Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Re-Igniting Passion for Buick

wildcat

The GM FastLane Blog presents a transcript of a recent speech by Bob Lutz, under the heading "Re-Igniting the Passion," dated April 13, 2006. In the transcript, Lutz is quoted that GM has big plans for Saturn and all of its brands. So I posted a message asking for more information. In case they do not use it, here is what I wrote:

"Mr. Lutz, it was interesting to read your statement, "So we have big plans for Saturn, as we do for all of our brands." We can certainly see and GM has clearly explained what is in store for Saturn. But GM has done a poor job relating what is the future for one of your cornerstone brands, Buick. No one is asking you to reveal future product secrets to the extent that it will hurt you competitively, but do stir some excitement for your loyal Buick fans (which include many younger people) by discussing what is in Buick's future and how Buick will fit into your intended thriving, global, future GM. Doesn't Buick, which leads all other GM brands in J.D. Power quality surveys and is leading GM sales in China, deserve that much? Thank you."

Incidentally, in his speech, Mr. Lutz recounted some of GM's latest successes, including the Buick Lucerne. He made these two comments:

1. That March was its best sales month since its launch last year, and 91% of sales were retail, meaning non-fleet, non-rental companies.

2. That Lucerne has the second-lowest turn rate in the segment, 25 days, trailing the Toyota Avalon by just one day.

Buick isn't going anywhere, if only because of its success in China. If GM decides to kill Buick in the US, that'll surely hurt its image in China.

Lutz did mention something about Buick getting a rebadged Statesman a while back.

Buick isn't going anywhere, if only because of its success in China. If GM decides to kill Buick in the US, that'll surely hurt its image in China.

Lutz did mention something about Buick getting a rebadged Statesman a while back.

Okay, I feel that the Enclave will be the first Buick that shows the "new Buick". The LaCrosse and Lucerne were transition vehicles.

I'd love to see a Roadmaster-esque vehicle in the Buick lineup... I hate the thought that everyone seems to be abandoning the massive sedan. I LOVED the Roadmaster.

A Buick Lineup I'd like to see (keep in mind, they're all premium vehicles)

1) midsize sedan - revised LaCrosse, a tiny bit smaller

2) midsize wagon - revised LaCrosse, wagon style

3) full-size sedan - revised Lucerne, a tiny bit smaller

4) full-size sedan - "Statesman", rwd, LOTS o options, V8 Standard, V8 mild hybrid optional, AWD optional.

5) mid-size CSV/SUV - Enclave V6/V8 available, hybrid available

6) mid-size coupe - Riviera (Velite), V6/V8 available.