Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I have been using Apple Airport Extreme plus an Express as a wifi extender for years now. The one I have is from 2013.  Lately I've been having trouble with it in that even if I have full signal, my speeds are laughably slow.  This isn't good for working from home. 

Unfortunately, Apple stopped making the Airport series after 2016, which is a shame because they really the best routers of their day.

The problem that I'm encountering is that most routers have absolutely garbage reviews.

Here's what I'm looking for:

1. Wifi6 and Mesh with at least one additional access point - I buy bleeding edge because I want the product to last me many years as my Airports have.
2. Cost no more than $300 - even this amount is high, but I'm realizing that if I don't want garbage, I can't be spending $89 on a router.
3. At least 2 lan ports on the base station. 

What I don't want:

1. ISP based router - I have Verizon Fios. Their router is $299 but is so locked down you can't really do much more with it.  You cannot change the DNS servers it uses which is a privacy concern.
2. A router that is going to collect my personal information for Chinese companies or anyone for that matter.  This eliminates the TP-Link brand as it has been revealed that their routers are storing your information and browsing history in order to sell ads. (Verizon does this too, but you can change the DNS settings to avoid it)
3. Google Wifi/Nest or Amazon Eeos routers - I may end up going with the Google Wifi because that's what my parents use and its been very good for them, but I have privacy concerns with Google and I'm trying to DeGoogle my life.  I don't trust Amazon/Alexa and that is built into the Eeos routers.  Google Wifi/Nest uses older Wifi technology and is not very future proof, the Nest versions have Google Assistant built in and I have the same concerns there as with Alexa. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

How fast is your connection?   I've had mixed results w/ an Orbi mesh setup...  I've got good wifi for the most part except for one of the upstairs bedrooms.  I've got Cox Gigblast and get good download speeds for 2 people WFH on wifi and VPNs all day...lots of Teams meetings and streaming movies...

Edited by Robert Hall
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

How fast is your connection?   I've had mixed results w/ an Orbi mesh setup...  I've got good wifi for the most part except for one of the upstairs bedrooms.  I've got Cox Gigblast and get good download speeds for 2 people WFH on wifi and VPNs all day...

Paying for 50mbps, getting 60mbps when hard wired.

Sometimes I can get 60mpbs over wifi, but often it will drop to 1.5mbps. I regularly drop Zoom and Teams calls if I'm in my office.  

I have the Extreme as the router on the first floor, I have another Extreme that was surplus equipment set up as an extender in my second bedroom on the second floor, and have an Express as an extender on the third floor that also acts as a network port for my big color laser. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I have been using Apple Airport Extreme plus an Express as a wifi extender for years now. The one I have is from 2013.  Lately I've been having trouble with it in that even if I have full signal, my speeds are laughably slow.  This isn't good for working from home. 

Unfortunately, Apple stopped making the Airport series after 2016, which is a shame because they really the best routers of their day.

The problem that I'm encountering is that most routers have absolutely garbage reviews.

Here's what I'm looking for:

1. Wifi6 and Mesh with at least one additional access point - I buy bleeding edge because I want the product to last me many years as my Airports have.
2. Cost no more than $300 - even this amount is high, but I'm realizing that if I don't want garbage, I can't be spending $89 on a router.
3. At least 2 lan ports on the base station. 

What I don't want:

1. ISP based router - I have Verizon Fios. Their router is $299 but is so locked down you can't really do much more with it.  You cannot change the DNS servers it uses which is a privacy concern.
2. A router that is going to collect my personal information for Chinese companies or anyone for that matter.  This eliminates the TP-Link brand as it has been revealed that their routers are storing your information and browsing history in order to sell ads. (Verizon does this too, but you can change the DNS settings to avoid it)
3. Google Wifi/Nest or Amazon Eeos routers - I may end up going with the Google Wifi because that's what my parents use and its been very good for them, but I have privacy concerns with Google and I'm trying to DeGoogle my life.  I don't trust Amazon/Alexa and that is built into the Eeos routers.  Google Wifi/Nest uses older Wifi technology and is not very future proof, the Nest versions have Google Assistant built in and I have the same concerns there as with Alexa. 

 

 

I don't trust Amazon/Alexa either or really Google for that matter. I bought a couple of Echo's a few years ago and they always seemed like they would key up on their own. The in my bedroom would have Alexa talking when nobody was in the room like it was being remotely linked from an outside source and the living room one would just key up randomly with the flashing ring like it was listening. I thought screw this and unplugged both of them and never looked back. 

The problem is damn near everything is made in China and the CCP can come in and steal physical and intellectual property from companies whenever they want. It's unfortunately part of doing business in China.

 I've always had good luck with Netgear routers. They have the Netgear Orbi 6 Tri-band mesh and the Nighthawk series is pretty good too but only WiFi 5 I believe.

https://www.cnet.com/news/best-wi-fi-routers-of-2020-nest-asus-tp-link-netgear-orbi/

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, USA-1 said:

I don't trust Amazon/Alexa either or really Google for that matter. I bought a couple of Echo's a few years ago and they always seemed like they would key up on their own. The in my bedroom would have Alexa talking when nobody was in the room like it was being remotely linked from an outside source and the living room one would just key up randomly with the flashing ring like it was listening. I thought screw this and unplugged both of them and never looked back. 

The problem is damn near everything is made in China and the CCP can come in and steal physical and intellectual property from companies whenever they want. It's unfortunately part of doing business in China.

 I've always had good luck with Netgear routers. They have the Netgear Orbi 6 Tri-band mesh and the Nighthawk series is pretty good too but only WiFi 5 I believe.

https://www.cnet.com/news/best-wi-fi-routers-of-2020-nest-asus-tp-link-netgear-orbi/

 

I had a Nighthawk with Wifi6 from Costco and without the extender, it couldn't get signal to my office. 😞

At the moment the top two are the Linksys Velop Mesh 6 or the Google Wifi Mesh.  I like the Netgear Orbi 6 Mesh, but they're obscenely expensive. $429 for a set of 3 at Costco.

I don't like the Google Wifi Mesh for privacy concerns, but I checked my parent's wifi last night and you can change the DNS servers. 

2 hours ago, ykX said:

I have Google mesh WiFi, I can only say that it worked very well last two years I had it.

Yeah, my parents have been happy with theirs.  Coverage in their house is terrible because it's so spread out. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

@Drew Dowdell I have had both my sisters and parents buy this and installed it for them. I have it and across a two story house I have no problems with super fast WIFI as well as rock solid Gigabit hardwire.

Amazon.com: ARRIS SURFboard SBG8300 DOCSIS 3.1 Gigabit Cable Modem & AC2350 Dual Band Wi-Fi Router, Approved for Cox, Spectrum, Xfinity & others (black): Computers & Accessories

I would not buy any router modem WIFI box that did not have DOCSIS 3.0 or higher.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sales are happening, Nighthawk 6-Stream WiFi Gaming Router, $349.99

Nighthawk Pro Gaming WiFi 6 Router with DumaOS 3.0 | NETGEAR

Orbi Tri-Band WiFi 6 Mesh System, 6Gbps, Router + 1 Satellite, $699.99

Orbi RBK852 Mesh WiFi System - Tri-band WiFi 6 Mesh System | NETGEAR

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, David said:

@Drew Dowdell I have had both my sisters and parents buy this and installed it for them. I have it and across a two story house I have no problems with super fast WIFI as well as rock solid Gigabit hardwire.

Amazon.com: ARRIS SURFboard SBG8300 DOCSIS 3.1 Gigabit Cable Modem & AC2350 Dual Band Wi-Fi Router, Approved for Cox, Spectrum, Xfinity & others (black): Computers & Accessories

I would not buy any router modem WIFI box that did not have DOCSIS 3.0 or higher.

I don't get a choice on the modem.  Fios drops an actual ethernet cable into my basement and I have to take it from there.  So that's the downside.  The upside is that all I have to do is call in with my credit card number and they'll increase the speed to 1.0 gigabit.

I don't need that much though.... 60mbps is fine for me. If only I could get the wifi to be that speed. 

10 hours ago, David said:

Sales are happening, Nighthawk 6-Stream WiFi Gaming Router, $349.99

Nighthawk Pro Gaming WiFi 6 Router with DumaOS 3.0 | NETGEAR

Orbi Tri-Band WiFi 6 Mesh System, 6Gbps, Router + 1 Satellite, $699.99

Orbi RBK852 Mesh WiFi System - Tri-band WiFi 6 Mesh System | NETGEAR

I already tried the Nighthawk, though a different model that still had Wifi6. I didn't like it. The interface was painfully slow.  Wifi was more reliable in that it didn't drop like it does now, but without an extender, I couldn't reach into my office for signal.

I'm not spending $700 on a mesh system.

I found a set of two Wifi 6 Mesh Linksys Velop routers on Costco for $300 plus shipping. It's more than I wanted to spend, but the only other option I'm seeing is the Google Wifi, but I can't bring myself to pull the trigger on something that is already out of date.

I woke up this morning to no internet at all.  The Airport had crashed and it took two reboots to bring it back before I was able to get on for work.  I think I'll be pulling the trigger on this today. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I don't get a choice on the modem.  Fios drops an actual ethernet cable into my basement and I have to take it from there.  So that's the downside.  The upside is that all I have to do is call in with my credit card number and they'll increase the speed to 1.0 gigabit.

I don't need that much though.... 60mbps is fine for me. If only I could get the wifi to be that speed. 

I already tried the Nighthawk, though a different model that still had Wifi6. I didn't like it. The interface was painfully slow.  Wifi was more reliable in that it didn't drop like it does now, but without an extender, I couldn't reach into my office for signal.

I'm not spending $700 on a mesh system.

I found a set of two Wifi 6 Mesh Linksys Velop routers on Costco for $300 plus shipping. It's more than I wanted to spend, but the only other option I'm seeing is the Google Wifi, but I can't bring myself to pull the trigger on something that is already out of date.

I woke up this morning to no internet at all.  The Airport had crashed and it took two reboots to bring it back before I was able to get on for work.  I think I'll be pulling the trigger on this today. 

I have FIOS Gigabit service here, $79.99 a month unlimited data. Was another $15 a month for their out of date Modem, so bought the Arris above and love it. WIFI anywhere in my house and yard. I find it weird that they do not offer a choice of modem or not. I find it strange that your house is so blocking of the WIFI signal. How hard would it be to run hard wire and have a solid connection?

Best of luck with your Mesh system. Let us know how it works out.

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, David said:

I have FIOS Gigabit service here, $79.99 a month unlimited data. Was another $15 a month for their out of date Modem, so bought the Arris above and love it. WIFI anywhere in my house and yard. I find it weird that they do not offer a choice of modem or not. I find it strange that your house is so blocking of the WIFI signal. How hard would it be to run hard wire and have a solid connection?

Best of luck with your Mesh system. Let us know how it works out.

It's just one room that has the signal issue and is is diagonally the furthest distance away.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I ended up pulling the trigger on this pair of Linksys Velop Wi-Fi 6 for $299.

Linksys Velop AX4200 WiFi 6 Mesh System 2-Pack https://www.costco.com/linksys-velop-ax4200-wifi-6-mesh-system-2-pack.product.100701373.html

my airport crashed multiple times today while I was trying to work

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We ♥ Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook

×
×
  • Create New...