Continental Reveal In 3 Months at NAIAS

Guest Wings4Life(BANNED)

Guest Wings4Life(BANNED)

But the most important new model for the brand could be the Continental four-door sedan, which will bow at the Detroit auto show next January. It will be based on a front-wheel-drive platform; Jalal confirmed an all-wheel-drive version. A hybrid is not in the cards any time soon.

The significance of the Continental stretches to styling. Its grille—seen as Bentley-esque by some—could replace the current “waterfall” grille. Could the new grille be put on existing models on the occasion of a mid-term facelift? “It is possible,” says Jalal, adding that the reaction to the Continental concept at this year’s New York auto show was “very promising.”

The Continental won’t usher in a new naming scheme: “For now the MK nomenclature is here to stay,” Jalal submits. Navigator and Continental, two names with a rich history, are the exceptions.

Lincoln is not looking at sporty derivatives: “We have high-performance engines, but we are going for a luxurious feeling rather than sportiness,” says Jalal. And a diesel “is not being considered at the moment.” By contrast, Lincoln is especially happy with the MKZ Hybrid, which has a 60 percent conquest rate; many customers are moving upmarket from Toyota.

The MKT, the large crossover that is so popular with the livery business, will carry on for another few years, but there is no decision yet on a replacement. A successor for the Navigator, on the other hand, is a sure thing—as Lincoln realizes that its segment, which they pioneered, is there to stay and grow.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/luxury-not-performance-at-lincoln-and-the-continental-bows-at-detroit/

It will be interesting to see how much pizzaz the production model has compared to the concept they showed in New York. I suspect at that point we will get a much more realistic assessment of what Lincoln can do relative to the potential competitors in its size and weight class.

It will be interesting to see how much pizzaz the production model has compared to the concept they showed in New York. I suspect at that point we will get a much more realistic assessment of what Lincoln can do relative to the potential competitors in its size and weight class.

That is actually exactly what I was thinking.

I don't like that the word "reveal" is used as if there will be a lot changed. I thought it was "revealed" last year..(or early this year..I don't remember).

If it can deliver the essence of luxury and be able to really communicate it as well, it'll move the brand forward. Have world-class panel gaps. Meticulous material selection and craftsmanship. And frameless doors. Yes, that would really help.

Options galore, but realistic pricing as well. Quality of implements available first, not quantity. And give it some kind of lasting competitive advantage. I like the 30 way massage seats standard, and killer audio... basically a lazyboy massage concert in a car.

Quiet refinement. High quality lighting. Bunker like build, and decent gusto. 

Now not having rwd is already going to make it a tougher propostition for those who want prestige first. So Lincoln's gotta make it up elsewhere. They better make sure it isn't another fancy Taurus or a fresh Acura RLX competitor. That would be suicide. 

But I really liked the concept's looks and interior, so that is the winning formula they must preserve transitioning to production.