Cadillac CTS V coupe in NHRA?

hyperv6

A lot of talk on web sites have been coming up that the CTS V coupe may make it's way into NHRA Pro Stock with or with out GM's help.

The G6 GXP coupes are good till 2013 but many teams are already looking got a new car to move to. Most still want the GM power but have little to chose from for a Coupe body. Reports have the Camaro as a problem for the series as the roof line c pillar will not work with the tubs and needs to be relocated. NHRA is not willing to let them reshape the roof. The cars are not stock but they would like to keep them at least close in the green house area.

This is where the CTS V comes in. The C pillar and roof line works well to adapt to the needs of the chassie.

Adding fuel to the speculation fire Jason Line who won this week at Pomona stated his GXP drove like a Cadillac.

There is some time to work out a new car yet but they need to start now as it takes time. Out of 16 teams in the race this weekend 10 were Pontiac's. Ford has tried to make inroads but few teams want to give up on their GM power plants that they have a lot of time and money invested.

I wonder since the CTC coupe will go away around the time a new 6th gen Camaro arrives that they may be right and the CTS could be a bridge till GM gets a Chevy they can use again.

Might be fun to see a Cadillac at the strip.

Granted The NHRA is not the best place to push a Caddy but why promote a G6 anymore? Unless they change the rules or come to a agreement on a Camaro restyle for the race car there are few options.

We will have to watch and see how this all works out. Anyone else have any ideas for a coupe to run?

Edited by hyperv6

WHy would the CTS coupe go away?

GM hates us, and cancels everything just as it gets good. ;-)

Seriously, because from recent GM habit, likely when the next CTS comes out it will be sedan only again, it will take GM 3 years to make a coupe version. At least the wagon folks may only have to wait 2 years.

WHy would the CTS coupe go away?

Caddy will have a coupe just not a CTS.

Reports have been the CTS when moved to the expanded Alpha would lose the coupe and just go back to the original sedan. I assume they will rely more on the ATS coupe for a V series. Note too the ATS sounds to also take the wagon.

But this could all change by the time they get there.

But a Supercharged V8 in a smaller lighter coupe could be a lot of fun.

Edited by hyperv6

I certainly hope not...

I love NHRA, but Cadillac doesn't belong there.

And yes, I certainly see the CTS coupe dying... After all, GM kills EVERY unique product it has.

The Caddy really does not fit the NHRA images but the car fits the rules and the chassis unlike the Camaro. They just need something to promote and the teams need to move to a new car if they want to keep racing GM powerplants.

I would not think of the CTS coupe dying but more as a move to the smaller lighter Alpha. The truth being on the Alpha it may prove to be a much better car. The worst thing about the present car is it is very heavy. A smaller car in RWD and with the same or similar updated engine could just be down right outragous.

Lets get a look at the ATS coupe be for we all get too weepy.

Edited by hyperv6

• 4 weeks later...

caddyprostock.png

Here is a peek at the car Dennis Burnevik, pending approval from the various legal entities, wants to return a Cadillac Pro Stock.

Dennis has taken over the work of fame car builder Don Ness. He as a hand full of unnamed supporters [race teams] want this car. As you can see the car has a similar shape to the GXP G6 and would make for a easy transfer to a new body. The GXP is still a dominate car.

The Camaro is coming out of the plug soon and will be approved by Chevy and the NHRA. But there are some things the teams are concerned about aero wise. The cars are now doing low 6 second runs at 215 MPH so aero is very important anymore at these speeds.

Dennis wants Cadillac to give their blessing and if they do this car will be put on the fast track so to speak. Drag teams will again get support from GM soon and but they like to keep the advantages they have now.

We all know GM will want to approve Chevy but would they give a couple teams the ok to run with the Caddy? I will post if I hear any more.

It would be interesting to see a drag Caddy, esp. if they could build one that looks close to the street CTS. I've seen pics of the 'Pro Stock' G6--it was a deformed, bloated turd that bore little resemblance to a stock G6. I esp. hate the giant hood scoops in PS today.

Word on the street is the CTS Coupe has made it for at least another generation. I believe the big uptick in CTS sales recently is coming mostly from the addition of the coupe.

That would jive with what I'm seeing on the road... a lot of CTS coupes.

Here is a real Caddy that was built to race recently. It is a real 24,000 mile car and still retains the power windows and much of the original body structure. This is a Outlaw 10.5 car that runs 10.5 inch slicks. He runs 4:40's at 160 MPH in the 1/8 mile.

He is at 3:35 in the video. Check out the car after the Caddy. A Mustang wheel stands 3 times down the track and near 120 MPH gets all 4 tires in the air. How he ever made it I will never know.

huntsville016.jpg

huntsville010.jpg

scottlowery1.jpg

I work with a lot of pro drag teams and get to work with many of the NHRA drivers but I am not a real drag race fan. But I do like it when someone does something like this car that is not just another Camaro or Mustang.