Chevrolet News:Chevrolet Gives the Equinox Fresh Looks for 2025

The hottest and most competitive segment in the auto industry is the compact crossover, with every mainstream brand fielding at least one or more entries.  Fresh off updating the Trax, Trailblazer, Blazer, and Traverse in the last two years, Chevy is circling back to update its bread-and-butter Equinox.  Equinox's current platform came out in 2018 with a mild nip-tuck in 2022.  For 2025, the Equinox gets a major redesign, inside and out, on the same platform.2025 Chevrolet Equinox ACTIV - Full Dash

The headliner for this release is the new ACTIV trim. Representing a ruggedized version of the Equinox, the ACTIV has a unique front fascia, blacked-out badging, 17-inch machined aluminum wheels,  a Maple Sugar / Black interior scheme, and an available white roof.

The current LT and RS trims also each have distinctive front fascias, a C-pillar shark fin, All-LED lighting, and several wheel choices up to 20 inches for RS.  The RS is also available with a black roof.

The Equinox's interior has received a major refresh focusing on tech.  New is an 11-inch diagonal, reconfigurable instrument cluster and an angled 11.3-inch infotainment screen featuring Google built-in.  CarPlay and Android Auto device mirroring will be offered.

2025 Chevrolet Equinox RS - FrontThe gear selector has been moved to the steering column in a stalk on the right side of the wheel, opening up room for more console storage in the center. All models have standard heated steering wheels and front seats.  RS buyers get a flat-bottomed steering wheel and can add ventilated front seats and rear heated outboard seats.

The Equinox comes standard with a host of automatic detection and reaction systems, including:

• Automatic Emergency Braking
  • Forward Collision Alert
  • Front Pedestrian and Bicyclist Braking
  • Following Distance Indicator
  • Lane Keep Assist with Lane Departure Warning
  • IntelliBeam

Additional standard safety and driver assistance features include:

• Side Bicyclist Alert
  • Rear Vision Camera
  • Rear Seat Reminder
  • Adaptive Cruise Control
  • Lane Change Alert with Side Blind Zone Alert
  • Enhanced Automatic Emergency Braking
  • Rear Cross Traffic Braking
  • Rear Park Assist
  • Enhanced Lane Keep Assist

The 1.5-liter turbocharged 4-cylinder carries over from last year's model, producing 175-horsepower at 5,600 RPM.  Torque and transmission specifications vary by driveline with the front-wheel drive models producing 184 lb-ft and routing through a CVT while all-wheel drive models make 203 lb-ft and use a traditional 8-speed automatic. When equipped with all-wheel drive, the Equinox can tow up to 1,500 pounds. View the gallery below to see more of the 2025 Chevrolet Equinox

Expect the 2025 Chevrolet Equinox to be available in mid-late 2024.

View full article

It will be interesting to see how this little auto lasts with a weight of 3,428 lbs. or 1555kg, I feel it is a bit fat for the little 1.5 turbo engine. Maybe this also explains the low trailering specifications. 

At least they did drop a little weight as the 2024 model was 3,465 lbs. with the same engine.

Interesting is that at the start of the Equinox in 2005 you had two V6 engine options with a maximum trailering of 3,500 lbs. and even in the outgoing 2024 model with the optional 2.0 turbo engine you still had a 3,500 lb. trailering capability and now we have only 1,500 lbs. and a single engine choice, no options.

I wonder if this is GMs way of pushing people into bigger higher-level autos to get the same trailering capabilities.

Interesting that the Blazer EV has a 3,500 lb. trailering capacity in RWD models but drops to 1,500 lbs. in the AWD models.

• Agree 1

32 minutes ago, David said:

It will be interesting to see how this little auto lasts with a weight of 3,428 lbs. or 1555kg, I feel it is a bit fat for the little 1.5 turbo engine. Maybe this also explains the low trailering specifications. 

At least they did drop a little weight as the 2024 model was 3,465 lbs. with the same engine.

Interesting is that at the start of the Equinox in 2005 you had two V6 engine options with a maximum trailering of 3,500 lbs. and even in the outgoing 2024 model with the optional 2.0 turbo engine you still had a 3,500 lb. trailering capability and now we have only 1,500 lbs. and a single engine choice, no options.

I wonder if this is GMs way of pushing people into bigger higher-level autos to get the same trailering capabilities.

Interesting that the Blazer EV has a 3,500 lb. trailering capacity in RWD models but drops to 1,500 lbs. in the AWD models.

I doubt it has anything to do with trailering at all. They did build the 2.0T which was efficient and fast, but people didn’t want to spend the money on it.  That said, I think GM has really hamstrung themselves on this platform by not offering a hybrid. The CRV and RAV4 hybrids have waiting lists. Kia, Hyundai, Ford, and Mazda all offer hybrids in this class. The only other holdouts are the Rogue and Tiguan, but both offer more powerful engines than the Chevy. 

The 2025 Equinox looks really good though and they’ve knocked it out of the park with that interior.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 3

I really like the changes. Think a plug-in hybrid will show up? I don't want to go full electric, but a plug-in would be ideal for me as I could stay all electric with my commute, but have the range of a gas engine for trips to the parents.

1 hour ago, Paolino said:

I really like the changes. Think a plug-in hybrid will show up? I don't want to go full electric, but a plug-in would be ideal for me as I could stay all electric with my commute, but have the range of a gas engine for trips to the parents.

Doubt it as GM has made it very clear that the resources $$$ would have to be pulled away from their existing EV buildup of battery plants, power trains and the Ultium Platform or from other ICE projects to build Hybrids.

I see GM selling ICE till the transition is complete with EVs and nothing in between other than the Hybrid Corvette.

3 hours ago, Paolino said:

GM has basically said "no hybrids". It's all EV or all ICE.

I wonder how long this knobby tires and plastic body cladding like it's a 90s Pontiac Montana minivan will continue?  Everyone does it, Subaru Wilderness, Kia X-pro, Ford Timberline, Honda Trailsport, etc.  And none of those crap can go off road, nor are the people that guy these going to try.

Also sick of headlights in the bumper and running lights up on the hood.  Why not just make one headlamp assembly and cut manufacturing cost and cut repair costs?  For example, if you have a front end impact with a Hyundai Tucson, because you have 4 light assemblies, 2 of which are over $1000 and 2 are over $1500, you are looking at $5,000 just for lamps, on a Subaru Forrester you'd pay less than $2,000.

Otherwise I find all these small crossovers boring, they all look the same, have the same features, the same mini displacement turbo 3 or 4 cylinder engine, etc.  Yawn.

1 hour ago, smk4565 said:

Also sick of headlights in the bumper and running lights up on the hood.  Why not just make one headlamp assembly and cut manufacturing cost and cut repair costs?  For example, if you have a front end impact with a Hyundai Tucson, because you have 4 light assemblies, 2 of which are over $1000 and 2 are over $1500, you are looking at $5,000 just for lamps, on a Subaru Forrester you'd pay less than $2,000.

10000% with you on that!  And add more money if any of those assemblies are "active".

• Sad 1

Looks good inside and out, definitely shows a family resemblance to other Chevy CUVs.

Interesting that it has Car Play and Android Auto..thought GM was going to discontinue support for those to push their own crap.

Edited by Robert Hall

Having a Nox- I hated the look at first. But the more I look at it, it is growing more on me. Rugged look gives some cred against the Bronco Sport. The 1.5 will do for now, but they should add another engine sooner than later. Hybrid would be wise too. CVT requires care, or they don’t last. Just ask Nissan. Hoping all models are getting the roof racks, especially with the more rugged look. I really do like the inside of the Nox though….

1 hour ago, Robert Hall said:

interesting that it has Car Play and Android Auto..thought GM was going to discontinue support for those to push their own crap.

Only their EVs are getting that non-sense.

Edited by surreal1272

It will be interesting to compare this w/ the current one eventually.  My sister loves her '23 LT, it has about 6k miles..she's had it a year now.    I've driven it a fair bit, gets around just fine for a compact CUV, very comfortable on road trips. 

6 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

It will be interesting to compare this w/ the current one eventually.  My sister loves her '23 LT, it has about 6k miles..she's had it a year now.    I've driven it a fair bit, gets around just fine for a compact CUV, very comfortable on road trips. 

They do get fantastic MPGs. Some of the best of the non-hybrids.  My sister has a Terrain and regularly gets 35mpg running up and town the Florida Tpk with her lead foot.

Pros:

Front grill lamps and clean looking lattice, side sculpting, rear treatment, and just about all the assist features one would want

Cons:

I don't really like the engine (especially for this application), the dash to the right of the main cluster looks too much like that of the BMW 2 series or the more recent Buick Envision, and the outboard circular vents look cheap and say Nissan Sentra

In short, it's the vehicle's exterior appearance that is markedly improved.

Edited by trinacriabob

58 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

Pros:

Front grill lamps and clean looking lattice, side sculpting, rear treatment, and just about all the assist features one would want

Cons:

I don't really like the engine (especially for this application), the dash to the right of the main cluster looks too much like that of the BMW 2 series or the more recent Buick Envision, and the outboard circular vents look cheap and say Nissan Sentra

In short, it's the vehicle's exterior appearance that is markedly improved.

Interesting your thoughts on the interior as that has received many positive comments by auto reviewers so far.

I do agree with you that the circular vents do not impress me as I thought they looked cheap in Mercedes which uses them everywhere and still look cheap also.

Exterior will always be a personal style as lots of folks like it, meh to me, but a nice look overall. I am still on the sideline about the styling trend of these SUVs, really a cuv.

• Agree 1

Also, all of these SUV/CUVs look deceptive from the outside, meaning you'd have a decent rearward view from the inside. 

Not.

They each require at least a "test sit."

• Agree 1

The other thing is the engine.

People used to say a 350 V8 should last this long, a 3800 V6 should last this long, and the 1.8 and 2.5 in past Corollas and Camrys, respectively,  should last this long ...

If I'm not mistaken, the 1.5 T was released around 2017, for the refreshed Malibu.  I don't know what longevity this engine can attain. I  haven't heard any numbers tossed out.  How many miles have any of these units racked up and have they had any mechanical quirks?

11 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

The other thing is the engine.

People used to say a 350 V8 should last this long, a 3800 V6 should last this long, and the 1.8 and 2.5 in past Corollas and Camrys, respectively,  should last this long ...

If I'm not mistaken, the 1.5 T was released around 2017, for the refreshed Malibu.  I don't know what longevity this engine can attain. I  haven't heard any numbers tossed out.  How many miles have any of these units racked up and have they had any mechanical quirks?

The first year the 1.5T was out it was burning up cylinder heads in the Malibu and Equinox, sometimes requiring complete engine replacement.  GM addressed the issue pretty quickly and I think it's been put to bed.  Other than that, they are just as needy about on-time oil changes as any small displacement turbo trying to move 3800lbs vehicles, but seem fairly reliable.

• Thanks 1
  • Educational 1