Chevrolet News:Chevy Malibu Hybrid Dead for 2020

Drew Dowdell

Kid_Icarus_Reaper.pngChevrolet has canceled the Malibu Hybrid for the 2020 model year.  What? You forgot they even offered one?  It's not surprising. 

It's tough out there for slow selling sedans these days and the Malibu Hybrid was probably one of the slowest selling of the General's current lineup. The move leaves GM with no full hybrid vehicles at all in the lineup. This comes after the cancellation of the plug-in Chevy Volt earlier this year. The only electrified vehicle, for now, is the diminutive Chevy Bolt. GM is rumored to be working hard on an electric or electrified truck, and has plans to electrify most of the Cadillac lineup, even going so far as to promise the UAW that the Lordstown plant would reopen as a battery factory. 

The Malibu Hybrid used a 1.8 liter 4-cylinder and an electric motor combination to make 182 horsepower.  The sedan could drive on electric alone up to 55 mph, but it lacked a plug-in option.  It came only in the upper LT trim and started at $29,095 before delivery charges. 

View full article

Sad, this was again GM Fault for putting the Hybrid in a weird trim requirement with limited options. They purposely killed this by the stupid mgmt. choices on how it was available and lack of marketing.

• Agree 1

45 minutes ago, riviera74 said:

Why does GM not simply make all hybrids Premier/LTZ trim-level cars?  I had forgotten about the Malibu hybrid; personally I wish GM made an Impala and an Equinox hybrid instead.  Both would have sold better than this forgotten Malibu.

Because Camry Hybrids are not all top trim cars.  The Camry is at least $1500 cheaper than the Malibu Hybrid

Malibu hybrid I had as a loaner once.  Pretty nice.  The big flaws were compromised trunk space and pricing / option packaging. Fusion hybrids sell for cheap prices. I’ll try to find supporting info on this but I think they are discontinuing partially due to issues they have been having. Ie glitches and fixes.  That probably has the most to do why they would cancel it. 

2 hours ago, regfootball said:

Malibu hybrid I had as a loaner once.  Pretty nice.  The big flaws were compromised trunk space and pricing / option packaging. Fusion hybrids sell for cheap prices. I’ll try to find supporting info on this but I think they are discontinuing partially due to issues they have been having. Ie glitches and fixes.  That probably has the most to do why they would cancel it. 

more like poor sales due to lack of advertising. 

18 minutes ago, Anthony Fongaro said:

Definitely forgot they made a hybrid. A little disappointing since Ford is getting rid of the Fusion and FCA doesn't have a competitor to the Malibu hybrid. 

Nissan dropped the Altima hybrid too for this generation.  I think Accord and Camry are the only mid-size hybrids left.