Sign in to follow this  
William Maley

Nissan News: Nissan Hard At Work On Next-Generation GT-R

This year's New York Auto Show saw Nissan reveal a facelifted GT-R complete with a new front end and a more powerful version of the twin-turbo V6 engine. But Nissan is hard at work on designing the next generation GT-R.

Automotive News spoke with Nissan's chief creative officer, Shiro Nakamura. Nakamura said one of the key goals with the next GT-R is to boost the efficiency of the twin-turbo V6 and there is the possibility of the vehicle using a hybrid system.

"Electrification is almost inevitable for any car. If the next-generation GT-R has some electrification, nobody would be surprised at that time," said Nakamura.

Deciding the powertrain configuration will play a key role into how the next GT-R is designed. Nakamura admits redesigning the GT-R will be a challenge.

"It's very tough to redesign this car, but we are starting now."

Nakamura believes the GT-R still looks good because it doesn't try to copy or follow design trends.

"To my eye, it still doesn't look old because it's not influenced by anything. If it tries to capture some trend, it would look dated," said Nakamura.

The goals with the GT-R redesign is to improve overall aerodynamics and performance.

Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)
Pic Credit: Newspress USA

Click here to view the article

Hopefully they can get rid of the Blah design language and bring back the Mojo of the R33/R34 version. That was a true Skyline.

Im beginning to warm over with the styling of the R32. Its a little raw and rough around the edges styling wise as where The R33 and R34 have dialed it in.

Like I said, the R32 is slowly captivating me. I saw a couple of them over the week-end and they...look good. Id say as good as a GM G-Body from the 1980s. A tad less refined and stylish, but very comparable.

The R33 and R34 are just superbly done...

Performance wise as well as styling design!!!

The GT-R...I NOW find it ugly.

When it came out...what? A decade ago?  I liked the styling....liked...not loved....the design did not blow me away, but it was...likeable.

Over the years though, I fell outta love with...

1. I realized that its a HUGE car...muscle car proportions. Usually I dont have a problem with that, however, the GT-R IS kinda the continuation of the SKYLINE bloodline...INFINITI G35 aside, Skylines are smallish Japanese flavoured muscle cars...

The GT-R is a....well...its a start of something new...I could respect that too....HOWEVER...

2. The car is too digital for my tastes...too Playstation 4 Grand Turismo 6 for me to respect it. Its fantastic for what it is. Not my style is what Im saying.

If I want a big car, a muscle car, Id just get the biggest baddest muscle car there is...a Dodge Challenger Hellcat. Its the real deal. I dont care if the Hellcat aint as fast or doesnt turn the corners as well. It does the one thing I want it to do FLAWLESSLY...and that is it being one bad ass ride. A REAL muscle car ride. Complete with a big honking loping V8. You cant say that with the GT-R...

3. The GT-R is soooooo digital...its impressive actually, however, hell will NEVER be unleashed unless the GT-R's GPS acknowledges its on a racetrack.. With the Hellcat, Satan is riding shotgun with you at all times.

I do have to say though, if Nissan does decide to electrify the powertrain on the next gen GT-R, then it would definitely  befit the persona of the car, its all electronic performance anyway...its a personality trait that I could start respecting the GT-R again.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Today's Birthdays

No users celebrating today.
  • Similar Content

• By William Maley
      Toyota's polarizing C-HR crossover went on sale earlier this year and it isn't doing so well in terms of sales. Through November, Toyota has only moved 21,889 units, way less than Chevrolet Trax (72,723 units) and Honda HR-V (86,491).
      Speaking to Wards Auto, Toyota Motor Sales USA's president Bob Carter said a key reason the comes down to the C-HR not offering all-wheel drive in North America. Most subcompact crossovers sold in the U.S. have the option of AWD. But if Toyota was to AWD to the C-HR, it would highlight another problem. The C-HR carries a base price of $22,500, making it one of the more expensive models in the class.
      The C-HR isn't the only crossover that will only come front-wheel drive. Nissan's upcoming Kicks crossover will also be FWD only. However, Michael Bunce, senior vice president-product planning for Nissan North America tells Wards that only offering FWD on the Kicks shouldn't dent sales due to the low price of under $19,000. Those who want AWD will need to step up to the Rogue Sport which begins at $22,470 for the base S AWD.
      Source: Wards Auto

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Toyota's polarizing C-HR crossover went on sale earlier this year and it isn't doing so well in terms of sales. Through November, Toyota has only moved 21,889 units, way less than Chevrolet Trax (72,723 units) and Honda HR-V (86,491).
      Speaking to Wards Auto, Toyota Motor Sales USA's president Bob Carter said a key reason the comes down to the C-HR not offering all-wheel drive in North America. Most subcompact crossovers sold in the U.S. have the option of AWD. But if Toyota was to AWD to the C-HR, it would highlight another problem. The C-HR carries a base price of $22,500, making it one of the more expensive models in the class.
      The C-HR isn't the only crossover that will only come front-wheel drive. Nissan's upcoming Kicks crossover will also be FWD only. However, Michael Bunce, senior vice president-product planning for Nissan North America tells Wards that only offering FWD on the Kicks shouldn't dent sales due to the low price of under $19,000. Those who want AWD will need to step up to the Rogue Sport which begins at $22,470 for the base S AWD.
      Source: Wards Auto
    • By William Maley
      The Nissan Titan will soon be available for sale in China. According to Automotive News, Nissan is planning to export Titans from their Canton, Mississippi plant to China to hopefully take a slice of the country's commercial and construction segments. But Nissan North America's Chairman Jose Munoz admits there's another reason for the Titan in China.
      "The Chinese look very much to the United States and they see pickups driving families here. They asked, Why don't we have those pickups here?" said Munoz.
      Nissan is saying how many Titans it will be sending to China, but Munoz said there isn't a lot of factory capacity to build out more Titans at the moment.
      This seems to mesh with Nissan's plan on launch the Titan family of trucks into other markets we on reported last month .
      Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)

View full article
    • By William Maley
      The Nissan Titan will soon be available for sale in China. According to Automotive News, Nissan is planning to export Titans from their Canton, Mississippi plant to China to hopefully take a slice of the country's commercial and construction segments. But Nissan North America's Chairman Jose Munoz admits there's another reason for the Titan in China.
      "The Chinese look very much to the United States and they see pickups driving families here. They asked, Why don't we have those pickups here?" said Munoz.
      Nissan is saying how many Titans it will be sending to China, but Munoz said there isn't a lot of factory capacity to build out more Titans at the moment.
      This seems to mesh with Nissan's plan on launch the Titan family of trucks into other markets we on reported last month .
      Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)
    • By William Maley
      The idea of Porsche doing a 911 hybrid has come and gone, and it seems to be coming once again.
      Bloomberg has learned from sources at Porsche that they are considering a hybrid powertrain for their iconic sports car once again. If given the green light, it would appear a few years after the launch of the next-generation 911 (due sometime next year) and possibly offer up to 40 miles of electric-only range. A problem that engineers are working on is trying to cut down battery weight the handling characteristics the vehicle is known for.
      It should be noted the Porsche has been going back and forth on this idea since 2014. Back in May, Porsche's head of development for the 718 and 911 said plans for 911 plug-in hybrid were canceled last year due to weight concerns and not being able to make much a profit as they would with a standard 911.
      Source: Bloomberg

View full article
  • My Clubs

• Who's Online (See full list)

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We  Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook