Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Michelin X Tweel Tires, Future Tire Today!

David

G. David Felt
Staff Writer Alternative Energy - www.CheersandGears.com

Michelin X Tweel Tires, Future Tire Today!

Michelin for the last 10 plus years has been playing with an airless tire. The goal has been a tire that has no air valves, no more need for air compressors at gas stations or any auto dealership or repair place, no more repair kits and no more flats, ever!

We have seen many presentations by Michelin at auto shows over the years presenting various proto types but for the most part the story has been the same.

MichelinTireDetails.jpg

With this we went through stories about the Military exploring this as a better way to deal with unknowns in the war zone / deployments. Testing is still going on today.

Michelline Military Tires2.jpg

Michelline Military Tires.jpg

There has been many marketing presentations from Michelin showing their testing.

MichelinTireTesting1.jpg

MichelinTireTesting4.jpg

MichelinTireTesting2.jpg

MichelinTireTesting3.jpg

Today Michelin has in the last few months finally went main stream and you now have the official web site.

MICHELIN® X® TWEEL® Airless Radial Tire Web Site

Michelin X Tweel Images on Bing

The web site shows that they have them available for select applications on Tractors, lawn mowers, golf carts, Fork Lifts, ATV's, etc. Auto's are stated to be coming fall 2017. It is really amazing to see and the life of these tires is far longer and totally recyclable. Some very big gains over traditional tires.

What do you think? Is this Awesome Cool Tech or DOA, takes away from the look of the car and what?

Sound Off Peeps!

• Agree 1

This is great and I think is long overdue.

My only concern is when dirt or stones or snow enter between the spokes how it will influence balance of the wheel, might create strong vibrations at highway speeds when they start making them for cars..

1 hour ago, ykX said:

This is great and I think is long overdue.

My only concern is when dirt or stones or snow enter between the spokes how it will influence balance of the wheel, might create strong vibrations at highway speeds when they start making them for cars..

I wonder if they could build this tire and put a side wall on it to keep things out.

55 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

THANX for posting!

Ive always wondered whatever happened to this technology all those years when Michelin first presented it.

Your welcome, it would appear that it is slowly becoming main stream.

Would love to see how these tires stand up on an extreme mountain bike.

2 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

THANX for posting!

Ive always wondered whatever happened to this technology all those years when Michelin first presented it.

I was thinking the same thing. I heard about it years ago and it seemed to just disappear.

Very interesting technology but I feel like I have so many questions.. Are they mounted to our current wheels? Debris getting caught within them? What's the ride even like? Hard? Soft? will they be performance oriented or comfort? Is there any adjustability like there is with tire pressure?

These are old news here in Akron. We used to deal with this years ago before they ever made the news.

There have always been limitations and they did work their way up to the bike and tractor markets but cars will be a tough segment to fill.

You will find that these tires will be much like the run flats where they will do a great job in some applications but will be a problem in others.

I am shocked they never used a light weight version of these for the compact spare as it is best suited for this use. You can make is thin and light. It also would always be inflated as often many spares are flat. The long term use issues are not in play here either. They could own that segment if they were to build these.

Note all the tire companies have had their trick advanced tires over the years and many where offered for sale but so many of them even the good ideas all failed. Too often cost and things they gave up always came in play.

30 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

I was thinking the same thing. I heard about it years ago and it seemed to just disappear.

Very interesting technology but I feel like I have so many questions.. Are they mounted to our current wheels? Debris getting caught within them? What's the ride even like? Hard? Soft? will they be performance oriented or comfort? Is there any adjustability like there is with tire pressure?

The ones we fooled with were tuned to the application. It was still firm and not tunable like a tire with air. What you bought is what you get, No tuning with air.

Dirt and mud or snow was always an issue but I had seen inserts for the side walls that kept it out. Not sure if that is still in play.

The other issue was it replaced the wheel and tire and the cost was very high. Like some of the run flats like Bridgestone used that used a special wheel they add much to the cost.

Even the metric tires Ford used on the Mustang back in the late 70's it failed as there was only 2 tires in America that fit them the TRX and Goodyear Wingfoot. Both were not cheap. To fix it you had to replace the wheels but then you could use cheaper tires.

Cost is a major problem as tires are so expensive now. These still wear out and cost even more in most cases> That is why tractors, lift trucks and bikes are more acceptable cost wise.