William Maley

Mercedez Benz News Fate of Mercedes-Benz Truck For U.S. To Be Decided Next Year

Earlier this year, we reported that Mercedes-Benz was going forward on a midsize truck for certain markets towards the end of decade. We also reported that the U.S. arm wants the truck.

"We said to Stuttgart, 'We are open, and let us assess the market.' If that leads to us saying 'green light,' then we will bring it," said Steve Cannon, CEO of Mercedes-Benz USA.

So has a decision been made for the U.S. getting a midsize truck from Mercedes? According to Cannon, that decision has been pushed back by eight to ten months. The decision was expected to come down at the end of this year.

"The product is still very fluid. We've got time to make this decision, so we're not hurrying with it. We want to make sure the product fits this market's needs. If it doesn't, we're not bringing it -- I can tell you that," said Cannon to Automotive News at the Frankfurt Motor Show.

There wasn't a reason given as to why the decision was pushed back.

Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)

View full article

I think a Mercedes truck would be better suited to pair with the Sprinter and Vito/Metris commercial vans and they may want to see how the commercial market wants mid-size trucks.  I don't think they plan on making a luxury pickup

I think a Mercedes truck would be better suited to pair with the Sprinter and Vito/Metris commercial vans and they may want to see how the commercial market wants mid-size trucks.  I don't think they plan on making a luxury pickup

Of course not. That will be Nissan's job. 

Mercedes-Benz is working on a midsize truck that will go on sale towards the end of the decade for certain marketplaces - the U.S. is not one of those places. Now this wouldn't be a luxury truck, it would be built for work. This further substantiated by Mercedes-Benz's commercial van division handling the development.

Steve Cannon, CEO of Mercedes-Benz USA :: "If Mercedes-Benz USA does get the truck, it will be positioned as a luxury vehicle, not a work truck.

Putting aside the very real issue that this is a segment MB has zero need to enter, sounds like they don't even have a firm grasp on the concept.

Edited by balthazar

Of all the Eurpoean brands, Benz has the best chance of succeeding in the truck biz-mid-size or half-ton. They have diesel and gasoline powertrains, they know how to do BOF chassis (G-Class), and they can build 'em rugged (Unimog).

The problem is that unless they simply want to chase the high end of the segment, they may dilute the brand image in North America. Conversely, if they concentrate solely on the top end of the segment than GM is ready for them.

Of all the Eurpoean brands, Benz has the best chance of succeeding in the truck biz-mid-size or half-ton. They have diesel and gasoline powertrains, they know how to do BOF chassis (G-Class), and they can build 'em rugged (Unimog).

The problem is that unless they simply want to chase the high end of the segment, they may dilute the brand image in North America. Conversely, if they concentrate solely on the top end of the segment than GM is ready for them.

Disagree. VW would most likely be the quickest to market and most successful. They already have a truck in production elsewhere that would likely do well here. All they have to do is federalize the next generation of it and send it to dealers.

MB has to start from scratch or dial up Ghosen. MB isn't going to be making a Superduty or 2500HD Denali competitor on a G wagon because they can't sell those in other markets. No, MB will be making what everyone in the US would call "lifestyle truck". Basically a luxury Ridgeline.

The G-wagon is much more 'ignoring a platform for 30 years' rather than 'knowing how to do BOF'. lol

I enjoy kicking fanbois in the plums as much as anyone, but the G-class was first and foremost a military vehicle. Like the Humvee and Jeep, it is rugged, simple, and rough as a cob. If I laugh at it it's mainly because they force AMG to hot-rod it.

VW could have done a good global-Ridgeline kind of thing. But I don't consider that a truck so much as a minivan with a bed. And VW has other, more pressing matters at this point.

• Upvote 1

Know what else is rugged, simple and rough as a cob? This :

chevrolet%201969%20blazer.jpg

Maybe Chevy should re-introduce it, built to full '69 specs (Camino, I can hear you panting from across the Delaware; calm down; it's not happening!) and build a luxury truck on it.

• Upvote 2

Ok ok... I see your point. And no, I'd never buy a Benz half-ton myself.

But if they decided to go for it, you can be sure it would be interesting.

• Upvote 1

Maybe it would. Then again, nissan said the same thing when they launched their full-size truck and we all know….. waitaminnit, is a rebadged nissan-benz still in the running? :crazyeyes: 

Maybe it would. Then again, nissan said the same thing when they launched their full-size truck and we all know….. waitaminnit, is a rebadged nissan-benz still in the running? :crazyeyes: 

I never thought it was out of the running... 

The Best or Nissan. 

The Unimog makes the Hummer H1 look weak.  Mercedes knows how to build awesome off roaders. 

I still think this pickup truck would be a Frontier chassis with a Mercedes 4-cylinder diesel and 7-speed auto (9-speed eventually), the dash from a Sprinter/Metris.  And it will be sold as a commercial work vehicle.

Both that Nissan and Mercedes rendering look really good to me.

I don't see why they wouldn't do this. Pretty much all of the German brands are making vehicles upon vehicles that just just overlap and serve no real distinct purpose. Might as well continue the trend.

That said, I wouldn't want it, and I don't think it'd sell really well.

The Unimog makes the Hummer H1 look weak.  Mercedes knows how to build awesome off roaders. 

I still think this pickup truck would be a Frontier chassis with a Mercedes 4-cylinder diesel and 7-speed auto (9-speed eventually), the dash from a Sprinter/Metris.  And it will be sold as a commercial work vehicle.

Disagree with you on Unimog, they are capable offroads, but they do not make the Hummer weak. I will take a Hummer over a Unimog any day. Testing has proven that the Unimog higher center of gravity causes more issues than the Hummer and the Hummer can be IED proof, have not seen one single Unimog as a military IED proof ride.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By William Maley
      Since Volkswagen and Ford announced a new partnership back in the summer, there have been rumors flying around if it could expand into other areas. The two said it would primarily focus commercial vehicles, but they were open to other opportunities. As we reported last week, the two are discussing the possibility of expanding into autonomous tech and electric vehicles.
      Recently, Volkswagen Group CEO Herbert Diess gave an interview to Automotive News. He reiterated that the focus of the partnership is for commercial vehicles, but could expand.
      “There’s nothing signed yet with Ford. We are in talks. Most of the talks have been centered around our light-duty vehicles — our small commercial vehicles business in Europe, where we found huge synergies. We are both relatively small in size against our peers, so what we’re talking about is sharing a few platforms and manufacturing sites there, which makes sense. And within the dialogue, we are also touching other options, but this will be the main focus if we come to a conclusion,” said Diess.
      One example Diess brought up is using the Ford Ranger as a replacement for the Volkswagen Amarok. The current truck has been on sale since 2010 with a range of diesel engines to compete against the likes of the Ranger, Toyota HiLux, and Nissan Navara. Developing a new model would cost a fair amount of cash that Volkswagen would like to use elsewhere. This is where Ford could in and allow Volkswagen to use the Ranger as a basis for a next-generation Amarok. This may allow Volkswagen to sell the Amarok in the U.S. Of course, there is also the Atlas Tanoak concept shown at the New York Auto Show earlier this year that Volkswagen is considering sending into production.
      “If the Ford relationship works out well, we would have an Amarok successor, which would be then appropriate for sales worldwide — potentially as well for the United States. The other option is a unibody pickup, which is something for America, which is probably still a bit risky,” said Diess.
      This is one of many decision that Volkswagen might make in the near future. Another is allowing Ford to use their MEB toolkit for electric vehicles.

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Since Volkswagen and Ford announced a new partnership back in the summer, there have been rumors flying around if it could expand into other areas. The two said it would primarily focus commercial vehicles, but they were open to other opportunities. As we reported last week, the two are discussing the possibility of expanding into autonomous tech and electric vehicles.
      Recently, Volkswagen Group CEO Herbert Diess gave an interview to Automotive News. He reiterated that the focus of the partnership is for commercial vehicles, but could expand.
      “There’s nothing signed yet with Ford. We are in talks. Most of the talks have been centered around our light-duty vehicles — our small commercial vehicles business in Europe, where we found huge synergies. We are both relatively small in size against our peers, so what we’re talking about is sharing a few platforms and manufacturing sites there, which makes sense. And within the dialogue, we are also touching other options, but this will be the main focus if we come to a conclusion,” said Diess.
      One example Diess brought up is using the Ford Ranger as a replacement for the Volkswagen Amarok. The current truck has been on sale since 2010 with a range of diesel engines to compete against the likes of the Ranger, Toyota HiLux, and Nissan Navara. Developing a new model would cost a fair amount of cash that Volkswagen would like to use elsewhere. This is where Ford could in and allow Volkswagen to use the Ranger as a basis for a next-generation Amarok. This may allow Volkswagen to sell the Amarok in the U.S. Of course, there is also the Atlas Tanoak concept shown at the New York Auto Show earlier this year that Volkswagen is considering sending into production.
      “If the Ford relationship works out well, we would have an Amarok successor, which would be then appropriate for sales worldwide — potentially as well for the United States. The other option is a unibody pickup, which is something for America, which is probably still a bit risky,” said Diess.
      This is one of many decision that Volkswagen might make in the near future. Another is allowing Ford to use their MEB toolkit for electric vehicles.
    • By William Maley
      A new report from Automobile Magazine says that smart is living on borrow time and could disappear by 2026 at the earliest.
      According to various sources, Renault will be pulling out of partnership when the current Twingo/ForFour ends production. The two models share the same architecture in an effort to save costs. Without a partner, Mercedes-Benz isn't as keen to keep smart around.
      A key question is whether or not Mercedes-Benz will produce a new model with a three-pointed star to compete against the likes of the Mini Cooper and Audi A1. A decision by the board needs to happen by 2021 when it must sign off the next-generation A-class, Why? That's because the new model will use the same platform as the next-generation A-Class. Automobile says the platform will replace the current MFA2 and allow for a "fully scalable, all-new convergence layout" - thus allowing an even smaller vehicle.
      But there is a possible twist. Chinese automaker Geely owns a 9.7 percent stake in Daimler, and could become a replacement partner if a business case could be made for an electrified brand.
      Source: Automobile Magazine

View full article
    • By William Maley
      A new report from Automobile Magazine says that smart is living on borrow time and could disappear by 2026 at the earliest.
      According to various sources, Renault will be pulling out of partnership when the current Twingo/ForFour ends production. The two models share the same architecture in an effort to save costs. Without a partner, Mercedes-Benz isn't as keen to keep smart around.
      A key question is whether or not Mercedes-Benz will produce a new model with a three-pointed star to compete against the likes of the Mini Cooper and Audi A1. A decision by the board needs to happen by 2021 when it must sign off the next-generation A-class, Why? That's because the new model will use the same platform as the next-generation A-Class. Automobile says the platform will replace the current MFA2 and allow for a "fully scalable, all-new convergence layout" - thus allowing an even smaller vehicle.
      But there is a possible twist. Chinese automaker Geely owns a 9.7 percent stake in Daimler, and could become a replacement partner if a business case could be made for an electrified brand.
      Source: Automobile Magazine
  • My Clubs