Sign in to follow this  
William Maley

VW News: Volkswagen Believes Engine Downsize Trend Is Coming To A Close

Automakers have been downsizing their engines and adding turbochargers to improve fuel economy while retaining power from larger displacement engines. But is there a point where this trend doesn't make sense anymore? Volkswagen believes that time is coming very soon.

"The trend of downsizing is over," said Herbert Diess, Volkswagen's chairman.

"Emissions tend to go up as engines get smaller."

This is due to smaller engines needing to work much harder to produce the power figures of higher displacement engines, which in turns causes more fuel to be used. Currently, small displacement engines do very well in the European fuel economy and emission tests. But the test results have come under intense scrutiny as they don't match up to real-world tests. In a few years, the European Union will introduce new procedures that include tests in the lab and real-world. The new tests could put this trend at a standstill.

Diess said they would continue to offer the turbocharged 1.0L three-cylinder and 1.6L turbodiesel, but wouldn't go any smaller in the future.

Source: The Telegraph

View full article

This has been proven for years now, I see no reason to go smaller than what we have. Electric can do way better than a turbo 3 can.

2 hours ago, dfelt said:

This has been proven for years now, I see no reason to go smaller than what we have. Electric can do way better than a turbo 3 can.

Dude really now.  A petrol turbo 3 is infinitely more practical than electric for FREEDOM.  No one wants to be tied to a cord.

the other bit i will add here while its relevant to tiny engines in this thread.  my tiny turbo 1.5 in my malibu gets stellar gas mileage when the weather is warm and nice.  Takes a much bigger hit to mpg in winter conditions.  I have probably had 20-30% drop most of the time this winter, sometimes more.

16 minutes ago, regfootball said:

the other bit i will add here while its relevant to tiny engines in this thread.  my tiny turbo 1.5 in my malibu gets stellar gas mileage when the weather is warm and nice.  Takes a much bigger hit to mpg in winter conditions.  I have probably had 20-30% drop most of the time this winter, sometimes more.

Same here with my 3.6.  Warm weather gas, I get about 23.  I have to feather it to hit 19 in winter.

Odd. I notice very little difference on my GTI. I cut up traffic like a madman on my morning commute and this morning managed 27.1, with temps in the 20's here. That's all city driving, in Sport setting, using paddle shifters.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Today's Birthdays

1. Flybrian
      Flybrian
    2. rp2s
      rp2s
  • Similar Content

• By William Maley
      Most wagon options in the U.S. fall under the slightly-lifted off-road category. The reason is quite simple as buyers like the looks and capability on offer when compared to standard wagons. Case in point is the latest member of the Golf family, the Alltrack. Volkswagen recently revealed that 75 percent of Golf SportWagens sold in the U.S. are Alltracks. We happen to be big fans of the Golf SportWagen as it builds upon many of strong points of the regular Golf by making it more practical. Can the Golf Alltrack do the same?
      The small changes made to the Golf Alltrack’s exterior help make it stand out somewhat. It begins with the slight 0.6-inch increase in ride height and a larger tire and wheel combination. Our SEL tester feature 18-inch wheels, while the S and SE make do with 17-inch wheels. Other exterior changes include new bumpers and lower body cladding. Volkswagen didn’t make any changes to the Alltrack’s interior which is a good thing. It retains the clean if a somewhat boring design that makes it easy to find the various controls. Build and material quality is very solid.  SEL models get a 6.5-inch touchscreen with Volkswagen’s Car-Net infotainment system and navigation. We like how fast the system is with switching between various functions, physical shortcut buttons, and integration with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. Car-Net loses some points for low-resolution graphics and the navigation system looking very dated.  The seats are quite comfortable with excellent support and good bolstering to keep you planted when traversing down a winding road. Head and legroom are excellent in both rows of seats. A turbocharged 1.8L four-cylinder with 170 horsepower and 199 pound-feet of torque provides the motivation for the Golf Alltrack. This is paired with a six-speed DSG transmission (a six-speed manual is available on the S and SE) and Volkswagen’s 4Motion all-wheel drive system. Despite being about 300 pounds heavier than the SportWagen, the Alltrack doesn’t break a sweat. It feels just as fast as the SportWagen we drove last year with strong acceleration throughout the rpm band. The DSG still exhibits some sluggishness when leaving a stop, but improves when you’re up to speed with rapid and smooth shifts. Fuel economy is disappointing with EPA figures of 22 City/30 Highway/25 Combined. We saw an average of 25 MPG with a mix of 70 percent city and 30 percent highway driving. Ride and handling characteristics is much like the standard Golf and SportWagen. No matter the road surface, the Alltrack’s suspension was able to provide a comfortable ride. Around corners, the Alltrack does show a little bit of body roll. However, it feels as agile as the standard SportWagen and the steering is quick to respond to inputs. The Golf Alltrack begins at $25,850 for the base S with manual transmission. Our loaded SEL tester totaled $35,705 with the Driver Assistance and Light package. That’s a lot of money for a compact off-road wagon, especially considering you can get into a larger Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited with the excellent EyeSight active safety system for around the same money. If we were buying a Golf Alltrack, we would drop down to the S with the DSG and order the Driver Assistance package, bring the total price to just over $28,500. The Alltrack is a worthy addition to the Golf family as it provides something a bit more capable while retaining many of the plus points of the standard Golf. We do wish the DSG was smoother during low-speed driving and fuel economy was slightly better.  
      Disclaimer: Volkswagen Provided the Golf Alltrack, Insurance, and One Tank of Gas
      Year: 2017 
      Make: Volkswagen
      Model: Golf Alltrack
      Trim: SEL
      Engine: Turbocharged 1.8L TSI DOHC Four-Cylinder
      Driveline: Six-Speed DSG, All-Wheel Drive
      Horsepower @ RPM: 170 @ 4,500
      Torque @ RPM: 199 @ 1,600
      Fuel Economy: City/Highway/Combined - 22/30/25
      Curb Weight: 3,351 lbs
      Location of Manufacture: N/A
      Base Price: $32,890
      As Tested Price: $35,705 (Includes $820.00 Destination Charge)
      Options:
      SEL Driver Assistance & Lighting Package - $1,995.00
    • By William Maley
      Most wagon options in the U.S. fall under the slightly-lifted off-road category. The reason is quite simple as buyers like the looks and capability on offer when compared to standard wagons. Case in point is the latest member of the Golf family, the Alltrack. Volkswagen recently revealed that 75 percent of Golf SportWagens sold in the U.S. are Alltracks. We happen to be big fans of the Golf SportWagen as it builds upon many of strong points of the regular Golf by making it more practical. Can the Golf Alltrack do the same?
      The small changes made to the Golf Alltrack’s exterior help make it stand out somewhat. It begins with the slight 0.6-inch increase in ride height and a larger tire and wheel combination. Our SEL tester feature 18-inch wheels, while the S and SE make do with 17-inch wheels. Other exterior changes include new bumpers and lower body cladding. Volkswagen didn’t make any changes to the Alltrack’s interior which is a good thing. It retains the clean if a somewhat boring design that makes it easy to find the various controls. Build and material quality is very solid.  SEL models get a 6.5-inch touchscreen with Volkswagen’s Car-Net infotainment system and navigation. We like how fast the system is with switching between various functions, physical shortcut buttons, and integration with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. Car-Net loses some points for low-resolution graphics and the navigation system looking very dated.  The seats are quite comfortable with excellent support and good bolstering to keep you planted when traversing down a winding road. Head and legroom are excellent in both rows of seats. A turbocharged 1.8L four-cylinder with 170 horsepower and 199 pound-feet of torque provides the motivation for the Golf Alltrack. This is paired with a six-speed DSG transmission (a six-speed manual is available on the S and SE) and Volkswagen’s 4Motion all-wheel drive system. Despite being about 300 pounds heavier than the SportWagen, the Alltrack doesn’t break a sweat. It feels just as fast as the SportWagen we drove last year with strong acceleration throughout the rpm band. The DSG still exhibits some sluggishness when leaving a stop, but improves when you’re up to speed with rapid and smooth shifts. Fuel economy is disappointing with EPA figures of 22 City/30 Highway/25 Combined. We saw an average of 25 MPG with a mix of 70 percent city and 30 percent highway driving. Ride and handling characteristics is much like the standard Golf and SportWagen. No matter the road surface, the Alltrack’s suspension was able to provide a comfortable ride. Around corners, the Alltrack does show a little bit of body roll. However, it feels as agile as the standard SportWagen and the steering is quick to respond to inputs. The Golf Alltrack begins at $25,850 for the base S with manual transmission. Our loaded SEL tester totaled $35,705 with the Driver Assistance and Light package. That’s a lot of money for a compact off-road wagon, especially considering you can get into a larger Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited with the excellent EyeSight active safety system for around the same money. If we were buying a Golf Alltrack, we would drop down to the S with the DSG and order the Driver Assistance package, bring the total price to just over $28,500. The Alltrack is a worthy addition to the Golf family as it provides something a bit more capable while retaining many of the plus points of the standard Golf. We do wish the DSG was smoother during low-speed driving and fuel economy was slightly better.  
      Disclaimer: Volkswagen Provided the Golf Alltrack, Insurance, and One Tank of Gas
      Year: 2017 
      Make: Volkswagen
      Model: Golf Alltrack
      Trim: SEL
      Engine: Turbocharged 1.8L TSI DOHC Four-Cylinder
      Driveline: Six-Speed DSG, All-Wheel Drive
      Horsepower @ RPM: 170 @ 4,500
      Torque @ RPM: 199 @ 1,600
      Fuel Economy: City/Highway/Combined - 22/30/25
      Curb Weight: 3,351 lbs
      Location of Manufacture: N/A
      Base Price: $32,890
      As Tested Price: $35,705 (Includes $820.00 Destination Charge)
      Options:
      SEL Driver Assistance & Lighting Package - $1,995.00

View full article
    • By William Maley
      VOLKSWAGEN OF AMERICA REPORTS OCTOBER 2017 SALES RESULTS
      Sales totaled 27,732 units, an increase of 11.9 percent over October 2016 Year-to-date sales totaled 280,188, an increase of 9.4 percent Sales of the Chattanooga-built 2018 Atlas totaled 3,664 units Sales of the all-new 2018 Tiguan totaled 3,848 units Herndon, VA — (November 1, 2017) Volkswagen of America, Inc. (VWoA) today reported sales of 27,732 units delivered in October 2017, an 11.9 percent increase over October 2016. With 280,188 units delivered year-to-date in 2017, the company is reporting an increase of 9.4 percent in year-over-year sales.
      As Volkswagen shifts its lineup to offer more family-friendly SUVs, the results are reflected in October’s sales as   
      SUVs accounted for more than 32 percent of total volume for the Volkswagen brand. The Chattanooga-built Atlas delivered 3,664 units, while the 2018 Tiguan delivered 3,848 units.
      Sales of the core Jetta model were impressive, with 9,217 units delivered, an increase of 14.2 percent. This marks the best October for the Jetta since 2014.
      October 2017 Sales
        October 17
      October 16
      Yr/Yr%
      change
      October 17 
      YTD
      October 16
      YTD
      Yr/Yr%
      change
      Golf
      -14.7%
      13.6%
      GTI
      14.4%
      -0.6%
      Golf R
      -92.2%
      -23.2%
      e-Golf
      -50.1%
      -9.0%
      Golf SportWagen
      1.5%
      136.5%
      Total Golf Family
      -8.6%
      30.1%
      Jetta Sedan
      14.2%
      2.5%
      Jetta SportWagen       
      (now Golf SportWagen)
                       N/A  
                      N/A  
                N/A
      N/A
      -120.0%
      Total Jetta
      14.2%
      2.4%
      Beetle Coupe
      -50.3%
      -5.9%
      Beetle Convertible
      -41.3%
      21.9%
      Total Beetle
      -47.2%
      4.7%
      Eos*
                       N/A  
                      N/A  
                N/A
      -99.7%
      Passat
      -36.8%
      -8.0%
      CC
      -75.8%
      -52.2%
      Tiguan
      -62.0%
      -34.6%
      2018 Tiguan
                      N/A
                N/A
      N/A
                N/A
      Touareg
      -7.0%
      -17.8%
      Atlas
      N/A
                N/A
      N/A
                N/A
      TOTAL
      11.9%
      9.43%
      *Eos production ended in July 2015
    • By William Maley
      Do you remember the Volkswagen Kübelwagen? You might know it better as the Thing sold in 1970s. Volkswagen could be bringing it back as an electric vehicle.
      Speaking with Car and Driver, Volkswagen brand boss Herbert Diess said the upcoming MEB (Modular Electrification Toolkit) architecture might be the perfect platform to bring back some of the company's iconic vehicles like the Thing.
      “MEB is flexible—rear-wheel drive, front-wheel drive, all-wheel drive—and we have so many emotional concepts. I don’t know if you remember the Kübelwagen. This Thing is a nice car. Then there are all the buggies, the kit cars. We have the bus. We have the various derivatives of the bus. We have so many exciting concepts in our history that we don’t have to do a Beetle,” said Diess.
      This possible idea isn't that all surprising as Volkswagen as the I.D. Buzz was inspired by the Microbus.
      Speaking of the Beetle, Car and Driver asked if there will be a replacement for this model. As we have reported previously, the Beetle could be canned due to poor sales.
      “No decision yet. The next decision on the electric cars will be, ‘What kind of emotional concepts do we need?’ [A decision] might happen next year. This Beetle won’t go electric; the next one might, if there is a next one. We have a good chance on the electric side to do derivatives and emotional derivatives. It’s probably more efficient to do so than in [internal combustion] cars,” said Diess.
      “We could [build an electric Beetle], because it is rear-wheel drive, no grille. If we wanted to do a Beetle electrically, it would be much better than the current car. Much closer to the history of the Beetle. [But] I think the Microbus is a much better emotional concept for the brand than the Beetle. If you go to California, everybody would say it’s the bus.”
      Source: Car and Driver

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Do you remember the Volkswagen Kübelwagen? You might know it better as the Thing sold in 1970s. Volkswagen could be bringing it back as an electric vehicle.
      Speaking with Car and Driver, Volkswagen brand boss Herbert Diess said the upcoming MEB (Modular Electrification Toolkit) architecture might be the perfect platform to bring back some of the company's iconic vehicles like the Thing.
      “MEB is flexible—rear-wheel drive, front-wheel drive, all-wheel drive—and we have so many emotional concepts. I don’t know if you remember the Kübelwagen. This Thing is a nice car. Then there are all the buggies, the kit cars. We have the bus. We have the various derivatives of the bus. We have so many exciting concepts in our history that we don’t have to do a Beetle,” said Diess.
      This possible idea isn't that all surprising as Volkswagen as the I.D. Buzz was inspired by the Microbus.
      Speaking of the Beetle, Car and Driver asked if there will be a replacement for this model. As we have reported previously, the Beetle could be canned due to poor sales.
      “No decision yet. The next decision on the electric cars will be, ‘What kind of emotional concepts do we need?’ [A decision] might happen next year. This Beetle won’t go electric; the next one might, if there is a next one. We have a good chance on the electric side to do derivatives and emotional derivatives. It’s probably more efficient to do so than in [internal combustion] cars,” said Diess.
      “We could [build an electric Beetle], because it is rear-wheel drive, no grille. If we wanted to do a Beetle electrically, it would be much better than the current car. Much closer to the history of the Beetle. [But] I think the Microbus is a much better emotional concept for the brand than the Beetle. If you go to California, everybody would say it’s the bus.”
      Source: Car and Driver
  • My Clubs

• Who's Online (See full list)

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We  Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook