2018 Mitsubishi Outlander Hybrid

12 hours ago, regfootball said:

Let me get to the point. A short 1 mile ride of the Outlander hybrid.  The Outlander is past due, the hybrid powertrain didn't make any sort of impression on me otherwise.  If the powertrain is advanced, this needs a new wrapper.

thanks,

Shortest review ever! :P 

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

It's the only 3-row PHEV SUV with AWD available for that price. So if that's what you're looking for, it's a segment of one.</fin>  

Lincoln Navigator is the only 3-Row twin turbocharged V6 with 30-way adjustable seats, so if that's what you're looking for, it's a segment of one. 

14 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Lincoln Navigator is the only 3-Row twin turbocharged V6 with 30-way adjustable seats, so if that's what you're looking for, it's a segment of one. 

Eh.. only on the seat part.  Audi, Mercedes, and soon BMW all do twin-turbo 6es in full-size SUVs and having 27-way seats instead of 30 way isn't generally going to be a deal breaker (unless you're @smk4565).  If you're looking for an AWD PHEV of any body style, the choices are few... if you're looking for an SUV specifically, the choices are Mitsubishi, two Volvos, and a BMW. 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Eh.. only on the seat part.  Audi, Mercedes, and soon BMW all do twin-turbo 6es in full-size SUVs and having 27-way seats instead of 30 way isn't generally going to be a deal breaker (unless you're @smk4565).  If you're looking for an AWD PHEV of any body style, the choices are few... if you're looking for an SUV specifically, the choices are Mitsubishi, two Volvos, and a BMW. 

Those don't offer anything close to the size of a Navigator. 

If you feel like disputing the size then I could throw in 10spd transmission instead... 

My point was that with your oddly specific parameters, there are a lot of vehicles you could do that with. 

47 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Those don't offer anything close to the size of a Navigator. 

If you feel like disputing the size then I could throw in 10spd transmission instead... 

My point was that with your oddly specific parameters, there are a lot of vehicles you could do that with. 

PHEV + AWD + SUV.  For those of us in the snow belt, AWD is a requirement. In the wintertime, AWD is the difference between getting out of my driveway or back up my street in the snow, or not.  That means that few hybrids and even fewer PHEVs qualify for consideration even if one is interested in a PHEV.  

I have a genuine interest in getting a PHEV, but nearly any that I might want will be a compromise of some sort.  I'd love an XC90 PHEV which checks all the boxes, but that is a $80k vehicle.  The Outlander is much more attainable. 

27 way seats verse 30 seats is less of a consideration. 

I am Mitsubishi sympathetic as others. But the exterior design and interior design and quality I only really find acceptable when I am looking at a 20-25k purchase price on an average trim outlander. So Mitsubishi despite its achievement with the electric system can’t expect that it won’t get ripped for the rest of the vehicle. The market will decide how cheap it sells at. 

1 hour ago, ccap41 said:

BMW X5 xDrive40e, GLC 350e 4MATIC, GLE 550e 4MATIC, XC60 T6, XC40 T5. 

I think the X5 even has a 3rd row option. 

XC40 T5 is not (yet) available as a PHEV, though it is coming.  But yes, I did miss the GLCe.  The point being, there isn't a lot of choice unless you really have the checkbook to support it.  The Mitsu gets you there for a lot less. The GLC and XC40 are a lot smaller as well.  The Outlander is bigger

3 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

PHEV + AWD + SUV.  For those of us in the snow belt, AWD is a requirement. In the wintertime, AWD is the difference between getting out of my driveway or back up my street in the snow, or not.  That means that few hybrids and even fewer PHEVs qualify for consideration even if one is interested in a PHEV.

Yeah, I was just going buy the above restrictions which most all of those I listed check these boxes and are well under 80k.

I think if this floats your boat, i would wait 2-3 years when there will be plenty unsold new demos and lightly used ones on the market for absurdly low prices due to the mitsubishi depreciation factor.  I think some of the iMievs are selling for dirt cheap like the used Leafs and stuff.

And if that is the case it would be a good deal, i wonder what factory warranty is on these, me being too lazy to look up.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1