Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Review: 2014 Kia Sorento SX Limited AWD

Last December, I had a 2013 Kia Sorento SX V6 in for review. This was an odd time to review it since the month before at the LA Auto Show, Kia introduced the 2014 Sorento which brought forth a number of changes and improvements. At the time of my review, I said to hold off on getting 2013 model and wait to see how the 2014 model fares.

Well it has been almost a year since that review and I had the 2014 Kia Sorento, this time in the new SX Limited trim. Let's find out if I made the right call or not.

At first, you might be wondering what exactly did Kia do to the 2014 Sorento since it mostly looks like the outgoing 2013 model. Well there are some changes, some more apparent than others. First off, the overall shape of the 2014 model has been sharpened a bit, giving it a bit more of a European look to it. The front end sees the majority of changes with a revised grille, new headlights and foglights. The back gets a new tailgate and a set of reshaped taillights.

2014 Kia Sorento SX Limited AWD 12

The primary focus on the 2014 Sorento was with the interior. In my review of the 2013 model, I said the interior felt much older due to some choices in materials and technologies. The 2014 Sorento sees massive improvements in both areas. Material choices are much nicer to look and touch, making it feel more premium. On the SX Limited the seats were trimmed in Nappa leather.

On the technology front, the 2014 Sorento SX Limited gets a new small color display inside the speedometer to show key information such as trip computer, what you're currently listening to, and navigation. The center stack features Kia's UVO infotainment system and eServices. Much like my experience in the Cadenza back in the summer, I found the system to be user-friendly and quick to respond.

Comfort and space hasn't really changed from the 2013 to the 2014 model and that is a good and bad thing. The good is that front and second row passengers will be fairly comfortable with a decent amount of head and legroom. The bad news is that the third row is still only comfortable for small kids or being folded into the floor. Now the third row is an option and if you decide to skip it, you have an extra $1,000 in your pocket. I would skip it.

2014 Kia Sorento SX Limited AWD 10

Thoughts on the powertrain and handling are on the next page.

Under the hood of the Sorento SX Limited is a new 3.3L GDI V6 with 290 horsepower and 252 pound-feet of torque. This is paired with a six-speed automatic transmission and an all-wheel drive system. Much like the Kia Cadenza that I drove earlier this year, the V6 in the Sorento is very punchy and has no problem of getting the vehicle up to speed. Other traits about the V6 that I like is how smoothly the V6 delivers the power and how refined it is. As for the six-speed automatic, it was quick to up or downshift. As for fuel economy, the 2014 Sorento SX Limited is rated at 18 City/24 Highway/20 Combined. My average for the week was 22.1 MPG, a noticeable improvement over the 20.5 MPG from the last Sorento I drove.

2014 Kia Sorento SX Limited AWD 9

One place where Kia didn't make any real changes is to the Sorento's ride, which is a very good thing. The Sorento's fully-independent suspension went over bumps and ruts with no problem. Also not seeing a real change is how quiet the Sorento is. Road and wind noise are kept to minimum, making it a perfect model to take on a road trip.

As for the steering, it is what you expect in the crossover class; over-boosted and not that much feel. The SX Limited comes with the driver selectable steering which varies the weight from really light (comfort) to really heavy (sport). As I have written previously on other Hyundai and Kia models with this system, I'm not a big fan of the system. I left the system in normal as I found the other two on the extremes. I like the idea of this system, it just needs some finessing.

There is one concern with the Sorento SX Limited I have and that is the pricetag. As tested, this model rings out to $41,600. Ouch. If you drop the third-row seat option, you're looking at $40,600. What do you get for that price? Well pretty much everything from Kia's UVO service, Nappa leather, nineteen-inch alloy wheels, heated seats for the second-row, the list goes on. For some people who want everything, the SX Limited is perfect. For myself, I would be very happy with SX which comes with most of the features of the Limited and an extra $2,000 in my pocket.

2014 Kia Sorento SX Limited AWD 6

But as a whole, the 2014 Kia Sorento is much better than the model it replaces. The major problems and faults have been rectified by Kia, making the Sorento a very compelling model in the midsize crossover class. Just be warned you might have to spend some cash to get it.

Disclaimer: Kia Provided the Sorento SX Limited, Insurance, and One Tank of Gas

Year: 2014

Make: Kia

Model: Sorento

Trim: SX Limited

Engine: 3.3L DOHC GDI CVVT V6

Driveline: Six-Speed Automatic, All-Wheel Drive

Horsepower @ RPM: 290 @ 6,400

Torque @ RPM: 252 @ 5,200

Fuel Economy: City/Highway/Combined - 18/24/20

Curb Weight: 5,468 lbs

Location of Manufacture: West Point, Georgia

Base Price: $39,700.00

As Tested Price: $41,600.00 (Includes $850.00 Destination Charge)

Options:

3rd Row Seat & AC - $1,000.00

Cargo Net - $50.00

William Maley is a staff writer for Cheers & Gears. He can be reached at [email protected]or you can follow him on twitter at @realmudmonster.

View full article

Nice Review and update comparison to the 2013 model.

Only question is for the 2014, if you had to choose your top 3 things to improve, one of them being the selectable steering feel, what would the other two things you feel they need to address for the 2015 model?

sorento is a good ride and has a nice 'szie' to it. It is not a holking true 3 row, and it is not a compact.

I looked at getting a base 4 popper once until i found out the real world mpg of the 4 popper is not at all very much better than the 6. A larger sorento 4 banger vs. a rav 4 for a similar price is a good deal. but not if the mpg sucks.

The v6, there are so many choices out there. They get a lot of the basics right.

Time for some new styling.