Beating Around

Here's a simple scenario. Let's say you have a few grand saved up and you want to buy a decent beater to keep the miles off of your nice later model car, and to also bear the brunt of going on long commutes to and from class and work, especially in inclement weather. You've found two options that are quite enticing. Here are those two options.

• Option One: 2005 Saabaru 9-2X AWD; 2.5L Boxer-Four; Five-Speed Stick; 57,000 miles; asking price of $4,000 with room to negotiate. Condition: filthy seats; rusty dent in the rear left side passenger door; horrible curb rash on all four tires, but otherwise sound.
  • Option Two: 2002 Isuzu Axiom 4WD; 3.5L V6; Four-Speed Autotragic Slushbox; over 100,000 miles; asking price somewhere in the ballpark of $3,000. Condition: filthy interior but otherwise solid.

Of course, you have a third option of saying no to either of them and holding out for Jeep at your local auto auction for pennies on the dollar.

What would you do?

Edited by black-knight

I would say 9-2x over the Axiom because I am biased and because it's probably the better vehicle, in terms of chassis and power train, based on some assumptions I am making. MPG should be good too.

Aside from some possible common Subaru issues with the engine I can't think of why the Saab wouldn't be reliable. Furthermore the Subaru guts should make the Saab cheap-ish to maintain. That said, you are looking a $500-$1000 scheduled maintenance for the timing belt etc. at 105,000 miles or 105 months. Also, be aware of possibly bad/grease-$h!ting axles.

Furthermore... it seems that nowadays it's tough to find the Saab specific parts for the 9-2xs, which means that front end damage could end up making the car a "total loss." Given the mileage of the one you mentioned, and even considering the poo condition of the interior and other things, the asking price sounds a few thousand low, which either means the car is much worse than I am imagining or it already has a salvaged title.

Anywho, just thought I would try to contribute something valuable.

I won't lie, I'm very curious about the full history on the Saab. Granted, it's in a rather pitiful state to be so new and so low-mileage (I honestly wouldn't be suprised if the seats were frigging bloodstained), but judging from KBB's estimate on what the private party value should be in "fair condition," I'd say you're right in that it's still a couple thousand too low.

The Axiom, well, is just a last-generation Isuzu Rodeo in a negligee. I know for a fact the running gear is easily capable of another 100,000 miles. I have an uncle who has driven one to hell and back and it's held up fairly well.

I'll sniff out the full story on the both of them.

In other news, something else very interesting has crawled out of the woodwork.

Edited by black-knight

I would hold out for a more generic American made auto that would be cheaper to repair.

See option three.

Basically, the beater has to be four-wheel or all-wheel drive, relatively small, and reasonable to commute in. A manual transmission wins bonus points.

I won't lie, I'm very curious about the full history on the Saab. Granted, it's in a rather pitiful state to be so new and so low-mileage (I honestly wouldn't be suprised if the seats were frigging bloodstained), but judging from KBB's estimate on what the private party value should be in "fair condition," I'd say you're right in that it's still a couple thousand too low.

The Axiom, well, is just a last-generation Isuzu Rodeo in a negligee. I know for a fact the running gear is easily capable of another 100,000 miles. I have an uncle who has driven one to hell and back and it's held up fairly well.

I'll sniff out the full story on the both of them.

In other news, something else very interesting has crawled out of the woodwork.

That is a nice Jeep Truck.

I drove the Saabaru today and, to my absolute surprise, it checks out. The title is clean (unlike the interior) and it drives, well, like a late model Subaru. Here's a shot of the outside and the rusty dent. For some damn reason, I forgot to snap a shot of the interior ... which, come to think of it, had surprisingly clean carpet.

E2A9A72B-9989-44E4-9626-555B6E08C939-308

5F1AD5EC-87E1-49B4-8687-00C1DD3CB7F2-308

Edited by black-knight

The truck is pretty cool!

The Saab is much nicer looking than I expected. If the title is clean then I wonder if it has some major issues (axles, hub bearings, head gaskets, major engine problem?). I guess if it drives well, and as you would expect, then that could rule out engine issues. Checking for leaking inner axle boots should be easy (grease all over, strange sounds if bad enough), as should looking for rust at the rear connection points of the front A-arms (recall for this if the car was in certain states). It also wouldn't hurt to look for any major rust on the underside. I'm almost 100% positive that the door (and color) could be replaced with one from the same vintage Impreza. I can't tell from the pictures, but the car could have factory HIDs and those could be costly to replace if they weren't functioning properly (not just turn on but also manually adjust the level with a knob on the dash to the left of the steering column).

The truck and the Saab are on the table. I'm not going to jump head first into anything however, but we'll see what happens. I still have one more avenue I want to explore first before I start to take complete affirmative action.

Like the truck.

The truck would leave a considerable amount of change left over in my pocket versus the Saabaru. Plus, it's not too far from being this:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=134192&d=1354572615

It's just a paint job and a set of decent flares away.

Edited by black-knight