monitor sources

I have what would be termed, in nerd-speak, a Paleolithic-aged computer I still use (in addition to my '10 iMac), a '99 PowerMac G3.

Yes, it has but a 6GB HD, but it still does what I need it to, and I've CERTAINLY gotten my money's worth out of it.

The planned obsolescence of the computer industry never projected this level of ROI.

Issue :: the monitor is finally going. It's a Viewsonic G790 18". Within the last year, the picture started flickering down to blackness, then restarting- in the matter of about 5 secs. Now, apparently when it fully heats up, it flickers down to darkness & stays dark. Today I got about 20 minutes of 'on' time. Distressing (yea, I didn't forget; I've gotten 13 years out of it!)

Question :: I poked around the net, got either ancient ( :rolleyes: ) or variable info on what I need to know WRT getting a compatible replacement. The budget for this is non-existant, I have no problem buying something slightly smaller or reconditioned, but I have no idea what sources are trustworthy.

Where should I look?

As long as a monitor has a VGA port, it'll be compatible.

Craigslist or a similar classified like Kijiji would be your best bet if your budget is low. People often give away monitors like the one you have. You can always post a 'want to buy' ad in the appropriate section on a classified site and see what you get.

If you want a flat-screen monitor, you can can pick up an older one for a song on classifieds.

Alternatively, you can see if there are any computer or electronics recyclers in your area. They may have options.

It's a shame you're on the other end of the continent. I have a trio of 20" monitors from 2008'ish in very good condition that I need to unload and I'd send one for next to nothing. But shipping would be prohibitive.

It's a shame you're on the other end of the continent. I have a trio of 20" monitors from 2008'ish in very good condition that I need to unload and I'd send one for next to nothing. But shipping would be prohibitive.

Yeah, similar here....I have 3 old ones in my storage unit in Colorado...all 1998-2002 vintage...2 17inch ViewSonics and a 20 inch (Sun)...they work fine, but I'll never use them again..boat anchors.

I don't see any issues. The brand is well-known and its recent products are decent.

You might be able to knock a couple bucks off it. Used monitors in the 17 - 24" range are typically a buyers market - they just sit and collect dust after being replaced with something newer.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I met up with the seller, got the HANNS for $45, bought a SVGA<>SVGA cable, but the monitor is displaying an 'out of range' message on a black screen.

online scuttlebutt says the resolution range the G3 is sending it is outside the monitor's range (G3 has a wide variety of settings). Doing the 'reset PRAM' deal gets an 'analog' bar, screen goes grey, 'happy MAC' icon appears, then desktop pattern while it boots, but then it goes back to the black/'out of range' message before the booting is even 20% done. Reset the PRAM twice, same result.

I need the machine to fully boot so I can access the resolution settings.....

"native resolution" on the HANNS JC199D monitor is 1280 x 1024.

I reset the PRAM 2 more times on the G3, but the default rez on it is, I believe 800 x 600.

I had 2 in-line adaptors with the previous monitor, but 1 was brand-specific (Viewsonic), so I don't think that's related.

I've seen suggestions that some CRT monitors have internal PRAMs and how to reset, but this is a flat screen. It does have separate power & VGA cords, if that matters.

Other things I've seen suggested are to replace the G3's internal battery, and the suggestion there was 4-5 years. Mine has never been replaced, but I don't have reason to believe that's involved in this problem, anyway.

I found the user guide to the adapter- it has DIP switches you can set for different resolutions.

With the 'native res' spec for the HANNS being 1280x1024, I am going to try the DIP setting for 'multi-res - up to 1920 x 1080).

Only higher choice is G3 multi-res - 1600 x 1200.

DIP switches 7 thru 10 adjust 'sync mode', but I have no idea what that is. Default setting is 'separate'- trying that too.

EDIT :: IT WORKS! :pbjtime:

Edited by balthazar