2015 Chevy Tahoe rental review

Just picked this up for my weekend road trip to LA.    Initial impressions--huge, quiet, smooth,

comfortable, hard to see out of (esp. towards the rear).   More notes to come.

Update:  Had a good weekend w/ this truck.  Drove on a variety of freeways, 2 lanes, winding mountain roads, cities and small towns in Central/Northern AZ and So Cal.

Impressions:  All in all, a very good road trip vehicle...lots of cubbies and storage areas inside, power supply points, usb sockets, etc.  Great ergonomics and seating position.  Felt and drove very car-like, not truckish at all.  My previous GM full size experience was a weekend w/ a Yukon a couple years ago, on some of the same roads.  The previous generation Yukon felt more truckish, though the cabin felt bigger.

Pros: Good steering feel

Adequate power for passing on long grades (as found on I-17)

smooth shifting

Very nicely done inside.  

Very quiet, very little wind noise

Smooth, controlled ride..very little truckish bounciness

I liked the column shift, much preferable to center console mounted shifter that would waste space

Power rear hatch and rear window (I didn't realize the rear window opened on these)

iPod and phone integration w/ MyLink was easy to set up

Good on gas..didn't calculate the mileage, but it seemed like it was reasonable.

Cons: high liftover into the hatch area.  The rear floor is raised 4-6 inches above the hatch opening for no apparent reason.  Though when both seat rows are folded flat, it is relatively flat load area.  It seems the previous generation was lower, with more available height? 

Smallish rear window--had to fold down the 3rd row for better visibility (easy to put the seats up/down, though). 

low front air dam that scraped on curbs a couple of times

couldn't figure out how to engage the parking brake (must be electronic/automatic)

couldn't figure out how to dismiss a message about needing an oil change from the information display

was surprised to see a keyed ignition instead of push button start (not really a 'con' but an observation)

All in all, I think the Tahoe would make an excellent all-around daily driver and road trip vehicle.   Alas, I have to return it this morning and back to the reality of my 15 yr old Jeep. 

tn_gallery_500_1016_103258.jpg      gallery_500_1016_33026.jpg

gallery_500_1016_139398.jpg

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Love the Full Size SUV's, you will find it drives just like a car but with better higher seating position for a great view of the road. I love em.

• Agree 1

"weekend road trip" ... sounds awesome.....

As for the Tahoe ... really like the look of these.  But, I mostly see them on TV shows ... don't think I've actually seen 1 "in the wild" yet.....

Cort :) www.oldcarsstronghearts.com

1979 & 1989 Caprice Classics | pigValve, paceMaker, cowValve
"Why can't that be me?" __ 3 Doors Down __ 'If I Could Be Like That'