Mid-1980s GMC Sierra pickups

I am definitely a lover of all things GMC Trucks, but there are certain generations of pickups I desire to own. My most desired pickup generations include 1955-1959 (with an emphasis on '55-'57), 1967-1972, and 1973-1987. The '50s GMCs are just too darn expensive to restore, as not all parts are shared with Chevy Trucks (engines & transmissions from Pontiac with GMC truck parts used)... and the same could be said for the late '60s - early '70s trucks too, though more parts are now shared with Chevy Trucks. The killer for me with most of those two generations is the entry price to get one. The values on those trucks are steadily climbing. While at the AACA show Hershey I saw many of the '73-'87 models in one way or the other (though not too many show vehicles), and these were the trucks I grew up with and rode in. Prices on these are not too outrageous yet, as they are not quite 40 years old (in 2013 the '73s will be the first to enter that milestone) - I have noticed that once vehicles turn 40 collectors keep watch and start grabbing up the market. As such, I think an'80s GMC Sierra that could be registered as a classic would be an ideal starting point for me.

1985 GMC K-1500 High Sierra - red

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/2652738080.html

- I've always been a big fan of the regular cab, short bed, 4x4 pickups, and this one could fit the bill. Requires a little more body work then I'd like, but replacement parts are readily available.

1985 GMC K-1500 Sierra Classic - black

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/2653273484.html

- Engine work could be a bad thing, taking a lot of project money. But again, as stated above, short bed & 4x4 are pluses!

1984 GMC C-1500 Sierra Classic - two-tone metallic brown & tan

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/2639507218.html

- Not being a 4x4 is a minus, but being two-toned in a great '80s combo (dark brown & light tan), and being a 2-owner, well-cared for LOADED truck is tempting.

The big pro's for all of these trucks are the entry price... all in a range I *could* possibly handle.... :scratchchin:

Edited by GMTruckGuy74

After sitting on these three Sierras for a while and then going back to re-read the descriptions, I think the red '85 High Sierra K-1500 4WD would need the most work, as from the pictures one can see the amount of rust on the body (I could only imagine what the underside looks like). A good total restoration project, but way out of my scope. The black '85 Sierra Classic K-1500 4WD needs a majority of the project cash towards the engine, and then the rest of the truck. A potential project, but again I think out of my scope for what I want. A shame as I've always desired a regular cab, short bed Sierra of this vintage.

Which leads me to the '84 Sierra Classic C-1500 2WD... I emailed the seller for pictures, which he provided:

INTERIOR

post-418-0-55132100-1319037463.jpg

post-418-0-36138900-1319037492.jpg

EXTERIOR

post-418-0-34824700-1319037526.jpg

post-418-0-69685100-1319037558.jpg

post-418-0-34243800-1319037621.jpg

Craigslist ad:

I am selling a 1984 GMC Sierra in great condition. This is truck is in fantastic original condition. The only reason I'm selling it is that I bought a bigger truck and no longer need this one. I am the second owner of this truck and me and the previous owner took very good care of it. It only has 145,000 miles and everything works: power windows, power locks, tilt, cruise, all gauges, AC is ice cold and heat is HOT. The interior is in exceptional condition, there are no cracks in either the dash or seats, carpet is clean, and the chrome is shiny. The cap has been on it since new and nothing heavy or dirty was ever hauled in the bed. The colors are dark metallic brown surrounding a tan center. The paint is good and body straight except for one dent behind the rear wheel on the drivers side.

That is one clean and well-cared for GMC pickup. I emailed the seller back asking if I can come see it Saturday morning ;)

Edited by GMTruckGuy74

Good luck and don't jump cause ya can swim :smilewide:

Make sure it's the one you've got time on your side, try not to let your emotions get the best of you :yes:

I totally understand where you're coming from, 67impss. I don't have the $$$ like that to throw away on a money pit. Even though I really like the black '85 Sierra Classic 4WD, I think it would be too much of a project for me (plus it can't be driven & enjoyed right away). The '84 is in excellent drivable condition (well, from the seller's story) and can be showed off at local car shows & cruises until the time comes for a more thorough resto job is needed. Downside is the seller will be out of state until Saturday night and Sunday we're taking the kiddies to Sesame Place (unless I can get there before the park opens). I don't know if I will see it this weekend.

I've always found GMC's grille design for the '80s fairly interesting somehow (e.g. the '85 4x4 you linked to and the '80s S15). I've always wondered what a more modern take on it would look like on a new GMC truck, although in some strange way it appears the Sierra All-Terrain concept seems to have it's own unique take on the three-in-one grille idea.

I'm watching these all the time (for my own nefarious purposes), and I think they would be a great place for you to start. I agree completely on the value, and your timing is just about right. Prices will only go up from where they are now.

That, and they are just great trucks.

EDIT: I would say, however, that you should try to hold out for an '87 for the benefits of an EFI engine.

Edited by Camino LS6

I get what you're saying Camino, with the EFI engines starting with the '87 model year; however, I'm looking not for a daily driver but a "fun" vehicle to register as a classic and take it to local shows and cruise nights. So in that sense the carborated 305 V8 should be fine, right? The only thing is that it would require the maintaining of a carb over a fuel injection system - is that a bad thing (how are these carbs)?

Edited by GMTruckGuy74

I get what you're saying Camino, with the EFI engines starting with the '87 model year; however, I'm looking not for a daily driver but a "fun" vehicle to register as a classic and take it to local shows and cruise nights. So in that sense the carborated 305 V8 should be fine, right? The only thing is that it would require the maintaining of a carb over a fuel injection system - is that a bad thing (how are these carbs)?

IMHO, the carbs are not too bad. As long as the carb is not completely wasted, tuning them is a reasonable task, but make sure all the vacuum lines are good and routed properly first. Sometimes rebuilding a carb is a plus, as you can modify a carb that has its adjustments made unadjustible into an adjustible carb. Rebuilding a carb is not a big deal, just be careful what you clean it out with and follow the instructions. After rebuilding a carb back to acceptable tightness, I've never had problems getting the vehicle to start on the first key turn.

OTOH, I was always somewhat frustrated with the early EFI ("Dad's" van is EFI), and I have get frustrated with the lack of adjustment and the seemingly unending problems I've had with leaking injectors. OTOH, it always starts right up and has fewer vacuum lines and emission controls. A plus with the EFI is that you can take it off and put a carb on, assuming you can slide through inspection.

I would have a bigger issue with the 305 (versus a 350) rather than the carb versus EFI issue. ;-) That said, I still have my fair share of 305s. :-(

Yeah, one of the big benefits of the EFI trucks is that much of the leak-prone tubing and hoses of the late carb engines went away. That, and easier starts, better mileage, and more power.

With that said, the 3/4 ton and up trucks didn't have quite so much emissions junk on them. In fact, even in 1986 factory dual exhaust with no cats could still be had on trucks with 8600GVW or higher.

With that said, the 3/4 ton and up trucks didn't have quite so much emissions junk on them. In fact, even in 1986 factory dual exhaust with no cats could still be had on trucks with 8600GVW or higher.

Which is sweet. I wish "Dad's" van ('89 G3500), which has few emissions parts, would have had a big carb instead of EFI, though. I always felt the EFI strangles the 350 somewhat... though it may be the heads/cam combo. It aint the exhaust, which is MASSIVE.

Its not like the EFI is helping out the fuel economy... which is like 11 mpg freeway.

I've been driving a '91 GMC Sierra RC/SB 350 4x4 the past 3 winters, to plow. I've grown attached to it (it should be reappearing in my driveway soon). Tho it needs better than street tires for plowing, the fishtailing is entertaining. This too new for you, Roger?

117-1711_IMG.jpg

Oh, I definitely like these years too (there's not too many GMCs that I don't kike!! :lol: ). Who owns this '91? How much?

He said 'Yes; it's still his favorite', and 'No; he's not interested in selling it', but 'If he were to sell it, he'd ask around $6K'.

Now, I have no ready info on whether that's a fair market price for this in this condition, or if it's the 'heartstring' price.

It's in good shape for being 20 yrs old, but it's no preserved original. If it were me, I'd consider closer to $2K, but I'm notoriously cheap. ;)

Thanks for asking, balthazar. $6k sounds like a heartstring price all right, but with the current used vehicle market I wouldn't be surprised seeing him ask $4k if he was going to go ahead with a sale. $2k is definitely better, but still a little ways off from what I can afford. I'm also looking to find something '87 and below for registering & insuring as a "classic", which makes it possible for me to do this. I'm still considering the '84 GMC posted above (haven't gone to see it, and it's still posted on CL), but would love to find a '85 or '86 (like the grille styling better) or an '87 (grille & fuel injection). I'm not in any rush, so I can take my time and wait this out.

http://philadelphia....2620593290.html

That's a real nice '87 R2500 Sierra Classic 3/4 ton pickup... way too far out of my price range though!

Of course this '87 R2500 is closer to my price range, though not as in such great shape as the one posted above:

http://southjersey.c...2674179835.html

Edited by GMTruckGuy74