Toyota News: Toyota Introduces A New Development Framework To Create More Exciting Vehicles

William Maley

Editor/Reporter - CheersandGears.com

April 16, 2012

Two words you wouldn’t think that would go together are Toyota and excitement. But there was time when Toyota meant excitement; cars like the Celica, Supra, and MR2 cemented the brand as building some of best sports cars before hanging it up and building appliances.

However, the tide at Toyota seems to be changing. The RWD GT86/Scion FR-S/Subaru BRZ coupes are beginning to roll out, and Toyota is introducing a new development and manufacturing framework designed to aid in producing more exciting vehicles.

"The feeling at the time was, 'If we build it, they will come. Instead of developing what customers would want next, we were making cars that would rake in sales," said Toyota CEO, Akio Toyoda.

The new framework, called Toyota New Global Architecture, or TNGA, allows the company to design multiple models at the same time to reduce costs. The new framework will also slash the number of executives involved in the design review process to help streamline decisions.

"Toyota's problem was that it had too many filters. When you have that many people weighing in, you end up developing cars by eliminating the negatives, not by creating something positive, by taking risks," said Tokuo Fukuichi, Toyota’s chief designer.

Added cooperation between Toyota's planning and design groups could bring forth more innovative styling, including models with lower centers of gravity and better aerodynamics.

Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)

View full article

I will give them Kudos if they pull this off. I have always felt auto makers had way to many filters in place.

I have felt that all A class cars for multiple brands should be built on the same underlying platform. As long as the design language stays the same for a family of cars, like the caddilac. It should be a reduced cost to build all A class cars for Caddilac, Buick and Chevy on the same platform with just different sheetmetal, engines and interiors.

This is the future of auto making. Having the set of standards for connection points will allow makers to reduce costs and increase profits for better growth.

Toyota build exciting cars? Something they have not done in about 12 years? Color me skeptical. Having said that, I will believe it if they can at least have a credible competitor to a Nissan Z. Then again, this is Toyota, not Nissan.