Suzuki Swift -Anyone know if its coming Stateside?

enzl

I'm of the opinion that the new Suzuki Swift being sold in Europe would make a great entry-level Suzuki product, plus it would build on Suzuki's motorcycyle performance image as a cut-rate Mini... Anyone know the plan? I'd rather see these here than the Daewoo's now in showrooms.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm of the opinion that the new Suzuki Swift being sold in Europe would make a great entry-level Suzuki product, plus it would build on Suzuki's motorcycyle performance image as a cut-rate Mini...

Anyone know the plan? I'd rather see these here than the Daewoo's now in showrooms.

[post="10350"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

No plans to bring the current Swift on sale elsewhere in the world to the U.S...possibly the next version will make it here.

Although it has a slightly wider tq curve the VVT 1.5L has nearly the same power output as the 1.3 DOHC the old GTi's use to have. The old Swift has a bit of a Cult following here in the U.S. among Autocrossers, if they do bring it here they need to boost the readline on the 1.5L to somewhere around 6500-7k and boost output buy 15-20hp. Edited by quantum110

• 6 months later...
These things have been around for quite a while. Last time on Top Gear they got a whole bunch of these and played ice hockey with them.

And on a side note, we have a Swift+ already. It's also known as the Aveo. Edited by ToniCipriani

There is now information that the new Swift will be coming to the US.  It's a hot little buggy and I'd like to see it here.  Can anyone confirm or deny?
http://www.globalsuzuki.com/swift/

[post="119210"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Not this generation. It just wasn't designed for the US market and the revisions required (as Honda had to do with the Fit) would ruin the design.

Well, too bad. I've been binging on B-class cars lately, and the Swift looks to be the most entertaining. It also looks boyish, unlike some other Bs, except for the Dodge Hornet, which so far is only a concept.

I think the Swift is all-Suzuki, isn't it? I hope it's not a Daewoo. The Swift is much cooler looking than the Aveo, and the British rags all love it. It's a shame if this car cannot be brought over here, especially with the proliferation of this size of car we have now. I feel it would help Suzuki.

The Swift is a half-class down from the Aveo etc.—closer to the Yaris hatchback and Mini (and Lancia Ypsilon) and the broader range of A-segment hatches such as the Daihatsu Sirion, Proton Savvy, Chevrolet Celta and Nissan Micra, and the three-door Ford Ka and Citroen C2—thus the larger Suzuki badged Kalos is called the Swift+. Notice only the Yaris hatch is offered in the US. For the record, a Chevrolet Metro hatch is longer than even the Swift Sport with its bodywork extensions (not as wide, but that's progress).

• 2 weeks later...

The Swift is a half-class down from the Aveo etc.—closer to the Yaris hatchback and Mini (and Lancia Ypsilon) and the broader range of A-segment hatches such as the Daihatsu Sirion, Proton Savvy, Chevrolet Celta and Nissan Micra, and the three-door Ford Ka and Citroen C2—thus the larger Suzuki badged Kalos is called the Swift+. Notice only the Yaris hatch is offered in the US. For the record, a Chevrolet Metro hatch is longer than even the Swift Sport with its bodywork extensions (not as wide, but that's progress).

I don't know what makes you think that the Swift is "a half-class down from the Aveo," because I see it as the same class (like the Yaris) if not halfway between the Aveo and the Mini (which is more prestigious and, therefore, a class above the Aveo). The Swift is only marginally shorter in length than the Aveo but it's taller in height and wider.

Simple—a standard size class generally spans 400 mm in length, and the Swift is 185 mm shorter than an Aveo hatch, close enough to 200 mm or half a size class down. When you look at the new generation of European and Korean compacts (Rio, Accent, 207, Clio III, Grande Punto) at around 4 m long and, you can easily see that the Yaris hatch at just over 3.8 m is fighting way out of it's league, just like the last generation. It may have critical acceptance but buyers aren't decieved — it comes nowhere near it's European rivals in terms of sales. Like too many GM models it's just too far from the sweet spot in size and price. The Swift is popular and has a lot of spark, but Suzuki is far less inclined to pretend it competes with a Clio, or a Rio. Being a "Toyota" does not make up for the Yaris's size disadvantage. It really should have had the 90 mm stretch given the Yaris/Belta sedan. ocnblu, if you like the Swift, check out the Verisa at www.mazda.co.jp Like the Scion xA it's longer and a lot cooler than the standard B-segment model sold in Europe. Edited by thegriffon

• 1 month later...
The new Swift would definitely be more welcome and fun than those dull, dowdy Daewoos sitting on the showroom floors.