2012 Fiat Pop and Sport

A couple weeks back or so I managed to wind up testing a couple Fiats.

Probably don't have much time here....

Fun car, better than I thought (the stick at least). Really would be a decent enjoyable car for someone who could live with the size. Car seems well made and is very affordable.

The Pop I drove was a 5 sp manual. Due likely to the light weight of the car, the 100hp +/- motor kept the car on the beat and I didn't really miss a 6 speed much. Ride was fairly decent and the car did not crash on bumps. Interior was classy cute and was pretty comfy for the size. The clutch path and operation was hard to get used to and really it's an ergonomic issue. I'm sure in EU cars like this are more common, I found the seating position a bit too US out of ordinary to ever get jiggy with the clutch.

Overall I'd find the car more enjoyable than a stupid Mini.

The Sport (with automatic) was not suitable for daily driving. The automatic was too jerky, waited too long, overall not a good match. Car was a little slower too. The sport seats were good at holding you in place but felt a little too overbearing. The ride was more harsh and seemed to expose weakness in the vehicle structure. Of course, this was driving a lot on a busted up road. Still, the Sport would not get any marks for daily driving comfort.

Very much like the Fiat overall, but to me some of the comments below plus the unusable size make it a no go for me. Still I rate the car pretty well. If anyone is interested I would definitely encourage you to check one out.

HIGHS

Lots of color choices to have a unique vehicle

Power with 5 speed is not bad.

Manual shifter itself is pretty slick

Seats and ergonomics are not bad

Interior is spacious for the small size and two can coexist inside in front pretty well.

Car feels like you got what you paid for and then a little

Awesome visibility

MPG

Sexy sales gals whose dresses almost expose the prize (most likely there are probably some sales dudes too)

LOWS

Rear seat not much.......

Clutch pedal has strange arc and engages not like what you might like, never get used to it

Automatic sucks and saps power.

Sport seats hard to adjust and a little overdone

Some of the gauges and controls were a bit fussy and overly strange

Ride on the Sport is too hard and consequently the structure protests and makes cheap sounds

SUMMARY

I will leave out a rating of the Sport Automatic. Some may like it, but really the automatic itself needs help. If you want to get beat up by the ride and have the car feel sloppy and make groaning noise, that's your bag. If you want Sport you will get a turbo and prob a stick anyways.

The Pop manual is what I will rate. B+ because it just does what it does. Some of the ergonomics and clutch things keep it from being an A. More power and a sixth gear would be cool but prob not really needed. It's nice the way it is.

This would be a great city car but also not too shabby on the road. I'd actually want to drive a Spark now for kicks.

They do stand out. I've seen quite a few around my local area, driven by a diverse group of folks.

\Thbey are selling well here also....glad reg didn't totally slam it....

The Fiat dealer in Kirkland Washington shipped out to their sister store in California over half of their 250 car inventory. Clearly not a car that is selling here in the Washington state market. I can see down south this little cheap run about should do well as an initial starter car.

Washington state doesn't striek me as a place that needs small, urban cars.

Interesting little bit of knowledge, though....

Seems the Fiat has become the cheap new car for the 16 year old to drive to school if they do not get a spark. My sister was telling me that at Juanita High school she is seeing more and more new Fiats and Cruzes and a few sparks have shown up lately. Course what else does the High Tech dual income families do around here but spoil their kids with cars. Bellevue on the other hand sells more entry level BMW's and MB to the High School crowd. Crazy what parents buy for their kids to drive around here.