New ATS wheels have swappable inserts

How cool is this? Caddy's new 19 inch rollers for the ATS have interchangeable inserts. Maybe another automaker did it first, but it's new to me. Great way to give your car a fresh look every once in a while.

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2015/12/cadillac-introduces-new-inserts-for-new-ats-accessory-wheels/

Cadillac-ATS-Accessory-Wheel-Ultra-Silve

Cadillac-ATS-Accessory-Wheel-Satin-Graph

Very cool for those that like to make changes to keep their wheels looking fresh. 

Personally I do not like the looks of those rims. I also wonder about how well the inserts would stay especially if you hit potholes. We see plenty of auto's that have lost their hub caps, I can see this being like that and then you end up with an ugly rim.

Imagine the potential for something like this though, even besides just appearance. What if the furthest protruding face of the wheel was the insert, so curb rash could be swapped out with a few cheap (relatively) replacements? Just spitballing here.

I personally wouldn't want 19s on the ATS. It's all form and no function. There are three 18 inch options that I find quite attractive.

• Agree 1

Imagine the potential for something like this though, even besides just appearance. What if the furthest protruding face of the wheel was the insert, so curb rash could be swapped out with a few cheap (relatively) replacements? Just spitballing here.

I personally wouldn't want 19s on the ATS. It's all form and no function. There are three 18 inch options that I find quite attractive.

I think they've had something like this for decade. I believe they call them "hub caps" or "wheel covers".   :neenerneener:

But in all seriousness, I think th insert thing is an awesome idea. I'm not 100% on that above rim but it is still a good looking wheel. Honestly, I think if it is something this cheap and easily replaceable I would mess around with 1 or 2 inserts and make it look asymmetrical at times. Paint them different colors..  I also think as long as they are balanced correctly the one or two plastic inserts wouldn't mess with wheel/tire balance enough to negatively effect the ride. All in all, I think it's an awesome idea. 

Edited by ccap41