Bought a new minivan

• 7 months later...

A few updates on the van.  We have had it almost 18 months and it is about to roll 24k miles.  We still love the thing.  Last spring we drove it from metro Detroit to Orlando, Fl and back with a 2 night stop in Atlanta on the way down and 2 nights in Pigeon Forge, TN on the way back.  Even with Atlanta, Orlando and Pigeon Forge traffic I think we still averaged around 26.5 mpg for the trip IIRC.

Unfortunately the stop/start battery died in the mountains of Tennessee on the way back.  This was right at the 12 month mark of ownership.  The funny part is the dealership tried to tell me that the reason the battery died is because we don't drive it enough.  I asked him how 18k miles in 12 months isn't enough?  🤣 Obviously he had no reply.

The most recent trip was metro Detroit to St. Louis.  Great city to vacation in with kids!  Tons of stuff to do there.  It was around an 1100 mile trip.  First tank was calculated as 26.7 mpg - 80 mph and 3 adults and 2 kids in the car.  The second tank was 24.7 mpg calculated with 4 days of short, local trips around St. Louis included.  Not too bad.

The only other issue we have had with the van is the battery covers breaking on both wireless headphones.  This is a known issue that unfortunately is not covered by Chrysler's B2B warranty but is covered directly through Delphi (now Aptiv).  They were on back order for like 6 weeks but we did eventually receive a set of new replacements in the mail.

It is also starting to make a groaning noise from the front end when you first start moving.  That is the only time you hear it.  I'm guessing something simply needs lubricated and I will have it checked out next time it is at the dealership.

Last thing for you Pacifica owners: be careful what windshield washer solvent you put in it.  At the very least, run it through a filtered funnel when putting it in.  I got a bad gallon of the green Rain-X type (don't think it was Rain-X brand) and it clogged the filter and burned up the pump.  My wallet was $300 lighter after that one.  I don't know if the stuff was bad or it went bad because I left it in the garage over the winter and it isn't rated to a very low temperature.  It was like it separated and left cloudy slime in there I didn't notice until it was too late. :(  Dealership said stick the the standard low temp blue stuff.

• Upvote 1

• 6 months later...

Been a while since I gave an update.  Unfortunately this is not the greatest update.

The wife was visiting a friend and was parked on a residential street and somebody driving a new Ram truck and not paying attention ran into the van.  It is about the widest residential street you will ever see as it is a legit 4 lanes wide so you can easily have cars parked on either side and still comfortably have two cars pass each other going opposite ways.  Thankfully (or not, I guess, since it wasn't totalled), there was no structural damage.  Unfortunately it wasn't fixed before the state shut down so that added a bit of extra time to the repair.  Wound up taking almost seven weeks but we have it back and they did a nice job on it.  For the most part it looks as good as new.

Other than that, we still love this thing.  It had close to 28k miles on it when it get hit and between the length of the repair and the fact we aren't really allowed to go anywhere that is pretty much where it has stayed for the past 2 plus months.  The GPS failed a couple days before it got hit and they did check that out while it was in being fixed.  They ordered a new radio to fix that issue but it still hasn't come in yet.

IMG_20200204_110934984_sm.jpg

IMG_20200204_110920885_sm.jpg

Edited by 2QuickZ's
Fixed spelling
  • Sad 5

10 hours ago, dfelt said:

WOW, So sorry to have this happen, It sucks when people do not pay attention to their only job, driving.

WOW, So the front Ram tire broke off after it hit your van? 🤔 @2QuickZ's

Yep, ripped it right off.  The person actually hit two vehicles on either side of a driveway and ours was the second one hit.  The first car hit had less damage as it was more of a glancing blow but it is possible that busted the suspension on the Ram and our van finished it off.

On 4/12/2020 at 6:44 AM, 2QuickZ's said:

Yep, ripped it right off.  The person actually hit two vehicles on either side of a driveway and ours was the second one hit.  The first car hit had less damage as it was more of a glancing blow but it is possible that busted the suspension on the Ram and our van finished it off.

Crazy, still sorry to hear ya had to deal with this. Was the person drunk as playing pinball auto usually means medical or drunk / high unless they truly were too much into their phone and not driving. Hopefully ticketed for this too.

One of the folks at the scene thought they smelled marijuana.  There is an active court case against the person but it is for things like too fast for conditions and improper lane use, not DUI.  I'm assuming they were either texting or talking to their passenger and not paying attention.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 6/18/2020 at 2:40 AM, turnback said:

I feel like drivers who do this things are selfish. They are not thinking of the safety of others . Hoping you now have fully recovered van. 

The van is in good shape now.  The replacement radio still hasn't come in due to the COVID shutdowns putting them behind but the only thing that doesn't work is the nav and since it has Android Auto, we just use that when necessary.

Only possible after effect of the crash is it seems to make a lot of tire noise now.  It had the winter tires on it when it was hit and they replaced both driver side as well as the passenger front since the van was pushed up a curb when hit.  The factory tires are the ones that are loud and I don't recall them being loud when we removed them in the fall.  Either there is a bad wheel bearing or two or the noisy tires were on the rear of the car and not as noticeable until I rotate them to the front.  Too much tread left to replace them, though.  I'll have the dealership check the wheel bearings whenever I get to take it back in for the Radio swap.

After several COVID induced reschedules, the court case is finally being heard next week via teleconference.

Ouch, glad the Van was able to get fixed...

My sis-in-law has an 2018 and they love theirs too. Fits the big family in there! Got a chance to drive it a bit down I-75 and the handles the best I have seen in a van... (helps I grew up with them I guess)

Still has me thinking about one......

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 5/8/2018 at 9:05 PM, Drew Dowdell said:

You know what, these drive so nice.... and they finally made a mini-van that actually looks good. This is really the best crossover alternative out there that can still do all the hauling a crossover can do and more.  I know @ocnblu would make fun of me for it, but I'd get the plug-in version... if only because it adds a bunch more scoot to the pentastar. 

i think there's some big incentives on the hybrid ones right now......

• 1 month later...

We've put another 5k or so miles on it since we got it back from the repair.  Everything has been good.  The tire noise is a couple of tires that need to be replaced due to Michigan's heavily potholed roads.  The radio was replaced and it did fix the navigation so that is all good as well.  That is the only warranty repair issue we have had with it that I can think of.  The front suspension does make a creaking/groaning noise upon initial acceleration so I will probably get that checked out before the warranty is up.

Covid was an incentive to buy a pop up camper this year as well.  This has proven to be an excellent tow vehicle for our approx. 2000 lb pop up.  It pulls it effortlessly and stops well.  It even gets halfway decent gas mileage pulling it so I can't complain.

On 9/14/2020 at 2:29 AM, Gregory Lynn said:

Congrats on the minivan it looks super nice.

Thank you!

Edited by 2QuickZ's
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 8 months later...

More updates:

Little more warranty work.  I wanted to address the creaking/groaning noise in the front suspension before the warranty was out.  They wound up replacing the lower control arms.

Poor thing also got rear ended again.  Not sure how people can't see a big red van.  Thankfully it was a minor accident and just the rear hatch and fascia needed to be replaced.  Ironically neither accident has resulted in any damage to the trailer hitch.  Minor accident or not, Carfax is still going to show two accidents so I can't wait to see how that affects the value when we sell it in a year or so. 😪

Still pulls the pop-up camper like a champ!  And it gets 20+ mpg while doing it.  After putting 32k miles on it in the first 22 months we owned it, due to COVID and subsequently working from home, it has only had around 4k miles put on it in the last 15 months or so.  My lease is almost up on my Cadillac so as soon as the COVID shutdown started, that became the primary family vehicle to try and get as many miles on it as we can before turning it back in.  Still a possibility I will buy it instead of turning it in but if we can get a decent lease on a Canyon Denali, that may wind up replacing it.

Edited by 2QuickZ's
spelling
  • Thanks 3