I just bought a cam

I just ordered a cam for my 98 Grand Prix, it is supposed to add 40-55hp. I should be getting it in about a week, but wont be able to install it yet, because I'm also going to be buying an intercooler and want to install them both at the same time. I also have to wait until I get the cam install kit. I'll try to take some pictures during the installation. After the cam, intercooler, and 3.0 pulley, I should be close to 370hp. I can't wait :)

Edited to add pictures

Posted Image

Edited by CaddyXLR-V

370HP!?!? What else have you done? :blink::D

Headers? Intake? Chip?

The cam adds up to 55HP? I guess it depends on which one, but that seems like a lot. I really have no idea how much my cam adds because it was on there when I got it, but I read they normally add 30-35HP.

Have you beefed up the tranny to handle all the power? That could be a concern.

I need to get a job so I can mod the GTO, but I wouldn't be able to decide what to do if I did have the money.

I have a reprogrammed pcm from zzperformance.com, they say it:

Speed limiter removed

Raised rev limiter

Raised shift points

3-1 and 4-2 skip shifts

Transmission line pressure increased

185F fan turn on

90 second fan on at key-off (this feature activates when engine coolant is 180 degrees or greater)

MAF calibration is year specific

WOT fueling richen to reduce KR

Removes lag by changing downshift tables

Correct VIN number programmed in

Part throttle KR issue fixed

Torque abuse modes are modified to eliminate bog at launch

Shift KR is remapped for modified vehicles

Power enrichment tables modified for cars running increased boost

P0128 code removed for running drilled or 160 Tstats on newer cars

Torque converter lockup tables modified to improve transmission life and eliminate ‘converter lockup hunting’

I also have a ported throttle body, 3.5 pulley, colder spark plugs, high flow air intake, modified torque converter, upgraded clutches in the tranny when it was rebuilt, and a shift kit. I estimate I am at about 280hp and 320ft/lbs of torque now. I did the 1/4 mile at 14.89 @94 mph.

I still need to buy the 3.0 pulley, intercooler, and have the exhaust done.

Heres the cam I bought: http://zzperformance.com/grand_prix/products1.php?id=117

I bought the 105# spring and modified retainers also, and plan on raising the shift points to 6400rpms.

Edited by CaddyXLR-V

Some more pics of my car

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Here's my cam, and springs, I just got them today.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I ordered the rest of the parts that I will be installing along with the cam, the

intercooler, and a 160 degree thermastat. In a few weeks I will be buying a

3.0 pulley, a rewire kit for my fuel pump for increased fuel pressure, and my

first non-mechanical mod, an aluminum mesh grill. More pics to come soon.

What size cam and springs?

I went with the GT2 and 105 lb springs. And a 180 drilled thermo from ZZP.

.520 intake lift, .536 exhaust lift, 105lb springs, and 160 drilled themostat. I got the smaller intercooler(1 inch core instead of 2.25 inch core) due to price, and for easier installation.

When all is done, I'll be $1400 poorer, and will have added close to 100hp to my car. Shorly after, I will get it dynoed, then take it to the dragstrip. I'm hoping for mid-low 13s.

damn that thing'll be a sleeper when its done. keep the stock look and just focus on engine upgrades! you'll be eating up stangs left and right with that! :lol:

Edited by Fijian

Wasn't me, I'm in Arizona. I've seen a few that look exactly like mine, since all of the pace car replicas are the same color, and all coupes. So there should be 1499 other Grand Prixs out there that look the same. I'm planning on painting it midnight blue though, because I don't like how mine looks green under certain lights.

• 4 weeks later...

Update:

Everything has been installed, though it doesn't feel much faster. I may need to buy a reprogramming kit for my PCM so I can tune it with my laptop. I also bought this TAC

because it seems like that is what my car is doing. If I get the reprogramming kit I am going to take it to get it tuned on a dyno. I'll post the dyno sheets when it's done if anyone wants to see them.

I'd like to see the dyno.

Will do. I just bought the powertuner to reprogram my PCM, so as soon as I get it in the mail I'll be getting it tuned and dynoed. If I lived in Michigan I would just go pick up everything I need. All 3 companies I buy parts from are there.

Will do. I just bought the powertuner to reprogram my PCM, so as soon as I get it in the mail I'll be getting it tuned and dynoed. If I lived in Michigan I would just go pick up everything I need. All 3 companies I buy parts from are there.

but then you'd be paying tax on the parts too... just wanted to say that, ah, interstate commerce!