VW News: How Much For The 2013 Volkswagen Beetle TDI?

William Maley

Editor/Reporter - CheersandGears.com

June 11, 2012

Volkswagen will complete the Beetle trio with the new diesel model coming out this August. Prices for the Beetle diesel will begin at $23,295 (excluding $770 destination charge) for a six-speed manual and $24,395 for a six-speed DSG dual-clutch automatic transmission.

That gets you a 2.0L inline-four diesel, producing 140 HP and 236 lb-ft of torque. EPA fuel economy rating for the 2.0L diesel 32 City/41 Highway.

Standard features for the Beetle TDI include one-touch power windows, cruise control, leatherette seating, Bluetooth wireless connectivity, leather- wrapped steering wheel with audio controls, three-color ambient lighting, keyless entry with push-button start, satellite radio, and Volkswagen's MDI with iPod cable and auxiliary input jack.

The next step up from the base Beetle TDI is the Beetle TDI with Sunroof, which adds a sunroof and Volkswagen touch-screen Premium VII sound system. The Beetle TDI with Sunroof begins at $24,895 for the manual and $25.995 for the automatic.

The top spec Beetle TDI with Sunroof, Sound, and Navigation adds Volkswagen’s RNS 315 audio and navigation interface, as well as an upgraded Fender amplifier and speakers. Pricing for this model starts at $26,195 for the manual and $27,295 for the automatic.

Press Release is on Page 2

FUEL-EFFICIENT BEETLE TDI® CLEAN DIESEL COUPE PRICED FROM $23,295

The only Clean Diesel offering in the compact coupe category goes on sale in August

• Volkswagen’s sixth TDI® Clean Diesel model available in the U.S.

Herndon, VA, Jun 11, 2012 - Volkswagen of America, Inc. today announced pricing for the Beetle TDI® Clean Diesel coupe. The Beetle TDI is the third model in the Beetle lineup and joins the 2.5-liter five-cylinder and 2.0-liter turbocharged gasoline models, which launched to great acclaim in 2011. The Beetle TDI features VW’s 2.0-liter turbocharged, direct-injection Clean Diesel engine that produces 140 horsepower and 236 pound-feet of torque. When equipped with a manual transmission, the model has manufacturer fuel economy estimates of 41 mpg highway and 32 mpg city.

Model Lineup

Three trims are available with the TDI® Clean Diesel powertrain. All models feature a standard six-speed manual transmission with Volkswagen’s acclaimed six-speed DSG® dual-clutch automatic transmission as an option. All three are very well equipped, with standard features such as power windows with one-touch up/down; cruise control; V-Tex Leatherette seating; front-center armrest; the “Käeferfach” secondary glovebox; Bluetooth® technology; leather-wrapped multifunction steering wheel with audio controls; three-color ambient lighting; auxiliary instrument package; Keyless entry with push-button start; SiriusXM Satellite Radio®; and a Media Device Interface with iPod® cable.

TDI

Manual $23,295

Automatic $24,395

The base TDI model comes standard with unique 17-inch aluminum-alloy wheels, all the equipment listed above, and an interior and exterior chrome package. The standard RCD310 audio system has an AM/FM radio, CD player, Bluetooth® technology, SiriusXM Satellite Radio® and eight speakers

TDI with Sunroof

Manual $24,895

Automatic $25,995

This model adds a panoramic tilt/slide sunroof and Volkswagen’s touchscreen Premium VIII radio to the Beetle TDI trim.

TDI with Sunroof, Sound, and Navigation

Manual $26,195

Automatic $27,295

In addition to the above features, the top model includes the RNS 315 navigation system and the award-winning Fender® Premium Audio system.

All prices exclude a destination charge of $770.

2013 Beetle TDI Pricing

Model

Price

Features

TDI

manual

automatic

$23,295

$24,395

2.0L 140 hp TDI® engine, six-speed manual transmission; 17-inch alloy wheels; power windows with one-touch up/down; cruise-control; V-Tex leatherette seating; trip computer; front center-armrest; auxiliary instrument package; keyless access with push-button start; RCD 310 eight-speaker sound system with aux-in and Media Device Interface with iPod® cable; SiriusXM® Satellite Radio; three-color ambient lighting

+ Six-speed DSG® transmission

TDI w/ Sunroof

manual

auto

$24,895

$25,995

(Includes Beetle TDI features)

+ Panoramic sunroof with power tilt and slide

+ Six-speed DSG® transmission

TDI w/ Sunroof, Sound, and Navi

manual

auto

$26,195

$27,295

(Includes TDI w/ Sunroof features)

+ RNS 315 touchscreen navigation, Fender Premium Audio System

+ six-speed DSG® transmission

Destination

$ 770

All Prices Exclude Destination Charge

View full article

I can't wait to drive one of these.

Because of the New Manly body design language or the diesel? ;)

Well I already did a review of the 2012 Volkswagen Beetle Turbo and really enjoyed the car. I like anything diesel, so I expect I would enjoy the Beetle TDI even more.

The only thing holding me back from a TDI (and I would take a Golf, not a bug) is the continuation of high pressure fuel pump failures and the intercooler icing issues...problems Vee-Dub hasn't been very effective at solving.

The only thing holding me back from a TDI (and I would take a Golf, not a bug) is the continuation of high pressure fuel pump failures and the intercooler icing issues...problems Vee-Dub hasn't been very effective at solving.

Is that not why you then upgrade the system to aftermarket performance versions to resolve said issues?

Well I already did a review of the 2012 Volkswagen Beetle Turbo and really enjoyed the car. I like anything diesel, so I expect I would enjoy the Beetle TDI even more.

That review Rocked :metal: It will be good to have you recap the Turbo and compare it to the Diesel when it is available. Two fun Performance rides.

Is that not why you then upgrade the system to aftermarket performance versions to resolve said issues?

That review Rocked :metal: It will be good to have you recap the Turbo and compare it to the Diesel when it is available. Two fun Performance rides.

There are no aftermaket performance upgrades that Solve the Problem..More can be found on the TDI Club website...but VW has a real problem on its hands with these cars.

Point blank: you cannot rule the world with paper tigers. Fix your TDi problems, VW. NOW.

They could be expecting more lease it, trash it and return it drivers.

I had a girlfriend once who drove a 4-door Rabbit diesel with 300k miles on it. She hauled bales of hay in it for her horses, for cryin' out loud. It was a little tank. A diesel without tank-like reliability is nothing, imo.

Edited by ocnblu

Pretty much TDI drivers are a different breed...they keep their cars for a LONG Time.

Guys in our local VW TDI club (of which I am a member) have Jettas with 350K they consider "just getting broken in."