Engine Question

NOS2006

Any of you ever install headers and/or a bigger cam in one of your cars?

If so, have you noticed anything weird when you started the car and let it run for a few minutes?

And, if you installed headers, were the gaskets like paper or aluminum/copper?

Everyone says the Felpro ones for my car are terrible. They say they leak like crazy.

Anyway, it's just a popping noise. A loud one from the exhaust. It'll pop here and there, but when you rev it up it'll pop real bad. It pops a little worse when you throw it in drive, too. However, I had only run the car for a few minutes. Should I just not worry and let the car run by itself for a little while tomorrow and see if it just corrects itself?

Everyone says the Felpro ones for my car are terrible. They say they leak like crazy.

Anyway, it's just a popping noise. A loud one from the exhaust. It'll pop here and there, but when you rev it up it'll pop real bad. It pops a little worse when you throw it in drive, too. However, I had only run the car for a few minutes. Should I just not worry and let the car run by itself for a little while tomorrow and see if it just corrects itself?

Sounds like you might have a valve hanging up. When you put the cam in, did you check all the valves to make sure that you had no spring binding on any one of them? If the installed height on the head was not checked, you could have some

problems with your valve geometry. If you did this change yourself, you need to read up on all the ins and outs of a cam change. It is not just a simple pull--

you're out & push-- you're in! :banghead:

Well, with the cam I bought, everybody told me there's no reason to degree it at all because it can only go in one way. If you line up the marks on the balancer, cam, and crank it'll all go together.

Are you saying I might have some valve float going on? Or just too tall of springs/retainers? I'm 98% positive neither of those are true. The springs/retainers have enough clearance inside the valve cover.

And, believe me, I was readying myself for this for months.

Well the people that are full of crap then are about 3 people who have done this exact mod on their own car and the company that makes the cam.

The flange is probably about 1/4" thick if I remember correctly.

I also did mod'd steel retainers, 105 lb springs, and better pushrods.

So that's what happens when a plug wire is on the wrong terminal? :AH-HA_wink:

Thanks anyway, guys..

I feel so stupid, but at least it was an easy fix lol. When someone told me timing was off, I jumped right to the coilpacks and found the problem..

My reply:

Don't modify engines.

They come from the factory with extra tight tolerances these days. Don't mess with it. That's why I baby a car. The world REBUILT makes me cringe. It means human hands have worked on it.