rack, and an interior that while built with materials NO better than the Chevy's, exhibited fit-and-finish that was far superior to Cobalt's.

I had a somewhat-disappointing experience with a Cobalt LT Coupe rental car recently in Nashville......could this be indicative of what consumers are seeing out there...?

It had 18K miles on it.  The good points?  The 2.2L Ecotec is powerful and very smooth.  This two door, even in yellow, was VERY attractive and eye-appealing.

The negatives?  Well, I've already carped on the cheap interior trim and cheesy center-stack controls.....but there were NUMEROUS fit-and-finish gaffews such as the passenger-side inside (chrome) door handle that was stuck in the "open" position.  The DOOR wasn't open...just the handle was cockeyed....also, the action of the driver's side door handle was chintzy, cheesy, and felt like it would fall off when you used it to open the door.

Also, the silver trim around BOTH doors' power window switches was already worn off in many places (after just 18K miles.)

This Cobalt had a sunroof that, even closed, creaked and groaned anytime you traversed bumps.

There was a constant "rasp" from the exhaust even at mild throttle openings that became very annoying quickly....(is this Chevy trying to instill a "sporty 4cyl exhaust note?")

The 4-speed auto dropped the powerful Ecotec into a chasm from 1st to 2nd....resulting in a sluggish feeling running through the gears....when actually this is quite a powerful little engine with a strong first-gear launch and decent top-gear highway performance.

The worst?  The suspension was downright clunky and unrefined over any bump larger than a "botts dot."  When driving over freeway expansion joints, the structure clunked and jiggled sending rattles and jolts through the steering column and seat.  This really did not bode well for what was supposed to be a quite-stout structure.

I wouldn't have been AS critical of the Cobalt if not for the Focus rental I had the previous week in Atlanta.  The Ford's 2.0L Duratec L4 was in no way comparable to the excellent Ecotec and was a sluggish drone in comparison.

In every other way, however, this "older" Focus totally outshone the Cobalt with a much tigher-feeling structure and suspension, a slop-free (and electric-free) steering rack, and an interior that while built with materials NO better than the Chevy's, exhibited fit-and-finish that was far superior to Cobalt's.

It appears that all your experiences are with rental cars. In case you haven't noticed people do crazy stuff with the cars and rental companies don't really care about them. Last time my friends got a rental Cobalt, Accent and Corolla, they were drifting and burning them out in parking lots.

So seriously, I doubt any rental car is really a benchmark of the true colors of the cars.

How about go to a dealer and take one for a test drive instead of basing all your opinions on RENTALS?

It had 18K miles on it.  The good points?  The 2.2L Ecotec is powerful and very smooth.  This two door, even in yellow, was VERY attractive and eye-appealing.

The negatives?  Well, I've already carped on the cheap interior trim and cheesy center-stack controls.....but there were NUMEROUS fit-and-finish gaffews such as the passenger-side inside (chrome) door handle that was stuck in the "open" position.  The DOOR wasn't open...just the handle was cockeyed....also, the action of the driver's side door handle was chintzy, cheesy, and felt like it would fall off when you used it to open the door.

The worst?  The suspension was downright clunky and unrefined over any bump larger than a "botts dot."  When driving over freeway expansion joints, the structure clunked and jiggled sending rattles and jolts through the steering column and seat.  This really did not bode well for what was supposed to be a quite-stout structure.

I wouldn't have been AS critical of the Cobalt if not for the Focus rental I had the previous week in Atlanta.  The Ford's 2.0L Duratec L4 was in no way comparable to the excellent Ecotec and was a sluggish drone in comparison.

Strange-I drove an LT sedan w/ 24k on it, and it drove quite nicely. The only issue I had with it was that the rear pass. window got stuck on the way back up. Fit and finish was pretty good too.....

I do have to agree with Toni on one thing-I think that car was quite abused...

The trouble is getting passed people's prejudices and the media's biases. If a person actually drove a Cobalt and a Corolla back to back, the Cobalt wins on nearly all counts - especially in the power, ride and quiet department. The Civic, it could be argued, does have a few points over the Cobalt, but they are leasing for $50 a month MORE than the Cobalt in this market! The Civic doesn't even have a split folding rear seat until you go to the top of the line! How about a power trunk release on either of them? automatic headlights? How about the best sound system in the small car market (the Pioneer sub is amazing!)

Anyway, I think the Cobalt will hold up well in the market. The 2.2 is one of the best engines GM has ever built and I believe resale will improve on them, too.

theyve sold more than 52,000 cobalts this year, so far.  it doesnt seem to shabby to me,  does make we wonder how many they are making though.

and yeah, i dont think a rental car is a good way to gauge a cars integrity.

only 18,000 miles, but in how much time and by whom?  ahh who knows.

after some more tweaking that 3rd shift will be back.

I while back my friend and I went to Marsh Creek out here in the East Bay to the weekend drags. Everyone was laughing because someone had rented a Neon and was just trashing it. Buying from a rental place is also the last thing I would do. It was great fun watching the antic of the Neon until the cops broke it up.

THis sounds more like an efficiency thing to me...

The article clearly states that they will speed up production on the two remaining shifts and actually UP production from 433 cars per shift to 500 per shift. This is a good move IMO as long as quality isn't sacrificed. LESS workers/MORE production... WHo can argue with that?!?!?!

No, wait... Doesn't that mean we're losing 433 cars on the third shift??? Yeah, I guess so.... I dunno, the article has me a little confused because the GM rep kinda talks like demand is outpacing supply. But either way, the extra 299 a day could be FLEET capacity for all we know, if indeed we are losing production (Which upon a second glance I think is the case).

And what about the G5??? Will it not require a few of these people to be re-hired?

Cobalt was up HUGE last month though....

****On a related note: WHY IS GM NOT MAKING MORE OF AND PUSHING/MARKETING MORE ON THE REGULAR SS MODELS? I'VE SEEN MAYBE 5 AT DEALERSHIPS SINCE THEY WERE INTRODUCED AND MAYBE 10 ON THE ROADS.... WASN'T THAT MODEL SUPPOSED TO BE THE BEEF OF THE LINE UP?!?!?!?!?!?

Seriously! GM IS REALLY MISSING THE BOAT WITH YOUNGER BUYERS BY NOT MARKETING/OFFERING THE COBALT SS AND SC/SS AS WELL AS THE COLORADO EXTREME CORRECTLY.

The cars are STYLISH, EFFICIENT and CUSTOMIZABLE, yet GM will not devote resources to them. The EXTREME especially has been a HUGE flop and a HUGE opportunity squandered as GM had MUCH respect/equity with this age group in the S-10 Extreme. The regular Cobalt SS is the SAME story. The SC/SS, while respected because of it's EARLY exposure isn't getting the attention it deserves now.

It's like there was a WHOLE line of introductions that weren't even acknowledged by the media (Cobalt SS, GP GXP, V-Series STS/XLR etc.)

It appears that all your experiences are with rental cars. In case you haven't noticed people do crazy stuff with the cars and rental companies don't really care about them. Last time my friends got a rental Cobalt, Accent and Corolla, they were drifting and burning them out in parking lots.

So seriously, I doubt any rental car is really a benchmark of the true colors of the cars.

How about go to a dealer and take one for a test drive instead of basing all your opinions on RENTALS?

Apples to apples my friend.....

Hate to say it....but imports seem to bear the brunt of the abuse FAR better than most GM vehicles I get in.....

I have the opportunity to drive Camry rentals, Avalon rentals, Ford rentals, DCX rentals, Sonata rentals, and yes GM rentals.

The GM cars simply don't hold up as well from a fit-and-finish and quality standpoint. Overall reliability is probably top notch....but it's the details that let them down.

The 14K mile Sonata V6 I had a month or two ago was tight and solid as a drum.....abuse or no abuse....

.....and I'm sorry guys.....

At less than 20K miles, the car shouldn't have the issues my Cobalt had....abuse or no abuse.

And I bet people have driven the car hard, but not damaged it or done anything overly abusive to it.....most people aren't that way.

In any event, if I was a "normal" consumer that had that Cobalt as a rental, you can bet my sweet ass I'd write off GM because of the issues the car had....

Not good PR for Chevy....

Sounds like someone's biased against Cobalts :)

The Altima rental I just had with 6,000 on the odometer had a NUMBER of issues.

It smelled like mildewed ass, the engine was INCREDIBLY ROUGH. It vibrated and rattled A LOT more than my 2001 Focus 2.0 liter (And the Altima was a 2006) Especially at start up; it actually made this rattling noise and reved to like 3 grand everytime I started it up. (And no, I don't abuse cars, even rentals) The CD player had numerous issues. Sometimes it wouldn't play the CD, other times it would stop in the middle of the CD and usually when I would start the car up it wouldn't 'remember' where I was at on the CD. The chrome around the shifter had HUGE glare issues and was scratched all to hell. (Yep, if a journalist can complain about an XLR interior fingerprinting, then you're damn right I can complain about scratched chrome---the designers should've factored th abuse in and put something else there)

I could go on forever......

ANYWAY: you know, I was thinking about this article in light of the article that reports of Cobalt sales doing REALLY well. I wonder if GM isn't just trimming production to help resale, like they did with the Impala? The only difference being that the Impala cut was made public because of the 'fleet image' in the media where as the Coblt doesn't have much of a fleet image in that same field.

Sounds like someone's biased against Cobalts :)

Well, I don't know if "bias" is exactly the right word, but you are correct in the assumption that I am no big fan of the Cobalt. But that being the case, it didn't drive me to "make up" my criticisms of the car. They were real and what I experienced.

I think the coupe is attractive, and I've always liked any of the Ecotec engines.

Other than that, I think it's a very cheaply-designed econocar that lacks the substantial look and feel of most of it's (mostly import) competitors.

The interior is junk.....the seats are flabby and unsupportive....the controls are chintzy.....and the structure on every one I've driven does NOT give me a very good feeling of solidity. The whole car to me feels obviously built to a price.

Not much of an improvement over the Cavalier I'm afraid.....except in the looks department.....which it IS a big improvement in that area at least....

Well, I don't know if "bias" is exactly the right word, but you are correct in the assumption that I am no big fan of the Cobalt.  But that being the case, it didn't drive me to "make up" my criticisms of the car.  They were real and what I experienced.

I think the coupe is attractive, and I've always liked any of the Ecotec engines.

Other than that, I think it's a very cheaply-designed econocar that lacks the substantial look and feel of most of it's (mostly import) competitors.

The interior is junk.....the seats are flabby and unsupportive....the controls are chintzy.....and the structure on every one I've driven does NOT give me a very good feeling of solidity.  The whole car to me feels obviously built to a price.

Not much of an improvement over the Cavalier I'm afraid.....except in the looks department.....which it IS a big improvement in that area at least....

You go from an S-class or X5 to a Cobalt rental? If you're driving either of those high end makes, why aren't you renting something a bit higher class?

I can imagine why your vision might be skewed if you get out of your X5 and into a Cobalt. I get out of my CTS and sit in a Cobalt/Civic/Corolla/Sentra and just think to myself "People actually drive these every day?" [/Karen]

I'm sure you could say the same about my CTS, but my point still stands. Perception is everything and looking at the compact market through the windshield of an S-Class does distort the vision.

Edited by Oldsmoboi

You go from an S-class or X5 to a Cobalt rental?  If you're driving either of those high end makes, why aren't you renting something a bit higher class?

I can imagine why your vision might be skewed if you get out of your X5 and into a Cobalt. I get out of my CTS and sit in a Cobalt/Civic/Corolla/Sentra and just think to myself "People actually drive these every day?" [/Karen]

I'm sure you could say the same about my CTS, but my point still stands. Perception is everything and looking at the compact market through the windshield of an S-Class does distort the vision.

I'm FAR more of a car enthusiast then to base my opinions on cars compared to what I drive at home....

I compare the Cobalt rental I had to Corolla and Focus rentals I've had (for example) and compare it to the new Civics I've sat in and test-drove.

I haven't always owned more-expensive cars.....I spent a good portion of my life with my butt in the seats of many varied GM cars during the 11 years I worked there.....

And by the way....I didn't drive the S-Class that much.....and don't drive the X5 that much.....they were my other half's daily-drivers....

I spend most of my time in my '06 Liberty (company car) and sunny weekends in the C6 Convertible.

You go from an S-class or X5 to a Cobalt rental?  If you're driving either of those high end makes, why aren't you renting something a bit higher class?

Reminds me of my friend. He drives an 325i himself, and his parents an X5 and S-Class. Last time the X5 was in for an oil change, and the dealer gave them a Cobalt LS as a loaner. He was so impressed with the Cobalt, and loved it, although he won't buy one.