Take THAT Oil Companies

Posted Image

EPA estimated fuel economy: Infinity

Zero emissions compliant

With it going up to 65 today, I figured it'd be a good day to ride into work. It's about 7 miles each way from my front door to my workplace. I'm not the least bit tired, and it'll only get easier when I mount a set of road bike wheels, tires, and rear sprockets onto it.

Best part is, I saved 1/16 of a tank and pushed back filling up the Cobalt till tomorrow. Want to do something about your gas bills? Use a bike for your short-distance errands (at least those that don't involve perishable foods).

I need to get a new one. Some of the little trips I make around campus really don't require a car, but our campus is just large enough that walking to certain parts of it can take 25 minutes. A bike would save me a ton of money in gas expenses.

Edited by mustang84

And it's good for your health too. :)

Better yet. Support GM and rise a Cadillac bicycle to work. :P

If the good Lord had intended us to ride bicycles, he would not have invented V8s.

And for those that want something "professional grade"

Posted Image

I've been doing that for the past academic term. Cavy was pretty much parked on the driveway and doing nothing, other than occasional grocery runs. Found an old beater bike left by the previous tenants.

Speaking of beater bike, mine IS a beater, because:

1. The rear brakes are pretty much dead, now running on WD40 brake fluid

2. The transmission misses shifts and needs constant refills of WD40 transmission fluid

3. The "engine" misfires

4. I snapped the shift knob off by accident, and now it's stuck in third gear

I'm looking at a major restoration project this term... :P

Shouldn't that be in like cheeseburgers per mile or something? I mean, it does take fuel... :) I should get out my old one & work it over. It's probably got rusted... well, everything by now, and I know it needs new tubes & probably tires. :(

Edited by PurdueGuy

Posted Image

Zero emissions compliant

With it going up to 65 today, I figured it'd be a good day to ride into work. It's about 7 miles each way from my front door to my workplace. I'm not the least bit tired, and it'll only get easier when I mount a set of road bike wheels, tires, and rear sprockets onto it.

Best part is, I saved 1/16 of a tank and pushed back filling up the Cobalt till tomorrow. Want to do something about your gas bills? Use a bike for your short-distance errands (at least those that don't involve perishable foods).

ohh watch out hes gonna mod his bike...

when can we see some 1/4 mile times?

Hmm....this morning, I'd say I did 1/4 mile in about two minutes flat. My average speed this morning was around 10.5mph. Given my still less-than-ideal conditioning and the mountain bike gearing, I'll take it.

It's a 10yr old bike that I got as a senior in high school. I think I paid $90 for it. It has none of the fancy stuff that mountain bikes have on them these days. I've added a gelpadded, vented seat, 26x1.95 tires, and pedals with the cages for my feet. On the way is a shock-absorbing seat post and a handlebar mount for my PDA/GPS. After that, I'll just need a set of wheels, tires, and rear gears from a road bike, so I can use this frame for both trails and longer street rides.

My bike is broken. I can pedal... but it doesn't do anything. :P Otherwise, it was a damn nice bike that I had modded out with a speedometer/info thing, drink holder, sport seat, LED/halogen headlight, and LED taillight! Now it sits up in my shed... somewhat rusted and its only a few years old. Pity.

Oh... and I can partly blame my 300EX and that thing called a driver's license as well as the f@#ked up rear wheel/sprocket. :D

Vipes, bikes aren't too difficult to fix. If you can fix your ATV, the bike should be a piece of cake. It's really all just turning wrenches. Assuming the chain is good and on both a front and a rear sprocket, you might have a spinning cassette (the thing with the sprockets on it) in the back. Pick the rear tire off the ground and turn the pedals, or flip the bike over on the grass. Watch what happens with the rear sprockets. See if the chain spins them but not the wheel. Once you find it, take the rear tire off, take the sprockets off, and you should find what's wrong.

I can't imaginge a mountain biike that has one of these, but do you have a coaster brake? Those are the ones were you pedal backwards to stop the wheel from turning.

Z, I've had it all apart down to where niether my dad nor myself could get any farther (most likely due to not having a certain tool, but I don't remember... it's been over two years). Basically, when pedaling, the sprockets turn, but the wheel doesn't.

Anyways, no it's just a 21-speed mountain bike where you can pedal backwards for something to do when you're bored, even though it's not good for it. :P Damn Mongoose, anyways... :D

Oh that's definitely the cassette. If your dad doesn't have a tool, you can probably take the wheel (or the whole bike) to a bike shop. You have to go there to buy the new part anyway, so just show them how the wheel doesn't turn with the sprockets, and just let them take care of it.

Now, because I know you so well and anticipated your next comment, I took the liberty of looking up bike shops in Brookville, PA :P

Wait... there are no bike shops in Brookville. How am I suppos... wait, you looked them up? Oh my... damnit, Z... you caught me in the act, trying to be lazy and using Brookville's crappiness as an excuse to cover it up, again. :D

Anyways, we realized we'd have to take to a bike shop or something since we couldn't fix it when we tore it apart... but we're both lazy so it never happened. Damn us. :P

Well, I took it out of the shed just for you all to see... as well as my spare, aka "dad's", bike out of the garage. Took pictures of the two Mongooses... The blue/alum one is mine while the red/alum/black one is his.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Those are nice. I'll bet they're as comfy as an old Buick on the trails.

His is... especially with that nice front disc brake. Mine... well, it used to be... :P With all the rust, the worn front shocks, the mis-matched brakes, and that damn sprocket... not all that nice. That and it squeaks... :D

ha, I'm betting you didn't see my above post.. :P

I sure did. Is that a bike in your family? if it is, I'll mail you my "Roadmaster" decals if I ever go nuts and paint my frame.

BV: brake pads are $5 for a set of 4. Aside from the sprocket and shock thing (which need a bike shop's attention), the rest of that could be fixed with a good ear and, some rust penetrant, and some lubricant, preferrably silicon or teflon based.

I have a bike like BV's first own in the first pic. but mines blue and light wieght or somthing. and an vintage 70's Takara (sp) road bike that can still take on Treks newest bikes, except the driver gets tired after 20 miles of racing and falls into a pit on Metro parkway bike path. Plus it still has orignal tires and brakes and rusted gear shiftng device and painted Solstice GXP yellow. and a GT Interceptor BMX bike and a Diamondback mountain bike before they got bought out.

hah just yesterday I pulled 2 old bikes out of my basement to see if they still worked. The newer one neeeded air and a front brake, which I fixed, but the back wheels is bent...just enough to notice at higher speed, my friend says it bothered him going downhill. My otherbike is one I rebuilt myself, cuz when I got it years ago it was a particail bike. Then an idiot friend got his peddle jamed in my back hweel and messed up the shifter. Years later I think I finally fixed it though. I may get a new wheel for the other bike, stick it in my Shadow, and bring it to campus ^_^

some reason i had water in my front tire (in the tube) it makes it very hard to ride with

Yeah i no what u mean I put that damn fix a flat in mine and can really throw it off balance but i guess if you have a leak u have to fix it i got home on it a while ago but still today i haven't fixed it but it does hold air the olny problem if when you check the psi it squirts out the $h! in the tire gauge Edited by reeferman