dfelt

Chevy needs N2A Motors Mojo!!!

5 posts in this topic

GM has had a string of hits lately that demand respect, they also have had a few that are less then thrilling. Some times even a big company needs to step up and realize that bringing in an outside designer will not hurt.

www.n2amotors.com

This company has used the 1957, 58 & 59 chevy to build their 789, they have used the 63, 65 & 67 corvette to build the new Stinger. These are cars that Chevy could so use in bringing in individualism to drivers who want an amazing car with style.

Enjoy the web site at the cars are beautiful.

Nothing personal but RU NUTS?

Even real car guys mock these things and wonder why would you do this to a Vette. Even one from a year they did not like.

There is no designing skill here as they just copies and grafted an old style to a new car.

GM needs someone who can fit a design on a smaller car inside the aero box they are stuck in and make it original. That is the mountain that needs to be climbed. That is why so many cars today are so similar. It is not easy and many companies just take the easy ways out and copy. Few will risk a major flop that could cost a company billions.

Sad but few leaders are willing to take the chances that someone like a Lutz would take. He gets it and was not affraid.

Nothing personal but RU NUTS?

Even real car guys mock these things and wonder why would you do this to a Vette. Even one from a year they did not like.

There is no designing skill here as they just copies and grafted an old style to a new car.

GM needs someone who can fit a design on a smaller car inside the aero box they are stuck in and make it original. That is the mountain that needs to be climbed. That is why so many cars today are so similar. It is not easy and many companies just take the easy ways out and copy. Few will risk a major flop that could cost a company billions.

Sad but few leaders are willing to take the chances that someone like a Lutz would take. He gets it and was not affraid.

LOL, No I am not nuts, but I do see inspiration here that is the point I am trying to get across.

Where is the inspiration in todays Jelly Bean derived cars and trucks? Prius is anything but inspiring, most CUV's are now just as bland.

I agree that Lutz did push the envelope, but even he was past his prime and we need people who are willing to look to the past and the future and graft and bring together new design elements.

Nothing wrong with bringing together bits from the past in a modern day version.

I know that some here would agree with me that we have lost the passion in the design of cars with so many focused only on how minimal they can make the drag.

I do NOT want a redo of an old model, but why not take design elements that people seem to like just as Ford did with the fast back mustang and build a modern day right that can stand on it's own.

We need the passion back and I see it in this company even if it is a grafting of multiple model year cars.

I agree that many MFG could and should do better but I do not agree with going all out retro on too many things. It is a box that is hard to get out of once you are in it.

Right now the Camaro is doing well but the 6th gen is going to be a challange as it will be a global car and the retro only means so much to even those in the American Market. The trick is to come up with a modern car that can be identified as a Camaro that will be accepted buy a global market. The global market is less forgiving on size and visibility out of the car inless it is a Enzo etc.

I just think companies have gotten lazy with retro and the egg styling. Cars like the HHR, new Impala etc.

One thing to note too is full on retro is not fully embraced. As an owner of an HHR I know it has sold well but I would be 1/3 of the market hates the styling. Even the Camaro has a larger than normal segment that hates it.

One car that is in major trouble is the coming Mustang as if they hold the the show car look I expect they will pay a price as it has done the retro thing so long it will piss off the present buyers and they are a large segment.

I guess it just proves you can't please everyone.

Their Anteros car is interesting, but the 789 is just plain dumb..retro done very badly. But I'm sure there are enough 65 yr olds to buy that atrocity to keep them in business..

anteros.jpg

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By dfelt
      G. David Felt
      Alternative Fuels & Propulsion writer
      www.CheersandGears.com

2017 Chevy BOLT Update

Car & Driver did a ride along on a near production BOLT with  Bolt’s chief engineer, Josh Tavel . It was interesting to read that while Tavel stated the BOLT does zero to 60 in 7 seconds, that that drove it said the feel in the butt is that it is faster than that. They also stated that hit feels even faster the the BMW i3. Picture are here of a early run on the assembly line of a Chevy BOLT. These car pictures are our best view of what the production run BOLT will look like and it is looking very nice indeed.
      Some of the other interesting notes is that Josh is an SCCA Spec Racer. As such he had been very focused on making sure the BOLT is dialed in for the best of both worlds, daily driver and performance junkie. The story had the following to say as they got to take the BOLT out and about in the Detroit area.
      At 3600lbs, this compact CUV is what the public wanted when GM did their research, not some slick slice through the air Jelly bean car like Tesla, but a CUV. So this pretty much puts to rest the whole airflow thing, as they did their best while giving the public what it has asked for, a roomy, high seat position CUV.
      Also with 200HP and 266lbs of Torque, the story states that you have a clear choice, put the transmission in D and drive it like any other auto or slip it into L and Drive it normal but enjoy just like the Tesla S a return on regenerative power. What this means is you can get some of the battery recharged driving in the regen mode. Interesting is that Josh says if you drive the full 200+ miles you can get about 40 miles added back into the battery, so then you have a 200+ range plus 40 miles more when driving in L mode using regenerative mode.
      To quote the Story in regards to steering as many here have always talked about the numb feel in various auto's;
      " The electrically assisted rack-and-pinion steering is slack-free on-center, quick to respond, and nicely weighted. Walking that fine line between comfort for civilian drivers and engaging dynamics for enthusiasts is no easy feat, but Tavel deserves credit for balancing the two conflicting mentalities."
      There is plenty more to be said about the auto, an example is that using a DC quick charge, gives you 90 miles of range in 30 min. It is worth clicking the link above to read the story.
      Over all this has made me even more excited about the BOLT and what it can do for the public. Especially that after a 50+ mile drive in the BOLT, they say that having plenty of space for passengers, personal stuff and a highly congenial attitude makes the BOLT a Joy. I do like the BOLT in White as the 19 Pictures show with a decent interior.
      If you want to read just how much the BOLT beats the BMW i3, then read this story. 
      Chevy BOLT stacks against the BMW i3
      Considering this is written by the folks at BMWBlog, they feel the BOLT was designed to give customers the range of a Tesla but focused on the i3 as it's clear CUV competitor.  They also feel that the BOLT is faster than the stated 7 seconds for 0 to 60. They make some other statements and still claim that the i3 is an excellent package for the money. Not sure how they see that as the i3 is 80 miles range compared to the 200+ of the BOLT. Plus looking at the pictures, the BOLT is a superior interior I believe, but then this was written by a BMW fan.

• By dfelt
      G. David Felt
      Staff Writer Alternative Energy - www.CheersandGears.com

Q4 Shipments of Chevy Bolt to begin

According to the Detroit News, North America President Alan Batey production is moving forward and shipments are being setup for deliveries to dealers nationwide beginning Q4 2016. Well ahead of when Tesla will have out their Tesla 3 sedan supposedly.  Produced at the company’s Orion Assembly Plant in Orion Township GM is very positive on the Bolt selling well even at a time of low fuel prices and an appetite for EVs being considered lukewarm by the press. GM states that Volt sales are up 74.5% for the First half of the year with 9,800 models sold to date. The average selling price is up $1,700 over the same period a year ago and the cars are turning over on the lots much faster than before. Research is expecting a 60% growth to 200,000 EV's sold this year in 2016.

GM is very positive on the Bolt as no other auto maker has created and sold this kind of CUV before.

Full Story
    • By Drew Dowdell
      It may seem a little early to those of us in the U.S., but Chevy is giving the Trax a makeover for 2017. In the U.S., the Chevrolet Trax has only been on sale for about 13 months, but for other markets it has been around since 2013.

The refresh is mostly cosmetic. The current 1.4T 4-cylinder with 138 hp and a 148 lb-ft of torque, and 6-speed automatic carry over.

On safety, the Trax now has available side blind-zone, rear cross traffic, lane-departure, and forward collision alerts.

The front fascia is all new and moves the Trax in visual line with the 2016 Malibu and Cruze. The interior has been updated with a new Chevy MyLink infotainment system that includes Apple Car Play and Android Auto in a 7" diagonal screen, along with an updated gauge cluster.

2015 was the first full year on the market for the Trax and Chevy sold 63,303 of them, making it the second best selling car in its class, right behind the Buick Encore.

The Chevrolet Trax is sold as the Chevrolet Tracker and Holden Trax in other market, so we should expect to see those models get the same updates.

Album: 2017 Chevrolet Trax
      4 images 0 comments

Chevrolet Press Release on Page 2

Page 1 of 2 1 2 → Last »

Click here to view the article
    • By Drew Dowdell
      It may seem a little early to those of us in the U.S., but Chevy is giving the Trax a makeover for 2017. In the U.S., the Chevrolet Trax has only been on sale for about 13 months, but for other markets it has been around since 2013.

The refresh is mostly cosmetic. The current 1.4T 4-cylinder with 138 hp and a 148 lb-ft of torque, and 6-speed automatic carry over.

On safety, the Trax now has available side blind-zone, rear cross traffic, lane-departure, and forward collision alerts.

The front fascia is all new and moves the Trax in visual line with the 2016 Malibu and Cruze. The interior has been updated with a new Chevy MyLink infotainment system that includes Apple Car Play and Android Auto in a 7" diagonal screen, along with an updated gauge cluster.

2015 was the first full year on the market for the Trax and Chevy sold 63,303 of them, making it the second best selling car in its class, right behind the Buick Encore.

The Chevrolet Trax is sold as the Chevrolet Tracker and Holden Trax in other market, so we should expect to see those models get the same updates.

Chevrolet Press Release on Page 2

CHICAGO – Building on its early success and the rapid growth of the segment, Chevrolet today introduced the 2017 Trax – a more expressive take on one of America’s best-selling small SUVs.

Contemporary design elements, including an all-new front-end appearance, and a new premium interior compose the visual updates, while new available active safety features and a new infotainment system – with available Apple CarPlay and Android Auto compatibility – expand its range of customer-focused technologies.

“In the fastest-growing segment, Chevrolet Trax’s momentum is sure to continue with great design enhancements, premium details, and the latest technologies,” said Steve Majoros, director of marketing, Chevrolet Cars and Crossovers. “Features such as Apple CarPlay and Android Auto compatibility and four new active safety features offer customers more than most competitors – and at an entry-level price.”

With sales of 63,303 in 2015 – its first full year on the market – the Trax quickly climbed to the second-best-selling small SUV in America. It is also ranked in the top three globally, achieving more than 400,000 sales in 73 markets since its launch in late 2012. China and the United States are its top markets.
      In the United States, more than half of Trax’s customers with a trade-in turned in something other than a Chevrolet. Trax also attracts nearly 60 percent female customers – the highest percentage in the brand’s entire lineup.

“With the Colorado and Trax, Chevrolet and our dealers are able to offer brand-new entries in fast-growing segments, which helps bring new customers to Chevrolet,” said Majoros. “And with other new vehicles such as the Cruze Hatchback and Bolt EV, we will continue to attract new customers to the Chevrolet franchise and continue to grow market share, as we did in 2015.”

The 2017 Trax goes on sale this fall, offered in LS, LT and new Premier trims.

Contemporary design

The Trax’s fresh, contemporary appearance reflects the modern face of Chevrolet around the globe. A new grille and headlamps echo the styling elements seen in new Chevrolet models such as the Malibu, Cruze and Volt.

“It’s a more sculptural, sophisticated design,” said Steve Kim, Chevrolet Trax designer. “There’s also a sporty streak in the new styling that speaks to the Trax’s agile, fun-to-drive personality.”

The front fascia is all-new and incorporates Chevrolet’s new proportioned dual port grille. New, sleek headlamps flow around the corners and into the front fenders. Trax LS models feature new halogen reflector headlamps and uplevel LT and new Premier models have halogen projector headlamps with LED signature lighting. Chrome also accents the outboard fog lamp bezels.

At the rear is a new fascia and dual taillamps, with the Premier model featuring LED signature lighting. The Premier is also offered with new 18-inch aluminum wheels.

Premium interior
      A modified instrument panel is the foundation for the 2017 Trax’s premium interior enhancements. It interprets Chevrolet's signature dual-cockpit design more expressively, with an upper dashboard hood that flows uninterrupted across the panel to enhance the perception of spaciousness.

The redesigned center instrument panel features greater visibility of a new 7-inch-diagonal MyLink color touch screen and Galvano chrome trim on the instrument panel and console contribute to the Trax’s premium ambiance. Premier models are offered with contrasting-color instrument panel trim that matches their leatherette seating trim.

“Customers will really notice the elevation in the Trax’s interior design and attention to detail,” said Kim. “It’s an environment that transcends segment boundaries, offering rich, premium appointments and seamless integration of the technologies they rely on most.”

Also new for 2017 is the instrument cluster, which features a new gauge display with prominent analog speedometer and tachometer readouts along with digital displays from the standard driver information center.

Enhanced connectivity
      The 2017 Trax offers a new 7-inch diagonal infotainment system designed to support the latest connectivity technologies, including available Apple CarPlay and Android Auto compatibility and available 4G LTE with Wi-Fi hotspot.

With the 4G LTE connection, Trax allows passengers to connect up to seven personal devices such as smartphones, laptops and tablets, to high-speed wireless Internet. Keyless Open and Start also add to the Trax’s roster of available new technologies.

New active safety features

New active safety features are designed to help alert drivers to potential crash situations. They are available depending on the model and include:
      Side Blind Zone Alert Rear Cross Traffic Alert Forward Collision Alert Lane Departure Warning

Additional crash-avoidance technologies include a standard rearview camera. Trax also features 10 standard air bags.

Turbocharged performance

Returning for 2017 is the Trax’s Ecotec 1.4L turbocharged four-cylinder engine, which is backed by a six-speed automatic transmission. The engine is rated at an SAE-certified 138 horsepower (102 kW) and 148 lb-ft of torque (200 Nm) between 1,850 and 4,900 rpm.
    • By dfelt
      G. David Felt
      Staff Writer Alternative Energy - www.CheersandGears.com

Chevy Adds 3500HD Chassis Cab to CNG Lineup

GM anounced quietly back on 5-7-2015 that they would be adding their Silverado 3500HD Chassis Cab Bi-fuel truck to the CNG lineup. This truck will be available in either 2WD or 4WD and comes with a 24.5 gallon CNG tank and a 23.5 Petrol tank. They have launched this new bi-fuel option with Southern California Gas Co who will take delivery of 5,000 trucks between now and the end of the year. Southern California Gas has committed to making their fleet CNG by 2020 per the Press Release. These CNG trucks will come with GM's standard 5yr 100,000 mile warranty for qualified commercial and government fleets. All other customers will get a 5yr 60,000 mile warranty. Regardless of who you are all CNG customers will get 2 years 24,000 miles of scheduled maintenance.
  • Who's Online (See full list)