Toyota News: Rumorpile: Toyota Supra To Not Have A Manual Transmission?

The upcoming Toyota Supra is considered to be one of the most highly anticipated vehicles to come out. It has also garnered a fair amount rumors, partly due to it sharing some bits with the next BMW Z4. But some leaked internal documents may dampen some of that anticipation.

A member on the Supra MKV forums obtained a BMW model code document listing out the various combinations for the upcoming Supra and Z4, along with which market they will appear on. For the Toyota, the document shows that it will be offered with the 30i and 40i engines. This likely means the Supra will get BMW's 2.0L turbo-four (248 horsepower) and 3.0L turbocharged inline-six (335 horsepower). Interestingly, none of Toyota variants list a manual transmission. They all appear to be hooked up to an automatic. Compare it to list of BMW models where there appear to be some manual options.

Before you start panicking about the missing manual, the document is a few months and what is listed may change.

So for right now, take a deep breath and wait patiently for BMW and Toyota to reveal the models.

Source: Supra MKV

View full article

Interesting, Wonder how this will hold up when people for the same price can get a V8 corvette with stick.  :scratchchin: So many questions and yet so early that all this could change. Course I still wonder if the Supra is to be a $50K car, how people would justify spending that money on a turbo 4 or turbo 6 compared to the V8 options out there for the same cash.

Doesn't need a manual, they sell in crazy low numbers and the ZF will be faster and get better fuel economy anyway.  I think those 2 engines are fine for standard level, I am surprised there isn't something with more power unless that is coming later.  

Pricing should be competitive on this, it has to be cheaper than a Z4.

No new car of any performance persuasion needs a manual transmission.  Yes, the new autos can do a fine job of getting the most power to the pavement , etc. and so on.  Heck, even Ferrari does not offer a true manual.

That does not mean it is not a mistake on Toyota's part for (possibly) not offering one. 

But since I am the opposite of a Toyota fan, I am not going to be disappointed.

P.S. For full disclosure, my first car was a '79 Celica GT.  A terribly unreliable car.... and virtually every Toyota I have driven since has been (in my opinion) quite below the segment leader (from the Corolla right up to the Lexus LS).

• Like 1

16 hours ago, smk4565 said:

Doesn't need a manual, they sell in crazy low numbers and the ZF will be faster and get better fuel economy anyway.  I think those 2 engines are fine for standard level, I am surprised there isn't something with more power unless that is coming later.  

Pricing should be competitive on this, it has to be cheaper than a Z4.

Totally agree, with today's modern trans that have shift paddles, manual is no longer needed.