Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

GM Skipping Texas State Fair, Hiding New Trucks From Rivals

Source: Automotive News

GM will skip Texas state fair, hide new trucks from rivals

Automotive News -- July 9, 2012 - 12:01 am ET

General Motors is playing a game of Texas Hold'em with the launch of its redesigned full-sized pickups.

GM had planned to unveil its redesigned Chevrolet Silverado at the State Fair of Texas, which starts in late September. But Chevy recently scrapped those plans, choosing to leave rivals guessing a bit longer.

"It's so competitive right now," a GM spokesman says. "We want to play this close to the vest and wait until closer to the launch."

GM's next-generation pickups will accelerate the pickup wars among the Detroit 3. Chrysler Group is planning to release a re-engineered 2013 Ram this fall. Ford recently disclosed plans for two new high-trim levels of its F-150.

The Chevy spokesman wouldn't elaborate on plans for the Silverado's unveiling. It's expected to arrive in showrooms sometime next spring, along with the redesigned GMC Sierra.

Automakers long have used the Texas state fair as a prime venue for truck news and introductions. Chevy is the automotive sponsor of this year's fair and will have plenty of trucks on display. But the 2014 redesigned model won't be among them.

Sources say dealers will get their first look at the redesigned Silverado and Sierra during meetings in September in Las Vegas.

Contact Automotive News

I have to admit I'm disappointed by this news. I was hoping to see a show truck version of the Sierra & Silverado at the NYIAS, but realized that was a bit too early for GM to show off any part of the new trucks. With a spring '13 release, I figured September would be on the early side but not that early. I guess maybe November with the LAIAS now? I really want to see these new trucks! It's not like I'm holding off buying a '12 or carryover '13 model, but realize that may swing some from buying a leftover/carryover and waiting for the new model. GM doesn't want to have to give away the outgoing trucks for sure :lol:

Way to Go GM!!!

I have always felt it was stupid to show off a new model that will not be on the dealer lots till 6 to 12 months later giving time to your competitors to make changes. This should really help Chevy / GMC battle for truck market share. I look forward to seeing it released visually in January and then have it on the dealership lots in March!

That is how I would do new product releases. :P

Are they hiding it or are they running behind?

Hmmm... good question, hyperV6. I think they're trying to keep as much of the new trucks a secret, building up that suspense, and not giving Ford, Ram, Toyota or Nissan any kind of "head's up" on what they're going to offer. Plus, factor in there's a ton of '12 models to be sold and they don't want anyone to pass on those (nor do they want to discount them or the eventual '13s heavily).

I pray that GM is not running behind with this very important vehicle launch :(

Well, Ford is expected to bring out a new F-150 for 2015, and depending on how GM does with it's new trucks I'd expect to see them move up the timeframe to not allow GM to have too long for success :P The Ram 1500 is practically "all new" for 2013, though many of it's body panels haven't changed (they're copying Ford's BNG [bold new grille] strategy). Nissan is defintely not bringing out a new Titan until 2015 the earliest, and I'd imagine Toyota's Tundra will be expected around 2015 too - give or take a year. GMC needs to have a winner on their hands with the '14 models, and be able to bring out MCEs at the same time Ford & Toyota bring out new models - no more resting on their laurels for 5-7 years before MCEs or major upgrades (I know the BK had more to do with it, but the current GM trucks have been on-sale since 2006 with no major changes or even updates to body or interior designs).

I really do not see any radical changes coming here in this truck. I see many improvments and some weight loss. The engines will be the biggest change I see.

I also see this truck not being around near as long as each company will have to continue to make many changed to meet the regs by 2025

From other sites I visit for info on these new full-size pickups, the new trucks will not be class leaders but will match the competition. Reports say there will be a big, unexpected surprise when the trucks are finally shown. Engines are said to be an all-new 4.3L V6 (rumored to be based off of the 6.2L V8), an updated 5.3L V8, and the 6.2L V8 - gone are the 4.8L V8 and 6.0L V8 (according to the news reports). Nothing official from GM yet, so we shall see. Also mentioned has been differentiated styling between the GMC and Chevrolet trucks, with the windshield, roof, tailgate, side mirrors, frames and engines being the only items shared between the two models (I'm sure the entire cab will be shared, but maybe different skins on the doors). This will be a new truck completely (redesign), though I'm now expecting the styling to be a little blend of the current trucks with some GMT-400 influence.

Well we can see from the present photo's the trucks basic shape is pretty similar. We do know the widshield will be raked back much more than the present. Also as you stated the bodies between the GMC and Chevy will be changed enough that you will not have to see the grille to tell what one it is. These are all good things.

It has been stated MPG will be advanced so I expect a lot more weight loss with the use of Aluminum like Ford has started to use. We may see even more plastic.

As for the Engines the HP and MPG are the only two factors that will really suprise. As for the new 4.3 have not heard of it being based on the 6.2. The most I have seen was that many expect the 3.6 to be put into the vehicle as it is one of most used GM engines today at GM. DIesel and Turbo engines will come into play too somewhere.

I see a complete new truck but as with most good selling lines I just don't see a wow I can't believe they did that kind of changes. There is a lot that the Trucks will need to change but non of the companies are going to Hail Mary anything as they are selling too well to take a chance to screw something up. The last time we saw someone take that great of a risk was Dodge witht he Ram but they were in a really bad place and needed that Hail Mary then.

The trucks were pushed like the new Malibu and with the luke warm Malibu Being only released as an Eco I wonder if they will just hold them till they are farther along with all the new things to make a better impact. 6 months would be worth the wait. The new Malibu is a much better car than we have seen yet but first impresstions are lasting and the Eco while is a nice car far from represents what the full on Malibu will be.

Edited by hyperv6

Would be cool to have another truck V6 based on the latest smallblock. OHV with all the latest tech. Would be cool to see it in the new Colorado/Canyon as well. Tune it for torque down low, not horsepower up high. Trucks need torque to move their owners and their stuff.

I certainly hope GM doesn't botch the launch like they did with the Malibu. I did predict the Malibu launch would be compromised by foisting the crappy Eco on the market first. It's a shame, because I'm sure the 2.5 and 2.0t will be excellent driving cars with good fuel mileage and fewer trade-offs.