Last month we showed you a teaser picture of the a coming performance Lexus model, yet at the time Lexus did not release the name. If you guessed it was a GS-F, congratulations, you win the prize. Ahead of the Detroit Auto Show next week, Lexus has taken the wraps off of the 2016 Lexus GS-F. Joining the Lexus IS-F and RC-F, Lexus's F-Performance line is positioned to take on competition from Mercedes' AMG, BMW's M, and Cadillac's V-series cars.

The GS-F will come with a 467 horsepower, naturally aspirated V8 that uses both Otto and Atkinson cycles to alternate between power and efficiency as the driving situation dictates. The V8's peak torque rating of 389 lb-ft is available from 4,800 rpm to 5,600 rpm. Power is funneled through the 8-speed automatic to a torque vectoring differential with multi-mode operation at the rear axle.

Lexus is rather thin on other details at this time, but one spec does stand out; the curb weight of the GS-F is 4,034 lbs, making it one of the lighter vehicles in the segment, of course the GS-F is also lighter on horsepower as well, so we'll see how that shakes out.

The press conference for the GS-F is on Tuesday January 13th at 8:40am eastern. We will be on hand to bring you updates from the show floor.

The Lexus Press release is on page 2

You can sign up to follow all the stories from Detroit here, or follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Google+

Source: Lexus Media

TORRANCE, Calif. (Jan. 6, 2015) – Lexus is yet again showing its sporty disposition and rumbling into Detroit. The luxury vehicle manufacturer has announced the much-anticipated GS F performance sedan, which combines a refined four-door package with the speed and agility of a premium sports car, will be revealed at the North American International Auto Show on Tuesday, Jan. 13 at 8:40 a.m. EST in the Lexus display at Cobo Center in Detroit. The GS F will be the latest vehicle to join Lexus’ high-performance “F” line that already includes the RC F coupe.

Although the GS 350 F SPORT shares the same platform as the new GS F, they should not be confused. The GS F will have enhancements throughout, including to its engine. Under the hood will be a responsive, naturally-aspirated 5.0-liter V8 that produces a remarkable 467 hp (473 PS )* at 7,100 rpm and peak torque of 389 lb.-ft. (527 Nm)* at 4,800-5,600 rpm. This sophisticated engine uses both Otto and Atkinson combustion cycles to maximize power and efficiency in given situations. Befitting the nature of this high performance sedan, the engine will be mated to a lightning quick eight-speed automatic gearbox with manual-shifting capabilities.

Lexus’ innovative Torque Vectoring Differential (TVD), also found in the RC F, will be part of a long line of standard equipment that’ll make the GS F’s handling stand out from the crowd. The TVD features three operating modes:

• Standard (default) provides a balance of agility and firmness;
  • Slalom emphasizes nimble steering response and agility; and
  • Track emphasizes control during high-speed circuit driving.

The GS F unibody will also feature structural reinforcements and suspension exclusively designed to optimize this super sedan’s handling envelope without detracting from its ride quality. Drivers will appreciate the GS F’s handling and smoothness on the open highway as well as the sedan’s ability to devour challenging roads, whether they’re winding up the side of a mountain or at a racetrack. The new GS F will offer drivers a very balanced sedan with genuine dual personality, equally adept at trimming lap times and the commute back home.

Preliminary Specifications* Overall length 4,915 mm 193.5 in. Overall width 1,845 mm 72.6 in. Overall height 1,440 mm 56.7in. Wheelbase 2,850 mm 112.2 in. Tread (Fr/Rr) 1,555 mm/1,560 mm 61.2in./61.4 in. Curb Weight 1,830 kg 4,034 lb. Wheels 19’’×9J (Fr)

19’’×10J (Rr) - Tires 255/35R19(Fr)

275/35R19(Rr) -

*All specifications are for the U.S. market

View full article

I don't necessarily mind the spindle grill, but I have a hard time understanding how all these disjointed headlight designs are appealing to anyone. It's the biggest thing that bothers me on each new Lexus. This is a slightly better use of the "design", but still a mess. Otherwise, considering the competition, I don't really think this will be that competitive. It may be lighter, but with the M5, E63, and CTS-V sporting massive horsepower, I think its already lost the battle before it started. Maybe it'll be a suitable V-sport competitor instead...

I agree with you Blackviper, I think this will compete more with the v-sport line as it already lost against the V series, AMG and M. Have to say the nose is still butt ugly and the dash looks just like the plain Camry. Not impressed.

I don't necessarily mind the spindle grill, but I have a hard time understanding how all these disjointed headlight designs are appealing to anyone. It's the biggest thing that bothers me on each new Lexus. This is a slightly better use of the "design", but still a mess. Otherwise, considering the competition, I don't really think this will be that competitive. It may be lighter, but with the M5, E63, and CTS-V sporting massive horsepower, I think its already lost the battle before it started. Maybe it'll be a suitable V-sport competitor instead...

You hit the nail on the head.  The CTS V-Sport is 100lbs lighter than the GS-F, has 47 fewer horsepower, but has 41 lb-ft more torque. 

Being one of the people who actually likes Lexus and the GS.. I'm kind of sad they didn't go any further with 5.0L V8. Its basically the same as you'll find in the RC-F. I was hoping for 500 or maybe little bit more.

Otherwise, I'm glad Lexus has revealed the GS-F. The long rumors of V10s in it were starting to get very stale.

IMO, stylistically this is getting Edsel-ugly. The huge swath of black plastic mesh just looks like someone went to the hardware store when their grille got busted out, and subbed in fireplace screening. It's my #1 cheapest-looking nose of 2015. Agree with the above also- those swooshes under the head lights are completely disharmonious. 

Many armchair critics are going to say 'at 467 HP, might as well stay in the garage'.

Edited by balthazar

More design is not better design you guys. I fully expect at some point to see a Lexus front end that is 100% spindle grill up to the hood, with headlights and fog lights poking through the mesh.

Lexus' design ethos rings less 'L-finesse' and more 'the hell is this?'. Humbly stated, of course.

-RBB

My car has more torque than this thing.  Lexus performance cars are a joke.  This engine would have been good for a GS500, something to compete with the 550i or E550 (if it comes back, otherwise CLS550).   Plus it is ugly.  How Lexus sells so many cars is still a mystery to me.  Awful torque rating, 389 @ 4800 rpm, mine is 391 @ 2800 rpm and Mercedes made that engine 7 years ago.