Sign in to follow this  
William Maley

Subaru News: Subaru Debates Which Design Approach to Go With Seven-Seat Crossover

Subaru is planning a new seven-seat crossover for the U.S. marketplace that will be out in the next couple of years. But there is one problem the company is dealing with at the moment: should we go with a Forester-inspired or Outback-inspired look?

"How can we differentiate the position of our product? That is the fundamental strategy," said " said Nobuhiko Murakami, senior vice president of global marketing for Subaru's parent company Fuji Heavy Industries.

Both options have advantages: the Forester is easily-recognizable as a crossover, while the Outback has the rugged, off-road look. The one option Subaru will be avoiding is the Tribeca - the automaker's first attempt at a seven-seat crossover. The odd looks made the Tribeca a poor seller.

But one thing is for certain - the seven seat crossover is a U.S. only affair.

"Our resources are limited, and we have to develop our product by putting our major focus on the United States. This is the only way we will survive," said Murakami.

Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)

Click here to view the article

They are right on both accounts. I think the Outback would be the best approach for them in a 7 seater. Good Luck!

I think the Outback approach would make a better wagon/crossover than the Legacy purely because of the impact it has on people because of its reliability and durability. Outbacks have always been the most rugged car I've ever driven, and they can get you out of any situation. I think that if Subaru goes with the Legacy approach, it would be to close to the stereotypical Subaru buyer people tend to make fun of.

I think it's a shame that Subaru thinks they need a 7-seater, but if they go through with it, it should be Outback-based, ensuring uniqueness in a crowded CUV market.

Definnately should be the Outback. Not sure why they think a 7-seater is critical and is needed, but I guess that's what they think and that is what they want to do, but yea the Outback is a good viable option.

I'd like to see them do a Jeep Grand Cherokee style competitor before they do a 7-seater.  After they get that going, extend it to a 7-seater also if needed.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Today's Birthdays

• Similar Content

• By William Maley
      When Subaru launched their new modular global platform in the Impreza, they said the platform was designed to accept different powertrains such as hybrid and electric. According to a report from Autocar, Subaru's first electric model is just around the corner.
      Subaru's chief designer, Mamoru Ishii told the outlet that the electric vehicle would be a variant of one of their current models and will launch in 2020.
      “Subaru cars are designed to support people’s lifestyles, so it should not be a case of designing the car for the powertrain. If customers want change we’ll respond - our cars are about customers loving using them how they are designed - but we are not going to change our design focus just to highlight a new way of powering the car,” said Ishii.
      Ishii declined to say how far Subaru is in development of the EV, but sources tell Autocar that crash tests have started to determine if the battery location is safe.
      If we were to guess what model Subaru is using for their electric vehicle, the Impreza seems like a safe bet.
      Source: Autocar

View full article
    • By William Maley
      When Subaru launched their new modular global platform in the Impreza, they said the platform was designed to accept different powertrains such as hybrid and electric. According to a report from Autocar, Subaru's first electric model is just around the corner.
      Subaru's chief designer, Mamoru Ishii told the outlet that the electric vehicle would be a variant of one of their current models and will launch in 2020.
      “Subaru cars are designed to support people’s lifestyles, so it should not be a case of designing the car for the powertrain. If customers want change we’ll respond - our cars are about customers loving using them how they are designed - but we are not going to change our design focus just to highlight a new way of powering the car,” said Ishii.
      Ishii declined to say how far Subaru is in development of the EV, but sources tell Autocar that crash tests have started to determine if the battery location is safe.
      If we were to guess what model Subaru is using for their electric vehicle, the Impreza seems like a safe bet.
      Source: Autocar
  • My Clubs

• Who's Online (See full list)

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We  Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook