VW News: Volkswagen Believes Engine Downsize Trend Is Coming To A Close

Automakers have been downsizing their engines and adding turbochargers to improve fuel economy while retaining power from larger displacement engines. But is there a point where this trend doesn't make sense anymore? Volkswagen believes that time is coming very soon.

"The trend of downsizing is over," said Herbert Diess, Volkswagen's chairman.

"Emissions tend to go up as engines get smaller."

This is due to smaller engines needing to work much harder to produce the power figures of higher displacement engines, which in turns causes more fuel to be used. Currently, small displacement engines do very well in the European fuel economy and emission tests. But the test results have come under intense scrutiny as they don't match up to real-world tests. In a few years, the European Union will introduce new procedures that include tests in the lab and real-world. The new tests could put this trend at a standstill.

Diess said they would continue to offer the turbocharged 1.0L three-cylinder and 1.6L turbodiesel, but wouldn't go any smaller in the future.

Source: The Telegraph

View full article

2 hours ago, dfelt said:

This has been proven for years now, I see no reason to go smaller than what we have. Electric can do way better than a turbo 3 can.

Dude really now.  A petrol turbo 3 is infinitely more practical than electric for FREEDOM.  No one wants to be tied to a cord.

the other bit i will add here while its relevant to tiny engines in this thread.  my tiny turbo 1.5 in my malibu gets stellar gas mileage when the weather is warm and nice.  Takes a much bigger hit to mpg in winter conditions.  I have probably had 20-30% drop most of the time this winter, sometimes more.

16 minutes ago, regfootball said:

the other bit i will add here while its relevant to tiny engines in this thread.  my tiny turbo 1.5 in my malibu gets stellar gas mileage when the weather is warm and nice.  Takes a much bigger hit to mpg in winter conditions.  I have probably had 20-30% drop most of the time this winter, sometimes more.

Same here with my 3.6.  Warm weather gas, I get about 23.  I have to feather it to hit 19 in winter.