• Welcome Guest!

Founded in 2001, CheersandGears.com is one of the oldest continuously running automotive enthusiast communities on the net. 

William Maley

Quick Drive: 2016 Toyota 4Runner Trail Premium

It has been a couple of years since we last checked out the Toyota 4Runner. Since that time, the crossover marketplace has grown even further and becoming the clear choice for many consumers. But there are still some who want/need the capability of an SUV like the 4Runner. Who should consider it?

• Toyota hasn’t changed the 4Runner’s exterior since we last checked it out. This isn’t a bad thing since one of the things I liked about it was the styling. The front end still looks like it is wearing a muzzle with a large surround for the grille and chunky front bumper. Other design details to take in are a set of flared out wheel arches, hood scoop, and rear tailgate with a window that can be raised or lowered.
  • The interior follows the exterior with no real changes. Many materials are of the hard plastic variety which is ok considering the off-road character of the 4Runner. Having materials that can stand up to rough and tumble of off-road conditions isn’t a bad thing. The chunky knobs and simple layout of the dashboard are still here, making it easy to find certain controls when on the move.
  • It would be nice if Toyota could swap the 6.1-inch touchscreen for something a little bit larger. It isn’t as easy to read at a glance and more often than not, you’ll be hitting the wrong touchscreen button. At least the Entune infotainment system is simple to understand.
  • Space is plentiful for passengers in both rows with an abundance of head and legroom. There is the option of a third row, but it would be wise to skip it since it isn’t comfortable for most people to due to the minuscule amount of legroom.
  • The powertrain remains a 4.0L V6 with 270 horsepower and 278 pound-feet of torque, and a five-speed automatic transmission. Most trims will have the choice of either two-wheel or four-wheel drive. The TRD Pro and Trail (the model seen here) only come with four-wheel drive.
  • The power figures may make you believe that the 4Runner has enough grunt for the daily grind, but it falters once you take it out on the road. Around town, the V6 provides a decent amount of grunt. But where the engine falters is trying to make a pass or merging onto a freeway. It seems to make more noise than actual power in these situations. The automatic transmission provides smooth gear changes. But adding an extra gear would not be a bad thing since would drop engine rpm on the expressway and improve overall fuel economy. I got an average of 19 mpg for the week - EPA fuel economy figures stand at 17 City/21 Highway/18 Combined for 4WD models.
  • SUVs have made progress in terms of ride and handling, but you wouldn’t know that if you were driving a Toyota 4Runner. Take for example the ride quality. At low speeds, the 4Runner’s suspension does a good job with smoothing over bumpers. At higher speeds such as driving on a freeway, the ride becomes very bouncy. Going around a corner isn’t a pleasant experience as there is a fair amount of body lean. Steering is on the heavy and makes certain tasks such as pulling into a parking space a bit of a chore.
  • But the 4Runner does redeem itself when it comes to off-road driving. Sadly, we didn’t get the chance to take this 4Runner off-road which is quite a shame because the Trail adds some goodies to help when it comes to going off the beaten path. There is a locking rear differential, Crawl Control which is a low-speed cruise control system to allow the SUV go through a rocky trail, Multi-Terrain Select that alters throttle and traction control settings for various conditions, and the Kinetic Dynamic Suspension System that adjusts the suspension to allow for more wheel travel.
  • The Toyota 4Runner is an old-school SUV wrapped up in modern clothing. It makes no apologies for what it is and that is something I respect. This is a model that should be considered by those who want to go to special place in the woods or out in the desert on a regular basis.
  • If you’re not planning to go off-road on a regular basis, then the 4Runner is a poor choice. Stick with a crossover or something like a Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Disclaimer: Toyota Provided the 4Runner, Insurance, and One Tank of Gas

Year: 2016
Make: Toyota
Model: 4Runner
Trim: Trail Premium
Engine: 4.0L DOHC Dual VVT-i 24-Valve V6
Driveline: Six-Speed Automatic, 4WD
Horsepower @ RPM: 270 @ 5,600
Torque @ RPM: 278 @ 4,400
Fuel Economy: City/Highway/Combined - 17/21/18
Curb Weight: 4,750 lbs
Location of Manufacture: Tahara, Aichi, Japan
Base Price: $39,095
As Tested Price: $40,148 (Includes $900.00 Destination Charge and $750.00 'Keep it Wild' savings)

Options:
Remote Engine Start - $499.00
All Weather Mats/Cargo Tray - $200.00
Cargo Cover - $155.00
Cargo Net - $49.00

View full article

I can vouch that these are immensely capable off road. But they really need more aggressive tires to shine. The stock Dunlops rather suck.

Performance and dynamics inhibiting they may be, some people like the more truck-like feel of the 4Runner. That tall-sitting, upright window, clear visibility layout is something lacking in most CUV's on the market. Besides that, these have legendary reliability and resale vale. There are advantages this vehicle enjoys over the Grand Cherokee besides just off-road ability.

Solid write-up, though. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Frisky Dingo said:

I can vouch that these are immensely capable off road. But they really need more aggressive tires to shine. The stock Dunlops rather suck.

Performance and dynamics inhibiting they may be, some people like the more truck-like feel of the 4Runner. That tall-sitting, upright window, clear visibility layout is something lacking in most CUV's on the market. Besides that, these have legendary reliability and resale vale. There are advantages this vehicle enjoys over the Grand Cherokee besides just off-road ability.

Solid write-up, though. 

It is a highly under rated vehicle.

Just now, A Horse With No Name said:

It is a highly under rated vehicle.

They are NOT for everyone. No disputing that.

But if you're the outdoors type that wants rugged and dependable transportation that will stand up to years of abuse and still have a strong demand for it after 200,000 miles, this vehicle has no equal. Niche market it may be, it's one that needs filling.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Frisky Dingo said:

They are NOT for everyone. No disputing that.

But if you're the outdoors type that wants rugged and dependable transportation that will stand up to years of abuse and still have a strong demand for it after 200,000 miles, this vehicle has no equal. Niche market it may be, it's one that needs filling.

It belongs on a list of vehicles that are pretty much above everything else in their class, like the Fiesta ST, WRX, Raptor, Ford GT, Ferrari 458 Italia, et al....we ought to start a list like that in the lounge....

And yes to your tires comment...which is why I previously commented about tires on your older one...

1 hour ago, A Horse With No Name said:

It belongs on a list of vehicles that are pretty much above everything else in their class, like the Fiesta ST, WRX, Raptor, Ford GT, Ferrari 458 Italia, et al....we ought to start a list like that in the lounge....

And yes to your tires comment...which is why I previously commented about tires on your older one...

Go for it. I love when others make threads for ME to participate in on occasion, lol.

8 hours ago, Suaviloquent said:

WRX? Whut aboot Focus RS/Golf R?

I would say the Focus RS ranks up there with the WRX, but the WRX has a longer competition history.

Dearly love the Golf R, thinking of buying one to replace the Jetta actually...but it really needs a little bit more aggressive styling.  There is a little bit too much base Golf in the DNA there for my tastes.

But damn, I really still love that car!

17 hours ago, Frisky Dingo said:

Go for it. I love when others make threads for ME to participate in on occasion, lol.

I have a few coming....I did not want to steal too much thunder from your dream car garage threads. Not sure how to creatively answer the last two, as we seem to keep picking the same vehicles over and over.

2 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

I would say the Focus RS ranks up there with the WRX, but the WRX has a longer competition history.

Dearly love the Golf R, thinking of buying one to replace the Jetta actually...but it really needs a little bit more aggressive styling.  There is a little bit too much base Golf in the DNA there for my tastes.

But damn, I really still love that car!

I have a few coming....I did not want to steal too much thunder from your dream car garage threads. Not sure how to creatively answer the last two, as we seem to keep picking the same vehicles over and over.

My 300hp range list is going to have some uncommon picks.

I answer them the best I can. If the choices may seem cliche, or match someone else's picks, so be it. I think that's part of the fun- seeing which cars are unanimously popular.

Edited by Frisky Dingo

23 minutes ago, Frisky Dingo said:

My 300hp range list is going to have some uncommon picks.

I answer them the best I can. If the choices may seem cliche, or match someone else's picks, so be it. I think that's part of the fun- seeing which cars are unanimously popular.

Not a problem, I may re do my list....I really am enjoying this series of threads!

If I'm in line with 4 other guys and someone is handing out dream cars, I won't turn down a McLaren F1 just because the other guys chose one, too. :AH-HA:

Just now, Frisky Dingo said:

If I'm in line with 4 other guys and someone is handing out dream cars, I won't turn down a McLaren F1 just because the other guys chose one, too. :AH-HA:

I just find that you all have a lot of creative ideas in terms of cars...hence the new DCG thread I posted....

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Today's Birthdays

No users celebrating today.
  • Similar Content

• By dfelt
      Subaru trademarks "Evoltis" for First Hybrid
      Subarus has filed with the US Patent and Trademark office for the auto name Evoltis. This will be their first Hybrid based on the Toyota Prius powertrain. Many are hoping that unlike Toyota, Subaru will do their due diligence to build it as an AWD auto.
      Autoblog story
    • By William Maley
      I couldn’t believe my eyes as to what stood before me. In the driveway stood an Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio. I had to touch it to see if I was imagining it. Okay, I am being a bit hyperbolic, but considering the long time it took Alfa Romeo to get its affairs in some semblance of order, it is amazing that the Giulia is on sale.

Still, I had a bit of trepidation with spending a week in the Giulia Quadrifoglio. The past year has seen a number of outlets reporting various gremlins pop up on their test vehicles. Would my particular one be spared? If so, what does the Giulia Quadrifoglio offer over the competition?
      Alfa Romeo is known for styling vehicles that stand out and Giulia Quadrifoglio is no exception. Up front resides the traditional Alfa triangle grille and large openings in the bumper with mesh inserts. The carbon fiber hood features gentle sculpting and a set of air vents in the channels. The side profile features more of the gentle sculpting on the doors, along with carbon fiber side skirts and 19-inch wheels finished in dark gray. The rear is where the Giulia Quadrifoglio makes its intentions known to the world with a carbon fiber lip spoiler and massive rear diffuser with large exhaust pipes sitting on either end. Finishing off the vehicle are cloverleaf badges on the front fenders and a dark blue finish. 
      At first glance, the Giulia’s interior looks elegant. The dash has a flowing wave shape that is higher on the driver’s side to make space for the instrument cluster and infotainment system. Material choices such soft-touch plastics, carbon fiber accent trim, and a small-rimmed steering wheel with Alcantara and carbon fiber help set the Quadrifoglio apart from other Giulia models. But Alfa Romeo earns some red marks as the center console is littered with cheap plastics - the controller for the infotainment system and gear lever being the key offenders.
      Our test Giulia Quadrifoglio came with the standard leather and Alcantara sport seats. A set of carbon fiber Sparco racing seats are available as an option, but it is one we would recommend trying out first. Sitting in a Quadrifoglio with the optional seats, I found that I could not fully settle into them due to my wide shoulder blades. The standard seats offer increased bolstering to hold you and a passenger when the road gets twisty. I would like to see a little bit more cushioning in the seats as it becomes somewhat uncomfortable the longer you sit in them. The back seat in Giulia is average for the class, offering a decent amount of head and legroom for those under six-feet. Getting in and out of the back seat is not easy due to a narrow opening.
      All Giulia Quadrifoglios come equipped with an 8.8-inch infotainment system. Controlling this is a rotary knob in the center console, along with using voice commands. The system itself is very frustrating for a number of reasons. For one, the system is slow when put against competitors. It takes a few moments to switch between various menus. Also, certain functions don’t work as you might expect. For example, turning the knob in the navigation system doesn’t zoom in or out. You have to scroll the navigation menu to find the Zoom command to allow this function. Other issues I experienced during my week-long test of the Giulia included,:
      The system wouldn’t play my iPod if I had it paused for more than minute or if I switched to another audio source and then back to the iPod. Connecting my iPhone 7 Plus to the system via Bluetooth took on average about 45 seconds. I had the system crash on me twice during the week I had the Giulia. One of those crashes required me to turn off the vehicle and start it back up to get the system working again. Alfa Romeo needs to go back to the garage and do some serious work with this infotainment system.
      Underneath the carbon fiber hood lies the beating heart of the Quadrifoglio, a 2.9L twin-turbo V6 with 505 horsepower and 443 pound-feet of torque. Drive is sent to the rear-wheels via an eight-speed automatic transmission. Quadrifoglio models have four drive modes - Race, Dynamic, Natural, and Advanced Efficiency and each one alters the engine’s behavior. Advanced Efficiency and Natural are about the same with the throttle being a bit more laid back. But that isn’t to say the Giulia isn’t quick in either mode. It has more than enough oomph to leave other cars in the dust when leaving a stop light or merging. But the engine really comes alive when in Dynamic or Race. The throttle sharpens up and the exhaust opens up to deliver a tantalizing soundtrack. Mash the pedal and hold on because this engine will throw you back. The engine sings at mid and high-rpms with speed coming on at an astonishing rate. Alfa says the Quadrifoglio can hit 60 mph in 3.8 seconds and I can say they are right on the money.
      The automatic transmission is quite impressive. In Normal and Advanced Efficiency, the transmission delivers smooth gear changes. Turn to Dynamic or Race and the gear changes are snappy and fast. Oddly, the automatic transmission exhibits some hesitation when leaving a stop. This is a problem more attune with dual-clutch transmissions.
      EPA fuel economy figures for the Giulia Quadrifoglio are 17 City/24 Highway/20 Combined. My average for the week landed at 19.7 mpg.
      Handling is where the Giulia Quadrifoglio truly shines. Enter into a corner and Giulia hunkers down with little body roll and gives you the confidence to push a little bit further. Steering is another highlight, offering quick response and decent weight. The only complaint I have with the steering is that I wished for some road feel.
      There is a trade-off to Giulia’s handling and that is a very stiff ride. Even with the vehicle set in Advanced Efficiency or Natural mode, the suspension will transmit every road imperfection to your backside. Wind and road noise isolation is about average for the class.
      It is time to address the elephant in the room and that is Alfa Romeo’s reliability record. Since the Giulia went on sale last year, numerous outlets have reported various issues from a sunroof jamming to a vehicle going into a limp mode after half a lap on a track. The only real issues I experienced during my week dealt with infotainment system which made me breathe a sigh of relief. Still, the dark cloud of reliability hung over the Giulia and I never felt fully comfortable that some show-stopping issue would happen. This is something Alfa Romeo needs to remedy ASAP.
       Now we come to end of the Giulia Quadrifoglio review and I am quite mixed. Considering the overall package, the Quadrifoglio is not for everyone. No, it isn’t just because of reliability. This vehicle is a pure sports car in a sedan wrapper. It will put a big smile on your face every time you get on the throttle or execute that perfect turn around a corner. But it will not coddle you or your passengers during the daily drive. Add in the material quality issues and concerns about reliability, and you have a mixed bag.
      To some, that is the charm of an Alfa Romeo. Within all of those flaws is a brilliant automobile. For others, it is something that should be avoided at all costs.
      Disclaimer: Alfa Romeo Provided the Giulia, Insurance, and One Tank of Gas
      Year: 2017
      Make: Alfa Romeo
      Model: Giulia
      Trim: Quadrifoglio
      Engine: 2.9L 24-Valve DOHC Twin-Turbo V6
      Driveline: Eight-Speed Automatic, Rear-Wheel Drive
      Horsepower @ RPM: 505 @ 6,500
      Torque @ RPM: 443 @ 2,500 - 5,500
      Fuel Economy: City/Highway/Combined - 17/24/20
      Curb Weight: N/A
      Location of Manufacture: Cassino, Italy
      Base Price: $72,000
      As Tested Price: $76,995 (Includes $1,595.00 Destination Charge)
      Options:
      Driver Assist Dynamic Plus Package - $1,500.00
      Harman Kardon Premium Audio System - $900.00
      Montecarlo Blue Metallic Exterior Paint - $600.00
      Quadrifoglio Carbon Fiber Steering Wheel - $400.00

View full article
    • By William Maley
      I couldn’t believe my eyes as to what stood before me. In the driveway stood an Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio. I had to touch it to see if I was imagining it. Okay, I am being a bit hyperbolic, but considering the long time it took Alfa Romeo to get its affairs in some semblance of order, it is amazing that the Giulia is on sale.

Still, I had a bit of trepidation with spending a week in the Giulia Quadrifoglio. The past year has seen a number of outlets reporting various gremlins pop up on their test vehicles. Would my particular one be spared? If so, what does the Giulia Quadrifoglio offer over the competition?
      Alfa Romeo is known for styling vehicles that stand out and Giulia Quadrifoglio is no exception. Up front resides the traditional Alfa triangle grille and large openings in the bumper with mesh inserts. The carbon fiber hood features gentle sculpting and a set of air vents in the channels. The side profile features more of the gentle sculpting on the doors, along with carbon fiber side skirts and 19-inch wheels finished in dark gray. The rear is where the Giulia Quadrifoglio makes its intentions known to the world with a carbon fiber lip spoiler and massive rear diffuser with large exhaust pipes sitting on either end. Finishing off the vehicle are cloverleaf badges on the front fenders and a dark blue finish. 
      At first glance, the Giulia’s interior looks elegant. The dash has a flowing wave shape that is higher on the driver’s side to make space for the instrument cluster and infotainment system. Material choices such soft-touch plastics, carbon fiber accent trim, and a small-rimmed steering wheel with Alcantara and carbon fiber help set the Quadrifoglio apart from other Giulia models. But Alfa Romeo earns some red marks as the center console is littered with cheap plastics - the controller for the infotainment system and gear lever being the key offenders.
      Our test Giulia Quadrifoglio came with the standard leather and Alcantara sport seats. A set of carbon fiber Sparco racing seats are available as an option, but it is one we would recommend trying out first. Sitting in a Quadrifoglio with the optional seats, I found that I could not fully settle into them due to my wide shoulder blades. The standard seats offer increased bolstering to hold you and a passenger when the road gets twisty. I would like to see a little bit more cushioning in the seats as it becomes somewhat uncomfortable the longer you sit in them. The back seat in Giulia is average for the class, offering a decent amount of head and legroom for those under six-feet. Getting in and out of the back seat is not easy due to a narrow opening.
      All Giulia Quadrifoglios come equipped with an 8.8-inch infotainment system. Controlling this is a rotary knob in the center console, along with using voice commands. The system itself is very frustrating for a number of reasons. For one, the system is slow when put against competitors. It takes a few moments to switch between various menus. Also, certain functions don’t work as you might expect. For example, turning the knob in the navigation system doesn’t zoom in or out. You have to scroll the navigation menu to find the Zoom command to allow this function. Other issues I experienced during my week-long test of the Giulia included,:
      The system wouldn’t play my iPod if I had it paused for more than minute or if I switched to another audio source and then back to the iPod. Connecting my iPhone 7 Plus to the system via Bluetooth took on average about 45 seconds. I had the system crash on me twice during the week I had the Giulia. One of those crashes required me to turn off the vehicle and start it back up to get the system working again. Alfa Romeo needs to go back to the garage and do some serious work with this infotainment system.
      Underneath the carbon fiber hood lies the beating heart of the Quadrifoglio, a 2.9L twin-turbo V6 with 505 horsepower and 443 pound-feet of torque. Drive is sent to the rear-wheels via an eight-speed automatic transmission. Quadrifoglio models have four drive modes - Race, Dynamic, Natural, and Advanced Efficiency and each one alters the engine’s behavior. Advanced Efficiency and Natural are about the same with the throttle being a bit more laid back. But that isn’t to say the Giulia isn’t quick in either mode. It has more than enough oomph to leave other cars in the dust when leaving a stop light or merging. But the engine really comes alive when in Dynamic or Race. The throttle sharpens up and the exhaust opens up to deliver a tantalizing soundtrack. Mash the pedal and hold on because this engine will throw you back. The engine sings at mid and high-rpms with speed coming on at an astonishing rate. Alfa says the Quadrifoglio can hit 60 mph in 3.8 seconds and I can say they are right on the money.
      The automatic transmission is quite impressive. In Normal and Advanced Efficiency, the transmission delivers smooth gear changes. Turn to Dynamic or Race and the gear changes are snappy and fast. Oddly, the automatic transmission exhibits some hesitation when leaving a stop. This is a problem more attune with dual-clutch transmissions.
      EPA fuel economy figures for the Giulia Quadrifoglio are 17 City/24 Highway/20 Combined. My average for the week landed at 19.7 mpg.
      Handling is where the Giulia Quadrifoglio truly shines. Enter into a corner and Giulia hunkers down with little body roll and gives you the confidence to push a little bit further. Steering is another highlight, offering quick response and decent weight. The only complaint I have with the steering is that I wished for some road feel.
      There is a trade-off to Giulia’s handling and that is a very stiff ride. Even with the vehicle set in Advanced Efficiency or Natural mode, the suspension will transmit every road imperfection to your backside. Wind and road noise isolation is about average for the class.
      It is time to address the elephant in the room and that is Alfa Romeo’s reliability record. Since the Giulia went on sale last year, numerous outlets have reported various issues from a sunroof jamming to a vehicle going into a limp mode after half a lap on a track. The only real issues I experienced during my week dealt with infotainment system which made me breathe a sigh of relief. Still, the dark cloud of reliability hung over the Giulia and I never felt fully comfortable that some show-stopping issue would happen. This is something Alfa Romeo needs to remedy ASAP.
       Now we come to end of the Giulia Quadrifoglio review and I am quite mixed. Considering the overall package, the Quadrifoglio is not for everyone. No, it isn’t just because of reliability. This vehicle is a pure sports car in a sedan wrapper. It will put a big smile on your face every time you get on the throttle or execute that perfect turn around a corner. But it will not coddle you or your passengers during the daily drive. Add in the material quality issues and concerns about reliability, and you have a mixed bag.
      To some, that is the charm of an Alfa Romeo. Within all of those flaws is a brilliant automobile. For others, it is something that should be avoided at all costs.
      Disclaimer: Alfa Romeo Provided the Giulia, Insurance, and One Tank of Gas
      Year: 2017
      Make: Alfa Romeo
      Model: Giulia
      Trim: Quadrifoglio
      Engine: 2.9L 24-Valve DOHC Twin-Turbo V6
      Driveline: Eight-Speed Automatic, Rear-Wheel Drive
      Horsepower @ RPM: 505 @ 6,500
      Torque @ RPM: 443 @ 2,500 - 5,500
      Fuel Economy: City/Highway/Combined - 17/24/20
      Curb Weight: N/A
      Location of Manufacture: Cassino, Italy
      Base Price: $72,000
      As Tested Price: $76,995 (Includes $1,595.00 Destination Charge)
      Options:
      Driver Assist Dynamic Plus Package - $1,500.00
      Harman Kardon Premium Audio System - $900.00
      Montecarlo Blue Metallic Exterior Paint - $600.00
      Quadrifoglio Carbon Fiber Steering Wheel - $400.00
    • By William Maley
      Toyota Motor North America Reports March 2018, First Quarter Sales
      Toyota division had its best first-quarter in 10 years Best-ever March sales for light truck, RAV4, Highlander Lexus luxury utility vehicles (LUVS) mark best-ever first quarter PLANO, Texas, April 3, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- Toyota Motor North America (TMNA) today reported March 2018 sales of 222,782 vehicles, an increase of 3.5 percent from March 2017 on a volume basis. With one more selling day in March 2018 compared to March 2017, sales were down 0.2 percent on a daily selling rate (DSR) basis. 
      Toyota division posted March sales of 195,750 units, up 4.5 percent on a volume basis and up 0.8 percent on a DSR basis. For the first quarter, Toyota posted sales of 572,033 units, up 7.4 percent on a volume basis and up 4.6 percent on a DSR basis.
      "Strong Camry sales in March, combined with continuing record light truck results, paved the way to our best first-quarter in 10 years," said Jack Hollis, group vice president and general manager, Toyota Division.  "With the all-new Avalon and Corolla Hatchback on sale this spring, we're heading into the second quarter with confidence that our sales momentum will continue."
      Lexus posted March sales of 27,032 vehicles, down 3.2 percent on a volume basis and down 6.7 percent on a DSR basis. For the first quarter, Lexus posted sales of 64,211 units, up 3.8 percent on a volume basis and up 1.1 percent on a DSR basis.
      "Lexus turned in a solid first quarter with a nearly 4.0 percent sales increase year-over-year," said Jeff Bracken, group vice president and general manager, Lexus division. "Our success was fueled by strong demand for our LUVs, like the compact NX and new three-row RXL, combined with the launch of our new flagship LS sedan. And with even more products on the way, like the all-new UX that we just launched in New York, Lexus has great momentum heading into the rest of 2018."
      March 2018 Highlights  
      TMNA, Toyota and Lexus divisions, posted best-ever March and first quarter light truck sales Toyota division posted quarterly sales of more than 507,000, its best first quarter in 10 years Toyota division SUVs up 17.5 percent with 74,662 units sold Camry posted sales of 35,264, outselling top-performing RAV4 RAV4 posted sales of 34,937 units, a best-ever month and first-quarter Highlander posted sales of 21,438 units, a best-ever March and first-quarter Toyota division pickups increased 18.6 percent Tacoma sales up 21.1 percent with 20,250 units sold Tundra posted sales of 10,697 units, up 14.3 percent Lexus division LUVs up 2.1 percent, a best-ever March NX Hybrid up 156.8 percent in March, a best-ever March RX posted monthly sales of 9,814 units LX sales up 3.1 percent Lexus LS posted sales of 1,008 units, up 172.4 percent *Note: Unless otherwise stated, all figures reflect unadjusted raw sales volume
      TOYOTA  U.S. SALES SUMMARY
      MARCH 2018
        -- CURRENT MONTH --
      -- CALENDAR YEAR TO DATE --     
      DSR %
      VOL %
      DSR %
      VOL %
      TOTAL TOYOTA
      TOTAL TOYOTA DIV
      TOTAL LEXUS
                        YARIS IA (INCL SCI IA)
      YARIS LIFTBACK
      TOTAL YARIS
      iQ
      xD
      xB
      tC
      COROLLA IM (INCL SCI IM)
      COROLLA SEDAN
      TOTAL COROLLA
      86 (INCL FR-S)
      MIRAI
      AVALON
      PRIUS
      CAMRY
      TOTAL TOYOTA DIV. CAR
                        CT
      IS
      RC
      ES
      GS
      LS
      LC
      LFA
      TOTAL LEXUS CAR
      TOTAL TOYOTA CAR
                        SIENNA
      C-HR
      RAV4
      FJ CRUISER
      VENZA
      HIGHLANDER
      4RUNNER
      SEQUOIA
      LAND CRUISER
      TOTAL TOYOTA DIV. SUV
                        TACOMA
      TUNDRA
      TOTAL TOYOTA DIV. PICKUP
      TOTAL TOYOTA DIV. TRUCK
                        NX
      RX
      GX
      LX
      TOTAL LEXUS TRUCK
      TOTAL TOYOTA TRUCK
      Selling Days
          DSR = Daily Selling Rate
                          *NA Built Vehicles 
      TOYOTA  U.S. SALES SUMMARY 
      MARCH, 2018
        -- CURRENT MONTH --
      -- CALENDAR YEAR TO DATE --
      DSR %
      VOL %
      DSR %
      VOL %
      COROLLA
      CAMRY
      AVALON
      YARIS IA (INCL SCI IA)
      RAV4
      VENZA
      HIGHLANDER
      SIENNA
      SEQUOIA
      TACOMA
      TUNDRA
      ES
      RX
                        TOTAL
      N.A VEHICLES % OF TOTAL
      70.4%
      72.8%
          70.4%
      72.3%
                            TOYOTA DIV. IMPORT CAR
      LEXUS IMPORT CAR
      TOYOTA DIV NA BUILT CARS
      LEXUS NA BUILT CARS
      TOTAL TOYOTA CARS
                        TOYOTA DIV. IMPORT TRUCK
      LEXUS IMPORT TRUCK
      TOYOTA DIV NA BUILT TRUCK
      LEXUS NA BUILT TRUCK
      TOTAL TOYOTA TRUCK
                        Selling Days
          DSR = Daily Selling Rate

• By William Maley
      Here is something to consider: Last year, Toyota sold more than 400,000 RAV4s in the U.S. Impressive to say in the least as that model was nearing the end of its lifecycle. But the impressive sales number leaves Toyota in a tough spot when it comes to redesigning. Do they play it safe to continue the upward trend in sales or take a chance? With the 2019 RAV4, Toyota went with the latter option.
      We were expecting elements of the FT-AC shown at last year's LA Auto Show to appear on the RAV4. We weren't expecting Toyota to take the FT-AC and make into the new RAV4. The chunky, boxy look of the concept has made it into production. The Adventure model looks very SUV-like with a grille similar to the Tacoma, body cladding, and large roof rails. Overall length drops by 0.2-inches to 180.9, while overall wheelbase increases by 1.2-inches.
      Toyota has cleaned up the RAV4's interior to make it a bit more harmonious. The new look is very upscale and features a revamped center stack. A choice of a 7- or 8-inch touchscreen houses the latest version of Toyota's Entune featuring Apple CarPlay integration - those with Android phones are still out of luck. Optional equipment includes Qi wireless charging and an 800-Watt JBL audio system.
      Two powertrains will be on offer for the 2018 RAV4 - a 2.5L four-cylinder paired with an eight-speed automatic and a hybrid powertrain paired with a CVT. No power figures were given on either powertrain. Three AWD systems will be available including their AWD-i system for hybrid models and one that will offer torque vectoring and the ability to disconnect the rear axle to improve fuel economy.
      The 2019 RAV4 arrives at dealers in December, with the hybrid following in February.
      Source: Toyota
      Press Release is on Page 2

All-New 2019 Toyota RAV4 Serves Up a Breakthrough Debut at New York International Auto Show
      All-New Robust Design and Unparalleled Driving Experience 2.5L Inline-4 and Toyota Hybrid System Powertrains Offering More Power and MPG TNGA K Platform with Multi-Link Rear Suspension Standard Toyota Safety Sense 2.0 (TSS 2.0) Debut of All-New Sporty Hybrid Grade, XSE Hybrid Standard Entune 3.0 with Wi-Fi Connect powered by Verizon, Amazon Alexa, and Apple CarPlay Compatibility True Off-Road Capabilities with Available Multi-Terrain Select and an Available Toyota-First, Dynamic Torque Vectoring All-Wheel Drive with Rear Driveline Disconnect NEW YORK, March 28, 2018 – All the stops have been pulled for the world debut of the all-new 2019 Toyota RAV4. The vehicle that created the small sport utility vehicle (SUV) segment makes its fifth-generation debut at the New York International Auto Show.

Over the years, Toyota has listened to owners and dealers and it has paid off. Over the last five years, RAV4 volume has doubled, which speaks profoundly to the segment’s attractiveness and growth, and ultimately, RAV4’s popularity. RAV4 currently ranks as the number-one-selling vehicle in the Toyota lineup, as well as the best-selling non-pickup-truck in the country.
      No matter the grade, every RAV4 is a winning choice, whether it’s for a city exploration, a weekend trip to the countryside, or a jaunt on the trails. When it becomes available in the winter at the end of 2018 (with hybrid models right behind in early 2019), we predict that the all-new RAV4 will premiere, yet again, at the forefront—both for the Toyota brand and the segment.

Get Up and Go!
      For the all-new RAV4, designers kept in mind design elements of Adventure and Refined to allow owners to get up and go in their RAV4, no matter the time or place. An emphasis was placed on maximizing the presence of a small SUV while maintaining high levels of finesse inside and out.

Each body panel has a sophisticated twist to it, with a chiseled appearance that is a perfect combination of athleticism and charisma. The stronger nose leads into a more dynamic profile, robust shoulders, and available 19-inch wheels, making for a powerful stance ready to tackle any road, any time.

The implementation of the TNGA platform allows RAV4 to adopt the charisma of a bolder and tougher SUV, but in a package that is lower and wider. The longer wheelbase and wider front and rear tracks provide a stable, confident driving platform. For off-road prowess, the shorter front and rear overhangs will aid in RAV4’s ability to overcome rugged terrain.

The unibody chassis is 57 percent more rigid than the outgoing version. RAV4 incorporates an optimally tuned multi-link rear suspension, providing ideal damping for handling, minimum interior cabin noise, and the utmost ride comfort. Ground clearance has been increased by more than half an inch, yet RAV4 is able to achieve improved aerodynamics.

The relocated side mirrors are now positioned lower on the door for increased forward visibility around the A-pillar. Side visibility is increased thanks to a lowered beltline and the redesigned and enlarged rear-quarter glass assists with rear-diagonal visibility.
      2019 RAV4 LIMITED PRELIMINARY EXTERIOR DIMENSIONS (vs. 2018) [difference] Wheelbase 105.9 in. (104.7 in.) [+1.2 in.] Overall Length 180.9 in. (181.1 in.) [-0.2 in.] Overall Width 73 in. (72.6 in.) [+0.4 in.] Overall Height 66.9 in. (67.1 in. *with roof rail) [-0.2 in.] Unparalleled Driving Experience with More Power, MPG and Capabilities
      Engineers worked for about four years to fine-tune every aspect of RAV4’s performance, handling stability and ride comfort. The end goal was simple: engineer a driving experience that is Confident and Natural.

This unmatched performance was realized thanks to a group of takumi—highly-trained master craftsmen—who strived to develop a vehicle that acts and reacts as the driver intends, even in extreme weather and road conditions. Including the takumi in the development process was just another layer of enhancement to the overall design approach led by the Toyota New Global Architecture (TNGA) philosophy. These master craftsmen focused on working together to improve vehicle performance at various stages of the development process to deliver an ever-better RAV4.

The power source for RAV4’s driving abilities comes from one of two powertrains:
      Dynamic Force 2.5-liter inline-four-cylinder engine with VVT-iE mated to an 8-speed Direct-Shift Automatic Transmission, which motivates the five gas models Dynamic Force 2.5-liter inline-four-cylinder Toyota Hybrid System II (THS II) engine with Electronically-Controlled Continuously-Variable Transmission (ECVT), which activates the four hybrid models The takumi were precise with the development of RAV4’s structure and configuration to achieve an increase in performance as a whole. The engine utilizes high-speed combustion technology and a variable control system for greater thermal efficiency output, which reduces energy losses associated with exhaust and cooling systems and the movement of mechanical parts, among other factors. With a 40-percent thermal efficiency (41 percent for hybrids), the 2.5-liter 4-cylinder Dynamic Force Engine is the ideal powerplant for the all-new RAV4 to meet the demand of providing a highly responsive, yet fuel efficient driving experience. The Direct Shift-8AT transmission provides direct lock-up from gears two through eight to eliminate power loss from the torque converter, executing ideal smooth shifts.

The Toyota-first, Dynamic Torque Vectoring All-Wheel Drive with Rear Driveline Disconnect, is nothing short of impressive, and enables drivers to steer the vehicle as intended, even atop the toughest of roads.

Standard on AWD-equipped Limited gas and Adventure grade models, Dynamic Torque Vectoring All-Wheel Drive with Rear Driveline Disconnect can send 50 percent of engine torque to the rear wheels, plus distribute it to the left or right rear wheel for improved handling. When AWD isn’t required (on long stretches of highway, for example), RAV4 can achieve better fuel economy thanks to the Rear Driveline Disconnect system. The disconnection features the world’s first ratchet-type dog clutches on both the front and rear wheel shafts. These clutches stop the driveshaft’s rotations, thus transmitting the driving force to the front wheels when AWD isn’t required, significantly reducing energy loss, improving fuel efficiency, and reducing rotational vibration making for a smoother ride.

This all-new AWD system is one of three available on the all-new RAV4; it joins the AWD-i system available on hybrid grades and the (non-Dynamic Torque Vectoring) AWD system available on core gas grades.

When paired with the new All-Wheel Drive with Intelligence (AWD-i), RAV4 Hybrid increases the total torque to the rear wheels—which is electronically driven—by 30 percent compared to the current generation AWD-i system. By adopting a new control system that optimally distributes torque to the rear wheels based on the driving conditions, the new AWD-i system offers high off-road performance, handling, and ability.

RAV4’s unparalleled driving experience is just one of the ways the all-new RAV4 exceeds expectations for owners, the segment, and the industry.

XSE Hybrid: The Sportiest RAV4
      For those who prefer sportier driving dynamics, XSE Hybrid stays ready with the perfect conflation of sport and utility. XSE is an all-new addition to RAV4’s Hybrid family.

The piano-black accents across the front end, mirror caps, fender arches, and lower rockers set the stage for XSE Hybrid’s sporty appeal. Unique to RAV4 Hybrids, projector-beam LED headlamps flank each side of the grille (on XLE and above) for a brighter, sharper, and ideally angled light source.

Standard on all RAV4 Hybrid models, the Toyota Hybrid System II (THS II) works in sync with the 2.5-liter 4-cylinder Dynamic Force Engine for an impressive balance of energy efficiency and supreme power output. Performance-wise, XSE Hybrid is truly the “no compromise” grade thanks to its enhanced power and acceleration. When paired with its sport-tuned suspension having tauter shock absorbers and springs, RAV4 XSE Hybrid takes the throne as the quickest—and best-handling—RAV4 in the lineup.

While driving thrills behind XSE Hybrid’s steering wheel are standard, that’s not all guests get: In any RAV4 Hybrid, drivers can look forward to anticipated class-leading fuel efficiency and increases in horsepower and acceleration, respectively.
      On- and Off-Road Fun
      For explorers looking to satisfy their outdoorsy cravings, RAV4 Adventure has the capabilities for all types of off-road fun.

RAV4 Adventure is distinguishable among the other grades with its standard high-rise roof rails and large over-fenders. Inspired by Toyota’s off-road vehicle heritage, RAV4 Adventure grade has a more rugged exterior, thanks in part to its more aggressive grille, fog light surrounds, and unique wheel design. It answers the call designers had of Robust with its stout stance, standard Dynamic Torque Vectoring All-Wheel Drive with Rear Driveline Disconnect, and a reliable and tough functionality that’s apt for any road.

The fun ratchets up once pavement blends into dirt thanks to Multi-Terrain Select. Standard on all AWD-equipped gas RAV4 models, Multi-Terrain Select gives drivers the ability to maximize traction when driving through snow, mud, sand, or rocks. The system is easy to use thanks to a control dial (or buttons) positioned in the center console to the left of the shift knob.

Two-Tone Magnetism
      RAV4 XSE Hybrid’s striking personality screams sporty, thanks to its standard two-tone exterior paint scheme. The black roof is paired with either Blizzard Pearl, Silver Sky Metallic, Magnetic Gray Metallic, or Blueprint (a new color to the palette). RAV4 XSE Hybrid’s exclusive interior comes mono-spec with black Softex material and blue accents throughout.

RAV4 Adventure grade can be had with an Ice Edge-colored roof that is paired with one of three exterior colors: Midnight Black Metallic or Blue Flame, both of which are new for RAV4; or Lunar Rock, an all-new color to the Toyota lineup that makes its first mission on RAV4. Inside, interior seat finishes come in either black or a grade-exclusive, Mocha-colored Softex, with the latter being a brand-new interior finish in the Toyota lineup. Orange stitching accents the interior with additional orange appointments placed throughout the dashboard.

RAV4 keeps admirers star-struck even when its fitted with additional full-body color options like Super White and Ruby Flare Pearl.

Premium Limited Style
      Blissful weekend retreats are the ideal destination when behind the wheel of RAV4 Limited. As the top grade, drivers and passengers will enjoy amenities and features befitting its premium style. At first glance, RAV4 Limited’s 19-inch alloy wheels and chrome accents set it apart from the other grades. Once inside though, Limited’s essence truly takes the stage.

Standard features include a front-row moonroof and 8-way power-adjustable driver’s seat with memory and 2-way lumbar support. Tech-wise, RAV4 Limited comes standard with a newly-designed 7-inch Multi-Information Display (MID) and, for the first time in a Toyota vehicle in North America, a Digital Display Rearview Mirror. By default, the display is a conventional rearview mirror but with the flip of a switch, drivers have an increased field of vision coming through the rearview mirror, displaying what is behind the vehicle thanks to a high-mounted, adjustable wide-angle, high-definition camera affixed on the rear of vehicle.

Optional content that enhances the ambiance includes ventilated front seats, heated rear seats, and a panoramic moonroof. When the weekend’s gear fills both hands, the available hands-free power liftgate helps considerably by opening with a wave of the foot below the rear bumper.

Elevated Cabin Atmospheres
      Designers applied the theme of Refined to every detail of the interior cabin, resulting in an impressive arrangement that suits a wide variety of driving experiences and preferences. The interior atmosphere represents an elevated sophistication with a premium, modern design and uncomplicated layout.

Between front passengers sits a center console having a repositioned standard Electronic Parking Brake (EPB) for easier accessibility. Ergonomics have been further enhanced by an increase in the console’s volume, side-by-side cup holders, and an open tray capable of holding small items, with optional Qi wireless charger. The in-dash tray within arm’s reach of front passengers will see its share of electronics, sunglasses, and travel must-haves. A standard smooth boot adorns the top of the shifter, and the HVAC knobs in the center panel are redesigned for improved tactility. 

Rear seat passengers will appreciate the spacious back cabin thanks to an increase in left and right couple distance, as well as legroom. The rear cargo area adopts a reversible liner as well as side nets for storing small items and the 60/40 folding rear seats are ready to accommodate essentials like surf boards, suitcases, or camping gear.

Advanced Media with Precise Harmony
      Every RAV4 is equipped with Entune 3.0 multimedia including Wi-Fi Connect powered by Verizon, hands-free access to Amazon Alexa, and Apple CarPlay compatibility.

The standard Entune 3.0 audio system houses a 7-inch touchscreen that is perched atop the center stack. Entune 3.0 Audio Plus adds an eight-inch touchscreen and Sirius XM Radio. Entune 3.0 Premium Audio enhances the multimedia system with embedded dynamic navigation to help drivers chart their course.

Enhancing onboard multimedia features, RAV4 can be had with up to five USB ports between the front and rear rows and an optional Qi wireless charging tray positioned at the front of the center console.

RAV4’s multimedia setup is complemented by an all-new available JBL audio system. The next-generation premium audio setup incorporates an enhanced system architecture, new speaker design, and an improved tuning process. The result is an all-access pass to the most intimate music concert, all from inside a RAV4.

The available JBL audio system provides harmonious audio via 11 speakers across 8 channels at 800 watts:
      Two Horn Tweeters Located in the A-pillar for optimal high-frequency performance HiD8 Amplifier Next-generation amplifier powering the 800 watts Two Wide Dispersion Instrument Panel Speakers Providing greater sound and alert functionality Two Wide Dispersion Front Door Speakers Enhanced sound quality for front passengers Ported Subwoofer with Enclosure More powerful deep-bass response tucked away in the rear quarter Two Full Range Rear Door Speakers Enhanced sound quality for rear passengers Clari-Fi Technology Intelligently adjusts to every audio format to match source quality with the precise level of audio restoration necessary Next Generation of Toyota Safety Sense (TSS)
      Toyota continues to lead the pack when it comes to safety, and the all-new RAV4 provides drivers and passengers with standard safety technologies that help move Toyota one step closer to achieving the ultimate goal of zero casualties from traffic accidents.  

RAV4 comes standard with TSS 2.0, the second generation of Toyota Safety Sense (TSS). The updated safety package adds new active-safety technologies and capabilities that enhance protection.

Breakdowns of each technology are as follows:
      Pre-Collision System with Pedestrian Detection (PCS w/PD): Capability to detect a preceding vehicle or pedestrian in daytime or with better low-light recognition capabilities, or daytime bicyclist (new), and alert the driver (audible and visual warnings) and/or apply brakes to help mitigate or avoid the collision in certain cases (using Forward Collision Warning (FCW), Brake Assist (BA), and Automatic Emergency Braking (AEB)). Full-Speed Range Dynamic Radar Cruise Control (DRCC): For highways/freeways only – an adaptive cruise control that functions at speeds between 0 to 110 mph and enables low-speed speed matching, stopping, and acceleration/deceleration relative to a preceding vehicle traveling at a slower speed. Speed, cut-in, and distance control enhanced, as well as Turn Signal Linked control added, for a more natural response. Lane Departure Alert with Steering Assist (LDA w/SA): Newly added to LDA w/SA is the capability, under some circumstances, to detect the road’s edge, in addition to the pre-existing capability to detect visible lane markers and the vehicle’s position in the lane. If unintentional lane deviation is detected, the system alerts the driver with audible and visual warnings. Steering Assist can provide small corrective steering inputs to help the driver prevent the vehicle from unintentionally leaving its lane. Automatic High Beam (AHB): Capability to automatically activate and deactivate high beams based on driving environment and preceding vehicle’s lights. (NEW) Lane Tracing Assist (LTA): For highways/freeways only and can be enabled when using DRCC – Capability to recognize white or yellow lane markings or the path of a preceding vehicle if lane markers are temporarily unavailable; to identify and actively track the center of the lane by providing steering assistance to the driver (hands-on, driver-assist system). Reduces driver burden and supports safe driving, especially in traffic congestion or long highway trips. The LTA system can be turned on/off. (NEW) Road Sign Assist (RSA): Capability to identify certain Stop, Yield, Do Not Enter and Speed Limit signs and display a warning (visual and audible alerts). Alerts vary based on sign type and are displayed on the Multi-Information Display.  Eight airbags come standard on the 2019 RAV4, and so does Toyota’s Star Safety System, which includes Enhanced Vehicle Stability Control (VSC), Traction Control (TRAC), Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD), Brake Assist (BA), Anti-lock Braking System (ABS), and Smart Stop Technology (SST). Available safety technologies include Blind Spot Monitor (BSM) with Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA), Bird’s Eye View Camera, Intelligent Clearance Sonar (ICS), and Rear Cross Traffic Braking (RCTB) system. RAV4 comes equipped with a standard backup camera and standard Electronic Parking Brake (EPB).
  • My Clubs