Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Airplanes

19 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

B-2 Spirit flies over St. Louis > Air Force > Article Display

This picture is awesome and you can see Busch Stadium 3 (where my beloved Cardinals play) under construction in the upper left. 

By the looks of nothing being built up yet, this was taken in 2004, the year the Cardinals lost to the Red Sox in the World Series and I was only a freshman in high school. Ohhhh how time flies! 

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, ccap41 said:

This picture is awesome and you can see Busch Stadium 3 (where my beloved Cardinals play) under construction in the upper left. 

By the looks of nothing being built up yet, this was taken in 2004, the year the Cardinals lost to the Red Sox in the World Series and I was only a freshman in high school. Ohhhh how time flies! 

I saw that picture and I immediately knew that I had to post it.  JUST for you!!! 

I should have personalized the post to you, but...  Its OK

My Best Friend GIFs | Tenor

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/24/2023 at 11:31 AM, ccap41 said:

There are some strict rules about the Gateway Arch, folks!  I know you know. 

I'm sure this thing flew over it.

On 5/12/2023 at 8:54 PM, oldshurst442 said:

Aegean Airlines responds to complaints from customers over flight tickets -  Greek Herald

Aegean Airlines | Heathrow

I like the second livery.  Aegean is in the Star Alliance, therefore it's grouped in with United and Air Canada.  I'd sure like the seem them cross the ocean to North America, like Olympic did.

On 5/24/2023 at 6:27 PM, oldshurst442 said:

I saw that picture and I immediately knew that I had to post it.  JUST for you!!! 

I should have personalized the post to you, but...  Its OK

My Best Friend GIFs | Tenor

@oldshurst442

Classic reliable "olds" humor!

• Agree 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/4/2023 at 12:41 PM, trinacriabob said:

Returning to New York

Service to JFK began today, on the 4th of July

Lufthansa Resumes Airbus A380 Flights To New York JFK (msn.com)

Thank you for the commemorating the 4th with us, Lufthansa!

I wonder how much CO2 is pumped into the atmosphere from these massive planes?

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, David said:

I wonder how much CO2 is pumped into the atmosphere from these massive planes?

If you go onto Google Flights and enter a city pair you are considering, it gives you that based on the type of aircraft, length of the flight, etc.  It gives you the numerical amounts of CO2 it drops into the atmosphere.  

I guess you can even see how a different type of aircraft fares on the same trip if it's a popular route with different carriers using different aircraft.

• Thanks 1

Young Austrian girl in front of an Austrian Airbus 340 in the Maldives, of all places.

An aviation-loving kid posed by an airplane in 1999. Over 20 years later, she recreated the photo (msn.com)

Since Lufthansa and Swiss have/had these quad jets, it would make sense that Austrian did too at some point in time.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

More of an aviation than airplane post, as this vid catches the approach into NY-LaGuardia Airport better than most I've seen.  To do so is quite a treat to begin with, but seeing it's Air Canada tells me why it was a bigger treat.  That's because they aligned with the Hudson coming south and then had to sweep over the harbor and align with the East River, giving a great view of Lower Manhattan and Midtown, before landing at LGA.  He got the Statue of Liberty, the Verrazano Bridge, and many of the other bridges, too.  Remember BMW - the order of the bridges up the East River starts with Brooklyn, Manhattan, Williamsburg, etc.

I love this city - always have and always will.

Edited by trinacriabob
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I saw this interesting video on what a Boeing 797 could be.  

I disagree with his thoughts about the 787 being sort of a gamble. It's great. It's got range to go very far and also works for 2 to 3 hour flights.

The 787 rolled in the 757 and 767, so it was good that way, although it's more similar to a 767.  I didn't know there was that much love for the 757 ... and that it left a gap.

The 737 is one of the best planes ever.  It's boring, but has been a workhorse for decades.  Now, if all these MAX issues could be resolved and fade into the rear view mirror.

The biggest thing is that Airbus is scoring big with the 321-XLR, which carriers are increasingly using for transatlantic service.  I flew on one for 7 hours for a 177€ deal back to North America and it was better than okay.  It was better than doing it on an older Boeing 757, though both are 3-3single aisle.

So, this 797 is meant to go head-to-head with Airbus.  It will be like a long 737, have longer range for transoceanic service, and, best of all, this concept shows it having 2-3-2 twin aisle seating, so 7 seats across.  You really want that on a long haul flight.  It opens up the feel of the cabin.  

I'm no marketing researcher.  Boeing has their work cut out for them.  They also have to deliver with this latest 777, which is behind schedule.

I think this line-up from big to small looks plausible:

777 - their biggest remaining airliner and as close to a 747 as we'll get anymore

787 - aka the Dreamliner

767 - they have kept a line in operation, but only for freighters - UPS, Amazon Prime, etc. use them a lot!

797 - new plane to slot into niche

737 - local and domestic workhorse

- - - - -

What do I know? I just know which airplanes I like, but that's aside from how they pencil out. Primarily, I wish Boeing success.  

Edited by trinacriabob
  • Agree 2

• 1 month later...

They "sent" me this article.  It was a wake up call and I didn't know how good we had it, so to speak.  This is sad.

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/the-a340/index.html

It contains a lot of great information.  I came to realize that pilots and passengers alike very much like them. There's the earlier 300 with the 4 "skinny" engines and I flew on one by Swiss in the recent past.  However, I haven't flown on the 600, with its 4 large engines, in a long time.  Since the 600 is longer and carries a lot of passengers, those 4 large engines "might" pencil.

Currently, only Lufthansa flies the A340-600.  They also have a small number of the earlier A340-300s, as does Swiss.  Lufthansa brought the A340s back while temporarily mothballing their ginormous A380s, which are being put back into service (out of Munich and not out of Frankfurt).

Here's one coming into LAX.  Beautiful.

I would really like to fly on an Airbus A340-600, so I'll be looking on the schedules to get routed on one.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I believe the jet lag is over, but a week ago I spent from 7:00 am to 11:00 pm in flight, with the time change realistically putting me in at about 5:00 am the next day - Rome to Frankfurt, Frankfurt to Houston, and Houston to Florida.  I picked Houston as the connection point because Lufthansa was using the popular 747-400 while the few operators of the jumbo have 747-8s (so does Lufthansa).

20240403_085939.thumb.jpg.f97eda66e727a8db59445545967e462e.jpg

That's a 747-400 at Frankfurt, also with the new livery, but not the plane bound to Houston ... Lufthansa also uses this equipment on the Frankfurt-Toronto route.  Most North America flights use the 747-8.

20240403_093102.thumb.jpg.deaa415039c0b3be80c8f5162b9f36b9.jpg

This is the one for the flight to Houston ... the one at the left has the old blue and gold livery

20240403_131817.thumb.jpg.0ff117088fdf9b04406b949c3ff78ac4.jpg

Going over the top of the world to get from point A to point B

20240403_105525.thumb.jpg.7938434d4caee16f01fb4b3d66e5b5dd.jpg

The Germans make Kanada and Kongo look and sound Germanic ... love the flight monitor instead of trying to take in a movie or music with the background noise

20240403_143458.thumb.jpg.b2e0ab5aa40d50471ff5f6da514493b3.jpg

The plane's icon is quite close to Greenland ... some flights on this route go over it and some fly even further south of it.

20240403_130826.thumb.jpg.e3d30a95ab5a3bd29b5b9f0123a79b86.jpg

I like that last window seat in one of the "twins" all the way at the back, with there being 3 across just a few rows up

20240403_185220.thumb.jpg.a6d5b853323f7ff33f44226fe1da4fa6.jpg

The view forward from the rearmost of 5 cabin segments on the main level ... I am as taken with the the jumbo jet as I was as a teenager, if not more.  The diversity of people on these international flights is interesting and something to see.

20240403_195434.thumb.jpg.df570b364ce7fdf470fd386a36609374.jpg

The outermost engine on this quadjet seen while descending over Eastern Texas and approaching Houston-IAH Bush airport.  When the seat flight monitor tells you how many miles you are from The Woodlands, you know you're close to Houston!

It was an amazing day and all flight segments got in a little early.  Also, for the -400 not being as humidified and climate controlled as the 8-i version, the almost 10 hour flight did not wear on me all that much.

I'm staying temporarily to do some things I have to do and then heading back.

Edited by trinacriabob
  • Like 1