Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Spotted New Twist on Chevy Performance Marketing

I attended the NHRA race this week at Summit Motorsports Park at Norwalk Ohio this wheekend.

Thank God for Snap On's VIP passes to their hospitality area as it was 101 degrees and 117 heat index.

Anyways while I was there Chevy has again appeared at the NHRA races with a new display with a ZL1 Z06 100 Ann Vette, A modified Sonic with racing graphics and lowered with a set of wheels. Finally a Cruze RS with flat black hood, roof and deck lid with a Camaro like hocky stick stripe down the side. While not a real performance option it made for a refreshing look of a modern car with hints of the past.

The one thing I noted is they were now promoting a new tag it is a Gold Bow Tie with the GM Performance Division "Performance" behind the Bow Tie. They then under it have Vehicles - Parts - Racing.

It is like they took the GMPD logo and changed it to Chevy.

We may want to look to see if they do anything similar with the other divisions with their performance marketing.

The new Pro Stock Camaro's look good but other than the headlights I don't see anything stock anymore. One of the last classes in pro racing to use a stock body shell is now a long gone memory. To be honest it was gone with the G6 already.

Anyways I would start to look for more Chevy Racing promotions at the track. Nascar has already had it but I will expect a larger presents at the Indy car/ALMS race at Mid Ohio in September.

This thread is worthless without pics. I need a picture of the Sonic and Cruze.

The Sonic and Cruze were nice but not nice big enough deal to take their photo's in the friggin heat. The ZL1 and Z06 you have seen. In fact the Sonic was one GM plastered all over around SEMA time.

I can take a photo of the back pack they gave me is you want?

The point of the thread is that Chevy may be using a new way to promote performance and we should be watching for what they do.

'sticker performance' cars aren't new from Chevy.

>>"The one thing I noted is they were now promoting a new tag it is a Gold Bow Tie with the GM Performance Division "Performance" behind the Bow Tie. They then under it have Vehicles - Parts - Racing."<<

Where is this; online? A hanging banner at the event? A brochure/print ad? You did not clarify...

'sticker performance' cars aren't new from Chevy.

>>"The one thing I noted is they were now promoting a new tag it is a Gold Bow Tie with the GM Performance Division "Performance" behind the Bow Tie. They then under it have Vehicles - Parts - Racing."<<

Where is this; online? A hanging banner at the event? A brochure/print ad? You did not clarify...

You missed the whole point as it was not about the cars on display [hence no photo's]. It was about Chevy is back at the track with the new handle for their performance line after being missing for a long time.

They were handing out performance related items with the new Chevy Performance based logo and info on performance create engine and COPO hand outs. While it may not be a great bomb blast it is interesting to see they are back since the new Camaro just hit the track a few races ago an it may prove to be interesting to see where GM takes the Chevy Performance brand.

It has been a few years since Chevy or even Pontiac did anything at the track in the way of performance outside a Daytona series race or NASCAR. This could be just the begining of a whole new program that may add up to something in the future.

I found it interesting how they melded the Chevy brand and the GM Performance Brand together. Knowing what GM Performance means when applied to a production car this could just be the start of some good things and a real performance program for Chevy under one badge like SVT and SRT.

The thing to note is their new logo did not have Cheverolet or Chevy Performance but the bow tie and performance. Interesting take to avoid the Chevy vs Cheverolet thing with the anal retentive crowd on either side?

I just thought it was nice to see GM back to promoting performance at the track where they have been gone for too long now. I also will find it interesting to see where they will take it now they have money to promote it better.

Edited by hyperv6

Chevy Performance was at the Carlisle Fairgrounds 2012 All-GM Nationals on June 22-24, and if you registered with Chevy at their computer kioske you received an XL t-shirt with the new logo as you described. A blue Cruze with striping was on display, as well as a 2500 HD Silverado pickup, a Sonic Sedan, and a hot rod '30s Chevy that always had a crowd around it. I didn't get any pictures though.

Chevy Performance was at the Carlisle Fairgrounds 2012 All-GM Nationals on June 22-24, and if you registered with Chevy at their computer kioske you received an XL t-shirt with the new logo as you described. A blue Cruze with striping was on display, as well as a 2500 HD Silverado pickup, a Sonic Sedan, and a hot rod '30s Chevy that always had a crowd around it. I didn't get any pictures though.

We had only a choice of a cheap back pack or cooler. I would have rather had the shirt.

Toyota has famed Car painter and artist Kenny Youngblood. It was cool as we got to talking and he asked me if I knew someone I used to work at my company and it turns out we both knew him well. He was doing personalized drawings for anyone who stopped by but I think many people had no idea who he was. He had painted some of the most well know race cars in history.

It was a shame to see his Parkinsons is getting worse. I guess he does little painting anymore. Anything with Blood Done It is starting to be worth some money with collectors.

The Sonic was like this one.

chevroletsonicsuper4con.jpg

The Red Cruze was similar to the Z spec Cruze but look very production like. It looked lowered just a little but still ready for production. The wheels looked a little larger but the car still carried the RS badge. They did paint the hood roof and deck lid flat black and it has a larger spoiler. I am assuming this may be messing around for some kind of package to counter the SRT Dart. The Dart was only 100 feet away.