Subaru News: Subaru Executive Admits Impreza and XV (Crosstrek) Could Use Some More Power

If you have read any review of the all-new Subaru Impreza, then you'll know there is one issue that many have pointed out - the anemic 2.0L four-cylinder. Masahiko Inoue, Subaru project general manager product and portfolio division told CarAdvice that he has been getting a lot of complaints with this engine.

“Everybody is requesting from me a more powerful engine. Everybody thinks it needs more power. They are satisfied, they understand the Subaru Global Platform and the new 2.0-litre engine – but needing more power is a common complaint from everybody,” said Inoue.

Inoue said the brand is looking at various options to solve this issue such as using a larger displacement engine (possibly the 2.5L from the Forester), turbocharging, or even a hybrid. But the final decision ultimately rests on how well the Impreza and sister model, the XV (Crosstrek for North America) sells. 

“Of course, we are studying, and we are now studying one of the options: a 2.4- or 2.5-litre engine, downsized and turbocharged, and power supported by motor, a hybrid. Every way we are studying for the next model, or the future model," said Inoue.

“But we cannot spend money on this vehicle, because this is an entry vehicle for Subaru. We have to keep competitive with the cost for the entry vehicles, so if the turbocharged model is requested, maybe it will go to the Forester, or the Levorg, or another vehicle.”

Source: CarAdvice

View full article

Interesting that they would say this is entry level and yet people are also saying the one problem is power. I see lack luster sales with the anemic power.

Subarus are known for their safety features and surviving a car crash.  One can argue the cars are too heavy for the engines provided.  Just develop and put in a larger engine in the cars, or at least cut weight by a few hundred pounds.

1 hour ago, riviera74 said:

Subarus are known for their safety features and surviving a car crash.  One can argue the cars are too heavy for the engines provided.  Just develop and put in a larger engine in the cars, or at least cut weight by a few hundred pounds.

Really, that is an interesting thought. I looked into them at one time in the early days of my marriage due to the wife liking the looks and due to how small and tight they are and tiny feeling, we passed. I ended up going SUV full size with GM and never looked back after 1993.