Spied: 2019 Chevrolet Silverado 1500.

chevrolet-silverado-spy-shots-480x240.jp

"Rumor has it that GM is expected to make some radical changes to its full-size pickups in the form of aluminum-intensive construction in a bid to shed weight and improve fuel efficiency, following the F-150's move a few years ago. The company is said to be working on making stronger aluminum and learning from Ford's switch to aluminum.

"The new Silverado will continue with refinements to the current V-8 engines, but it's also expected to get a diesel and mild hybrid option on the half-ton models. Currently the Duramax diesel comes only on heavy-duty trucks — and a turbocharged V-6 is also likely to join the lineup. A 10-speed automatic first seen in the Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 will find its way into some trucks at launch. Expect to see the new Silverado in late 2018 as a 2019 model.

Read More 

I actually could see the GM Full Size Pickups being 90% all aluminum except for the high strength Hydroform Frame and the inside of the bed being made of High Strength Steel. This way the outside of the truck is Aluminum and lightweight, but the bed being High Strength Steel can still withstand the punctures of commercial use.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, dfelt said:

I actually could see the GM Full Size Pickups being 90% all aluminum except for the high strength Hydroform Frame and the inside of the bed being made of High Strength Steel. This way the outside of the truck is Aluminum and lightweight, but the bed being High Strength Steel can still withstand the punctures of commercial use.

I can/could see that also.

And same with a GTDI V-6... ;) 

11 minutes ago, FordCosworth said:

I can/could see that also.

And same with a GTDI V-6... ;) 

Makes ya wonder when the average Joe can see what seems like common sense ideas, why a company does not. 

Thinking about this, guess the cab would still be High Strength steel at least in the pillars for roll over protection while the skin is Aluminum.

• 2 months later...

But, but, but, GM says real people, not actors want steel. It's very important to have steel for bear attacks. And for when you want to dump cement blocks into the bed from six feet up. I guess GM isn't making trucks for real people anymore. 

• Agree 1

51 minutes ago, Scout said:

But, but, but, GM says real people, not actors want steel. It's very important to have steel for bear attacks. And for when you want to dump cement blocks into the bed from six feet up. I guess GM isn't making trucks for real people anymore. 

You might not be real, but I am! :roflmao:  JK

In other news, seems the testers exposed their Dash!

http://www.trucktrend.com/future-trucks/1705-2019-chevrolet-silverado-1500-interior-spied/

Flashing by GM, will it never end? :o 

Everything else being equal, I would choose a steel bed, but nearly every single working truck out there has a bedliner. I have one, PLUS a bed mat to keep things from sliding. If I had an aluminum bed under that & chose to elbow a steel toolbox off the bedrail, it would never tear the bed thru those 2 layers.

As far as the camo'd '19 Silverado 'looking like the other years'- its the Germanaic way : year after year, generation after generation- make 'em look the same. That's a good thing, right?

• Agree 1