Interactive Review: 2012 Nissan cube 1.8S Indigo Limited Edition

William Maley

William Maley

Staff Writer - CheersandGears.com

September 18, 2012

This week in the Cheers & Gears Detroit garage is the 2012 Nissan cube 1.8S Indigo Limited Edition.

The 1.8S is the mid-level model in the cube lineup and comes with a 1.8L inline-four producing 122 HP and 127 lb-ft of torque and can go through either a six-speed manual or Nissan's Xtronic CVT. Our model is equipped with the CVT.

Our cube is also equipped with Indigo Limited Edition package which adds keyless entry, push-button start, an upgraded six-speaker sound system with a subwoofer, a five-inch touchscreen, navigation, rear-view camera, unique black and indigo upholstery, and fifteen-inch alloy wheels. That package and few other options brings the as-tested price to $20,975 (Includes $780.00 destination charge).

First Impressions so far

• Really like the blue and the fifteen-inch alloys on the cube
  • I think there is about a quarter-mile of headroom inside
  • Like the way the cube drives, perfect for those who live in a city

I'll have more updates as the week goes on. In the meantime, drop your questions and I will do my best to answer them.

Update - September 24, 2012

My time with the Nissan cube is coming to close as it will go back tomorrow, and for what it is, its a very good package. The cube provides a surprising amount of space and equipment for the price tag. The cube is also one of those vehicles which actually provides excellent visibility and maneuverability, making it perfect for city or suburban driving.

However if you decide to do any driving on the freeway or long-distance with the cube, be prepared for a large amount of wind- and road-noise (mostly due to the shape) and the seats not being real comfortable for the long distance. The cube wasn't built for that in mind.

Fuel economy has been really impressing me with an average of 31.5 MPG.

If you have any last minute questions on the cube, get them in and I will do my best to answer them.

William Maley is a staff writer for Cheers & Gears. He can be reached at [email protected] or you can follow him on twitter at @realmudmonster.

View full article

The Cube felt much roomier, especially in the back seat. For a lady her age (67), the wide, flat seats were a comfort. The Soul has narrow, harder, more restrictive bucket seats. And the Cube seemed to have a larger cargo hold. Also the Cube had a softer ride.

Why does all these Sh&TBricks so noisy and tinny feeling. To me while I can see it being roomy for the under 5'8" crowd, they seem cramped and then deliver all the noise in the world rather than a relaxing driving experiance. Just seem to be so lacking yet then it is a cheap entry level starter car.

• 4 weeks later...

we had a cube on the lot for awhile. I just couldn't warm to it. Tinny, but spacious.

The cube is beginning to warm to me. I like the spacious-ness. What I'm not a big fan is the wind and road noise.

I'm not finding it tinny either. Feels solid.

Wind and road noise was something that turned me off as well....