1985 Cadillac Eldorado Roadster

Saw this advertised in the local Auto Shopper magazine; went to the Red Cross Motor Pool just to check it out:

1985 Cadillac Eldorado Roadster, 98k, $1,950:

IMG_20110319_135931.jpg

IMG_20110319_135706.jpg

IMG_20110319_135615.jpg

IMG_20110319_135627.jpg

IMG_20110319_135720.jpg

Outdoors kept car, filler panels in rear cracked/need replacing, some bubbling (rust) on the doors and otehr areas, interior seat repairs needed, but overall a nice car to restore if into these. I hate the fabric roadster roof though.

I wonder if anyone has ever transplanted a Northstar into one of these..I've always liked the crisp styling of the '79-85 E-bodies...there is a very clean dark gray Eldo Touring Coupe around that I see once in a while...

I wonder if anyone has ever transplanted a Northstar into one of these..I've always liked the crisp styling of the '79-85 E-bodies...there is a very clean dark gray Eldo Touring Coupe around that I see once in a while...

It would have to be a northstar from an STS, but I'm not sure the transmission would handle the torque.

It would have to be a northstar from an STS, but I'm not sure the transmission would handle the torque.

Ah, yeah..the Eldo of that generation was a north-south FWD, not transverse..that generation had a lot of available engines..diesel, Olds 350, 368, V8-6-4, 4100..

Ah, yeah..the Eldo of that generation was a north-south FWD, not transverse..that generation had a lot of available engines..diesel, Olds 350, 368, V8-6-4, 4100..

The 368 would be my first instinct if looking to stay vintage. Otherwise, I'd want an LT-1, but you still run into the torque issue.

Ah, yeah..the Eldo of that generation was a north-south FWD, not transverse..that generation had a lot of available engines..diesel, Olds 350, 368, V8-6-4, 4100.

As far as fitment goes, of course: diesel WAS the Olds 350, and the V8-6-4 WAS the 368, so those 4 engines are only 2. Also on this list was the 4.1L V6.

Retro-fitting an STS Northstar system into a E Touring Coupe would be a hoot n a half. Still sharp designs, esp the TCs.

http://www.oldcarbrochures.com/static/NA/Cadillac/1983_Cadillac/1983_Cadillac_Brochure_1/1983%20Cadillac-09.html

Wondering if a 472/THM425 would fit- still a pretty long hood there.... :scratchchin:

THM425 has no torque steer issues.

Edited by balthazar

Ah, yeah..the Eldo of that generation was a north-south FWD, not transverse..that generation had a lot of available engines..diesel, Olds 350, 368, V8-6-4, 4100.

As far as fitment goes, of course: diesel WAS the Olds 350, and the V8-6-4 WAS the 368, so those 4 engines are only 2. Also on this list was the 4.1L V6.

Retro-fitting an STS Northstar system into a E Touring Coupe would be a hoot n a half. Still sharp designs, esp the TCs.

http://www.oldcarbro...adillac-09.html

Wondering if a 472/THM425 would fit- still a pretty long hood there.... :scratchchin:

THM425 has no torque steer issues.

use electric pusher fans instead of a belt driven fan, remove the corresponding shrouding, and you'll get over a foot of additional space to play with between the engine and radiator.

There was also the non-V8-6-4 version of the 368 in 1980, and the gas Olds 350 in '79-80. Including the V6 in '81-82, 6 engines..

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

OK now if the 5.7 Olds fits then a 6.0L (403cid) fits possibly even a 425 or 455 all will fit the tranny & engine mnts

The Buick the same thing all older Engines would bolt rt up short of nail heads & older

Caddys 472 500 425 368 all will fit& may be able to install all emission controls even knock sensor getting creative. Also no worries with the Turbo Hydromatic as the '70 500cid put out 550 lb·ft (750 N·m) @ 3000 rpm piddly North * would never make that much

Getting clever with the exhaust you could use Poncho engines

GMC v6 ??????? Bathy? I'm not sure on that engines bell housing but that would be soooo way out there

Chevy Bell is different

Holdens engine may or may not work as they used Turbo trannys but not sure on the bell

So in a nutshell take your pick

Edited by 67impss

and technically able to fit (because it was available in the Riviera) is any North-South Buick 3.8 liter V6 including the turbo.

Wait a minute... wasn't the 3800 S/C mounted North-South in the Commodore?

As stated don't know what bell Holden used on their V8's though I suspect it would be Chevys bell. The 3.8L N/S's could be the same as the Chevy's maybe James from Oz would know or?

There was also the non-V8-6-4 version of the 368 in 1980, and the gas Olds 350 in '79-80. Including the V6 in '81-82, 6 engines..

You misunderstand me. You're talking about different engine 'trims', I'm talking about the physicalities of different engines bolting in (in reference to your post about fitting a NorthStar in). '79-85 Eldos ran 3 different engine 'architectures' from the factory: the 252, 350 & 368 (but as bandied about here- likely a number of others would work).

Only question I have is would a 472/500/THM425 fit width-wise WRT the transaxle.. :scratchchin:

You misunderstand me. You're talking about different engine 'trims', I'm talking about the physicalities of different engines bolting in (in reference to your post about fitting a NorthStar in). '79-85 Eldos ran 3 different engine 'architectures' from the factory: the 252, 350 & 368 (but as bandied about here- likely a number of others would work).

Only question I have is would a 472/500/THM425 fit width-wise WRT the transaxle.. :scratchchin:

If 368 was a factory in the E/W N/S fitment then the 472 / 500 will work as they are of the same blk architecture.

Fixed

Edited by 67impss

Will fit as it is N/S orientation see below pic of engine bay

used-1985-cadillac-eldorado-biarritz-521-6157578-37-640.jpg