William Maley

VW News: As the Diesel Emits: U.S. Federal Judge Gives the Preliminary Approval On Volkswagen's Settlement

Last month, Volkswagen announced that it had reached a $14.7 billion settlement with the U.S. Government over the illegal software used on the 2.0L TDI engine. But before anything could be put into motion, it had to get the go-ahead from U.S. District Court Judge Charles Breyer.

Yesterday at a hearing in San Francisco, Judge Breyer gave his preliminary approval on the settlement. This now means Volkswagen and Audi can start sending out official notices to owners explaining what happens next. Those hoping for buyback offers will need to wait a few more months. Breyer has scheduled a hearing on October 18th to hopefully give the final approval.

Also, a lawyer for the Department of Justice told the court yesterday that Volkswagen would be proposing a new fix for the 3.0L TDI V6 within the next month.

Source: Reuters, Volkswagen

Press Release is on Page 2

Click here to view the article

Wonder how many auto's will be fixed versus buying back? My gut tells me VW will attempt to minimize buying the auto back and going with the fix to minimize their cost. Yet I suspect most owners will want a buy back. Going to be interesting to see how this plays out.

I still think as Europe pushes for a US style solution that VW and Diesel will continue to dwindle and eventually dye as they move to Hybrids, plug-in Hybrids, EVs and more efficient Petrol models through Turbocharging or variable Supercharging.

But the solution doesn't EVEN WORK!!!

Exactly, how do you approve a solution that only decreases emissions by 80% still leaving you greatly larger pollution out the tail pipe compared to everyone else. Plus can you imagine the resale value on these auto's, talk about cheap and dirty.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We  Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook