Why Did GM Shelf Pontiac and Not Buick?

That's like picking the scab open after letting it heal for a long time!

Pontiac was more of a clash to the Chevy brand. And Pontiac's image was such that they could not support the prices Buick could, oddly.

Think of the Verano. Think of the absurdly high prices those get. No way a G6 or Grand Am gets that $$$$$ at retail.

• Agree 2

That's like picking the scab open after letting it heal for a long time!

Pontiac was more of a clash to the Chevy brand. And Pontiac's image was such that they could not support the prices Buick could, oddly.

Think of the Verano. Think of the absurdly high prices those get. No way a G6 or Grand Am gets that $$$$$ at retail.

Yeah, you're right about opening old wounds but it has always irked me and I complain to anyone who will listen...I see what you're saying about Chevy and Pontiac clashing I just wonder if they could have gone about it any differently, It wouldn't make sense for Chevy to split off as the truck division of GM (which already has GMC) like Dodge has with Ram and you couldn't have the Pontiac Corvette and Camaro so I guess it makes sense in the end. Sorry for the rant but I appreciate the reply!

Don't forget the Chinese connection. The Chinese market is fond of Buicks, have been for decades. Pontiac had no brand awareness there, so no way was GM going to rebadge Opels as Pontiacs in the North American marketplace. Buick was suppose to be GM's middle ground, but I know a lot of former Pontiac people that have left GM and went to Dodge for their new vehicle purchase (not to Chevy and not to Buick).

• Agree 3

Because it is easier to raise Buick up the food-chain than it is to raise Pontiac.

Cadillac is climbing higher and higher, which leaves room for a premium brand like Buick to exist.

The only way Pontiac could have survived is if they became a niche player like Mini, but only selling sports cars. The problem is that everyone thinks they build sport sedans anymore... Toyota is even trying to bill the Avalon as a sport sedan..

• Agree 1

Pontiac is a nice History Note for those few versions that are collectors capable. Otherwise, Buick was a bread and butter option that fits in the family better than Pontiac and believe me plenty of us tried to have it as a niche Performance player. But history is what it is, too many labels in a market that is due for more consolidation.

I believe Volvo will go away in time also.